PDA

View Full Version : Recycling

Vistravi
08-Oct-10, 14:21
What does everyone think of the council's proposal of having fortnight waste picks ups to encourage recycling?

I think its a good idea myself personally as my partner's parents recycle what they can and they never have full bin issues. It's something my partner and myself have done in our past flats ourselves.

Dadie
08-Oct-10, 14:46
Not a good idea..
Smelly bin in the summer.. nappies..
It would only work if it was alternate weeks with the recycling bins..once a month is too long to wait as the recycling bin is full before that.
Some weeks I struggle to find space in my bin other weeks its nearly empty....
I recycle the recycables but its the other things like tetra paks and food cartons (and now food waste..leftovers from kids plates.. as poppy dog is not allowed to be the dustbin for that anymore)
But its mostly nappies..and I do use my real nappies too..but with 2 in nappies they soon mount up!
Or the toddler switching off the freezer accident ending in £180 worth of pork having to be thrown out...3 large black bags..wouldnt have liked to have that hanging around for a fortnight!

Kodiak
08-Oct-10, 14:52
If you had cooked all your defrosted meat then you would have been able to refreeze no problem, it would have saved throwing it all away and £180. :D

Dadie
08-Oct-10, 15:06
Couldnt...the freezer had been off for about a week if not more...It wasnt nice when I opened the lid...:eek:
I couldnt have cooked it all even if it was ok...it was a whole pig ... there was (at least) 8 decent sized roasts...24+ chops...plus other bits...it filled my chest freezer to the top...
I switched the freezer back on so that I could empty it without boaking..and it wasnt nasty for the binmen emptying the bin!
I rarely go in that freezer as its out the back and generally use the fridge freezer for everyday stuff...its kept for butchermeat only.
If its not full of butchermeat I fill it up with bread to keep it full ...

Cattach
08-Oct-10, 15:31
What does everyone think of the council's proposal of having fortnight waste picks ups to encourage recycling?

I think its a good idea myself personally as my partner's parents recycle what they can and they never have full bin issues. It's something my partner and myself have done in our past flats ourselves.

I have no problem with the principle and for couple will work well. Families might need two bins for rubbish for landfill. Of course, saying it is to promote recycling, while it may do, is not the council's real reason for the change. It is about cutting costs and therefore jobs.

shamrock2007
08-Oct-10, 15:35
We are really good at recycling but the bin is always full every week without fail! Dreading it. Will stink aswell after picking up dog poo its going to be lovely in the summer! Not!!!!! They could save money in other ways such as stop going around looking for brown bins to empty in the winter months!

Bobinovich
08-Oct-10, 16:50
...such as stop going around looking for brown bins to empty in the winter months!

Absolutely! It must be a quick run cos I rarely see any at that time :)

changilass
08-Oct-10, 16:59
In Lancaster brown bin collection is stopped at the end of october and not restarted till march. Anyone with any garden waste during that time has to take it to the tip themselves.

cherokee
08-Oct-10, 18:25
Yep, I must agree with others on here....

The smell that "certain" items put into the general wheelie bin, would be utterly disgusting after a period of 2 weeks !!!

I know, I put my cat's litter "offerings" into our main bin (as according to "The Council") , and even after two/three days it smells - even though I wrap it up as best I can! :confused

As others have commented upon - do we really need to go back to Victorian Times ????

As another poster put on here, why is the Council making cuts regarding waste disposal....... is there nothing else that could possibly be cut-back on (mmmmm, something comes to mind....... Councillor's Wages EG... ???) rather than the community having to suffer; smells, rat infestation, etc ??

Come Off It Highland Council !!!!!!!!
Get a grip on what you should be doing for the county!!!!! [evil]

unicorn
08-Oct-10, 18:52
I saw 3 council workers in the precinct today changing the daft street sign stone on the ground to a lovely new shiny MOD one, there is an immediate saving, also who on earth put up and paid for the stones on the building beside the grove lounge.
I do think the bins may not be full but they will be stinking.
Yummy dog waste bagged, cat litter, nappies, the bluebottles will be buzzing round like a picture in an old Beano magazine.
Oh the joys!
However will they afford the pest control that will inevitably be a necessity within a few months?

summer
08-Oct-10, 19:17
It would only work if it was alternate weeks with the recycling bins..once a month is too long to wait as the recycling bin is full before that.
I agree with that. I could easily fill my recycling bin twice over.

I'd also really appreciate a garden waste bin as I've got a big garden and couldn't possibly compost the amount of garden waste produced.

orkneycadian
09-Oct-10, 12:02
Smelly bin in the summer.. nappies..

Real nappies?

I recycle the recycables but its the other things like tetra paks and food cartons

Fire?

(and now food waste..leftovers from kids plates.. as poppy dog is not allowed to be the dustbin for that anymore)

Hens?

Will stink aswell after picking up dog poo its going to be lovely in the summer!

Mideen?

Blarney
09-Oct-10, 23:05
I recycle everything I possibly can and to be honest they could wait at least three weeks before emptying my grey bin although I do put it out for collection fortnightly at the moment.
It's ridiculous that we have to trek to the recycling centre weekly with our household recycling as we already pay council tax to have it taken away.

I think the only way that they could get this scheme to work as they want it to is to provide us with a separate wheelie bin for recycling items such as paper, plastic etc. as the current wee blue box is a joke - it holds little or nothing.
There are hundreds on the dole, community service and the like who could be given gainful employment to separate the different items from the mixed recycling bins and it would then be a doubly useful exercise.

Bobinovich
09-Oct-10, 23:20
I believe the towns and villages WILL be getting the bigger blue wheely bins for recyclable stuff :D

Mrs Bucket
10-Oct-10, 09:24
Cherokee suggested making savings by cutting councillors wages I agree. I believe they get a large allowance for travelling to meetings in Inverness when they could and should use public transport or at least have four to a car. Im sure time is spent shopping on occasions at the taxpayers expense.