PDA

View Full Version : Continental Market

neepnipper
27-Jul-06, 08:24
Does anyone know if the plant stall is at the continental market in Thurso? Are there any different stalls there than when it was in Wick?

gunnlass
27-Jul-06, 11:08
Yes the plant stall is there, not sure if anything different wasn't at last one.

Moonboots
28-Jul-06, 10:08
Looks as if all the stalls are the same as the last one in Wick.

Bobinovich
28-Jul-06, 15:05
Mmmmmm! Just come back from a wander around. A shared lunch of paella, the tattie slices with smoked bacon thing, and a few mini sugar-topped pancakes. Michty nice...

Overall impression was of some alternative edibles if you're adventurous enough to try a few of them, and of some overpriced sweets!! Trying to get the kids NOT to just go for cola bottles and things which can be bought for a quarter of the price locally was difficult, persuading them to try new foods even more difficult!!!

However, welcome visitors with some genuinely different produce who have, if nothing else, made me realise just how many people can fit into the Thurso precinct...

neepnipper
28-Jul-06, 15:10
Just got back from the market, got some excellent plants at a fantastic price which is what I went for. Nice smells wafting around and seemed to be a few different stalls than was in Wick.

changilass
28-Jul-06, 15:23
Anyone know what time its open till?

Mr P Cannop
28-Jul-06, 16:08
i think 5.30

Gogglebox
28-Jul-06, 22:32
On behalf on Thurso Town Improvements
(it was us that invited them here just to settle that rumour)

Can i just clarify that the Market is open
Saturday 8:30 - -atleast 5:30 AND
Sunday 10am - 4ish
A few people seemed to think it was only too Saturday so just to clear that up DEFINATELY SUNDAY OPENING !!

Seems to be going quite well if volume of people is a guide
Local and Continental traders seem happy and have asked to come back
(Ive already got that in hand) so trade must be brisk

Still want to sell more tickets for our gala draw though - -we
(Thurso Town Improvements) dont seem to be getting time to benefit from inviting them here - -so if anyone is a natural salesman and fancies ago at it for us - -PLEASE come down and see us tomorrow about 10am (Ask for Graeme or Doreen) Its really quite unique prizes :

Weekend Golf Break to Carnoustie,

Limo Serviceto Portland for Dinner and back,

Local Landscape Picture of your choice (worth £500)

Your OWN Radio Show for a night,

Vintage Car to Forss House Hotel for Dinner and back

plus various other prizes

It would be ashame to not benefit from it
ALSO
there is a bonus draw on tickets bought in The Continental Market as we will put them all in the hat on Sunday at 2pm and someone will win a £150 Hamper from the Market
So we've got a great raffle just need great salemen!!! HELP

Gogglebox
28-Jul-06, 22:34
One slight disappointment to the visit of the Market :
One woman and a gentleman trader were intimidated, had things thrown at them on the first night and the language was vile - - -while taking down their stalls - - A great advert for our town!!

I believe this certain gang have been causing problem in the precinct for a while - - - - They will be the ones moaning nothing every happens here!!

Its because of pondlife like that that events do not come back

WE ARE WATCHING YOU!
YOU WILL BE MADE TO LOOK LIKE THE SILLY IMMATURE LITTLE BOYS YOU ARE - -
You are an embarrassment to your town!
They dont do Markets for you to trash in borstal!

You can tell i have a bee in my bonnet about it but why are our streets run by kids and cowered in by adults?

luskentyre
28-Jul-06, 23:28
One woman and a gentleman trader were intimidated, had things thrown at them on the first night and the language was vile - - -while taking down their stalls - - A great advert for our town!!

I believe this certain gang have been causing problem in the precinct for a while - - - - They will be the ones moaning nothing every happens here!!

WE ARE WATCHING YOU!

You can tell i have a bee in my bonnet about it but why are our streets run by kids and cowered in by adults?

That's terrible - what must these traders think about the locals? The traders bring a bit of life and variety to the town - the "gang" bring nothing.

mostlyharmless
29-Jul-06, 01:16
Why is there not a regular market there like wick every week for local smallholders etc to sell local stuff?

Naefearjustbeer
29-Jul-06, 01:37
I for one took a wonder down the precinct today and was quite impressed by the stalls. I honestly thought before I went that it would be a load of rubbish but was quite happy to be proved wrong. The only thing was I thought it was a bit pricey but all things considered it wasnt too expensive or i wouldnt of bought stuff.
As for the local Neds it is about time the police were allowed to take them round the corner and give them a good crack with a truncheon. It would save a lot of paperwork and court time. But I am sure every village has its idiots and these traders have probally seen it all before somewhere else.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Jul-06, 01:41
Why is there not a regular market there like wick every week for local smallholders etc to sell local stuff?

I dont think it would work as well in thurso as it does in wick. Wick in my opinion has a much better community spirit. And I think they would support it better than Thurso folk would. You just have to look at the difference between the 2 gala nights to see that. Wickers are wickers however thurso has a wider mixture of folk and I dont think it has such a tight knit community spirit.

Gogglebox
29-Jul-06, 05:53
Did many of you know that there is a farmers market in Thurso
Apparently its every week up in Thurso College

I was certainly surprised to learn of it this week

Dont have any information othere than that but maybe someone out there knows something!

changilass
29-Jul-06, 06:04
Would be interested in hearing of the farmers market if you can get anymore info:D

Moonboots
29-Jul-06, 10:33
I think a weekly or maybe fortnightly market in Thurso would work. I for one would have a market stall and I know a friend of mine would do the same.

Personally If other towns/cities can do it then why not Thurso

connieb19
29-Jul-06, 10:40

Dont have any information othere than that but maybe someone out there knows something!Sounds good, I bet there's loads of people who would be interested to know more about this..:)

phoenix
29-Jul-06, 17:36
Was at the Market today in Thurso and bought a few goodies..........best of it all was my other half had some Euros on him and thought what better place to use them than at the Market..........the German stall refused to take them so did the French.........he ended up giving them to the guy at the stall with all the wooden carvings of Elephants etc. The poor manny looked at him saying "what you want" my hubby said "we want nothing, take the Euros keep them nobody wants them" to which the wifie at the stall said "Thankyou very much well keep it and give to The Elephant Hospital Fund when we get back" Hows about that then? :Razz Just for you Gleber2! :Razz

Gleber2
29-Jul-06, 17:41
Just for you Gleber2! :Razz

Pachyderms forever grateful:cool:

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jul-06, 00:55
I bought one of them wooden elephants for the wife and she was delighted. Only problem was when the bairn spotted it she thought it was for her so they have negotiated a joint custody of the said lump of wood. Females !! :roll:

Loafer
03-Aug-06, 17:37

Dont have any information othere than that but maybe someone out there knows something!

Any idea of the day/time??

The Loafer

unicorn
03-Aug-06, 18:41

WE ARE WATCHING YOU!

someone told me just the other night they were hassled by kids as they came out of the precinct and the language they used was disgusting. It's sad that people will use back streets instead of passing these kids.

Kingetter
03-Aug-06, 19:20
I hear its all too expensive (except plants maybe), on two days, Christies shop (99p) was empty but for 2 staff presumably getting bored waiting for customers, loaves of bread open to the air (and people handling them) and no attempt at hygiene - yet a shop would not get away with it due to regulations, and questions about food not wrapped being stored overnight - in what sort of conditions?

A market is a good idea and one selling local stuff as has already been suggested, but who in Thurso needs to buy the wooden things with a trunk (there - didn't use the word so didn't swear lol)? But a local market needs local support!

If Wick has a better community spirit, then Thurso could learn from this kind of activity maybe.