PDA

View Full Version : Wetherspoons.

2little2late
27-Jul-06, 00:21
Wife and I took the bairns to Wetherspoons, Market square, Wick today for a treat. It's the first time we have been in the place. After hearing some good and some not so good recommendations about the establishment,the only thing to do was to try it ourselves. I have to say we will not be eating there again. The wee man's favourite food is spaghetti bolognaise and imagine his excitement when he saw it on the kid's menu. The daughter had curry and rice and I had fish chips and peas and the wife had her meal. We were very displeased with our food altogether and for the price we paid too!

If this is what Wetherspoons call good food then I have to say it was not very nice at all. Head office will be receiving a letter from me in the very near future. I realise it is not the chef's fault, they can only cook with what food they get from Wetherspoons suppliers. If Wetherspoons wish to provide a good service they should start by sorting their food out and start using fresh instead of pre packed.

I apologise if this sounds harsh, but when you pay the price for good food, good food is what you expect.

Doolally
27-Jul-06, 07:21
What was wrong with it?

I've always had a nice meal in Weatherspoons. It's not top of the range, but you get what you pay for.

wicker
27-Jul-06, 09:15
the tikka massala is good and i had the sunday roast chicken other week and thought it was tasty, well apart fae the veg that was on plate but apart from that mmm. Thats eh only times i eat there. Try sinclairs just as cheap and all homemade well worth the money.

rockchick
27-Jul-06, 12:46
I've ordered the exact same item at different times from Wetherspoons and had completely different results. I once ordered their Indian mixed dish and the bahjis (sorry about the spelling!) were burnt to a crisp, but the previous week I'd had the same dish and everything was lovely.

It's "ping" food, and for £5.99 I don't really expect haute cuisine, but I do expect that when I have a complaint about the food it is dealt with quickly and efficiently, and I have to say Wetherspoons do do that. When I wasn't happy with the bahjis and they weren't able to get proper replacements, I was offered a refund (just for the bajhis tho, not the whole meal).

Add that to the cheap drinks and great cask ales, and I'd have to say I'd go back!

Rose
28-Jul-06, 16:14
I used to eat in wetherspoons alot but now i cant even say when i was last there, I always seem to get cold chips and my kids cant eat what the portions thay give them. The last time i went in i asked for an extra plate and a tea spoon as my youngest is too little to use a knife and fork and the waitress rolled her eyes and came back with the plate and threw the spoon at me. I prefer sinclairs as they are btr for the kids they get a free ice lollie.

obiron
28-Jul-06, 18:50
was in wetherspoons the day its cheap i guess the food is ok not had a bad one yet. Anyone else noticed that one time you can have loads on the plate and another time very little.odd. Sinclairs is miles better the food is really nice there have to wait a wee while but it is cooked properly instead of the microwave stuff you get in spoons.

erli
28-Jul-06, 19:18
was in wetherspoons the day its cheap i guess the food is ok not had a bad one yet. Anyone else noticed that one time you can have loads on the plate and another time very little.odd. Sinclairs is miles better the food is really nice there have to wait a wee while but it is cooked properly instead of the microwave stuff you get in spoons.

I don't mind waiting for my food to come. What I do mind is waiting to get served. Why do they only ever have one member of staff behind the bar and about four of them waiting on tables when there is a line of folk standing at the bar ready to order.

rfr10
29-Jul-06, 13:09
A lot of the "chefs" in the Wetherspoons aren't trained and they Microwave a lot of their food but I don't know if they still do that because it is supposed to be illegal for restaurants to use Microwaves now.

In my oppinion, I have nothing against the food in the Wetherspoons. Good price- good food. But also, I know that they don't allow you to take a baby in the place without you placing an order for baby food which I think is stupid.

alice
31-Jul-06, 19:08
Hope when you write to head office you get a better reply than when a group of us sent a letter of complaint at Easter. They just said that they were sorry and that they would keep an eye on things by sending in a "mystery customer". Seven of us sent letters of complaint and only five of us received the same reply the other two letters were not even acknowledged.

jaykay
01-Aug-06, 17:00
I have had meals in quite a few Wetherspoons pubs throut the UK and the food is generally very good. However I have tried the Wetherspoons food in their Wick establishment on two occasions and both times the food was absolutley terrible. I can only conclude from this that it is the Wick Cook's that is the problem. Perhaps Wetherspoons should be looking at replacing the Cook's!

kas
01-Aug-06, 20:53
Brother in law got a centipede in his food there a few months back, needless to say they have never been back. Up until then, they had always enjoyed their food there.

connieb19
01-Aug-06, 22:30
Brother in law got a centipede in his food there a few months back, needless to say they have never been back. Up until then, they had always enjoyed their food there.Did they charge him extra? :eek:

Naefearjustbeer
02-Aug-06, 01:09
I have had meals in quite a few Wetherspoons pubs throut the UK and the food is generally very good. However I have tried the Wetherspoons food in their Wick establishment on two occasions and both times the food was absolutley terrible. I can only conclude from this that it is the Wick Cook's that is the problem. Perhaps Wetherspoons should be looking at replacing the Cook's!

I have been twice once it was excellent the other time very poor. It is cheap though so not expecting too much in the first place. I would far rather get fresh cooked grub somewhere else and pay more for it. both times I went it was someone elses idea to go.

A rumour I heard a while back was that Weatherspoons only bought and developed the place in wick as they had to buy it as part of a job lot of ex post office buildings. They were going to open it then let it go down the tubes and cut there losses. However it became one of the chains more profitable pubs and they are happy to keep it running. How much of that is true as I dont know as I think it came from a drunk employee to a drunk listener (me).

wick-girl
02-Aug-06, 17:24
wetherspoons is not a restuarant its a pub who sell basic pub food,they maybe do use microwaves but not for all there food they sell, ,its actually a busy pub for food and drink but there seem to be a lot of complainers who have little else to do but criticise the place,mistakes can be made but easily sorted if your not happy with your meal im sure it will be sorted for you if you complain when your there,as for the cooks whom have been there since a while they surely cant be that bad or they wouldnt be there anymore

Seabird
02-Aug-06, 19:18
I doubt i'll ever know what the food tastes like.
It took me 15 minutes to get a glass of coke and there was only 3 people in front of me.
It would have taken longer but a 2nd staff member came and assisted.
If it takes 15 minutes to get a drink, i would probably starve before i got any food. (i might add there were few people using the place when i was there at 10.30am today.)

Murchiemannie
02-Aug-06, 20:19
Three of us went to Weatherspoons at the weekend at lunchtime and spent longer standing in a queue to order than it took to eat .
Thought food was very mediocre and will certainly not be going back.
Try the Nethercliff Hotel.
Better food , less hassle and and value for money.:)

catherine nicol
05-Aug-06, 07:56
We went there at Easter, waited ages to get served, yes only one member of staff behind bar on a very busy easter weekend !

We waited and waited and waited. After an hour I went to ask how much longer we would have to wait and bar person said she didn't know. 15 minutes later food came out.............cold. Had it been sitting for the hour before it was delivered !!!

Won't ever have food there again but love their hot chocolate........mmm.

By the way I did complain to the manager and that fell on deaf ears, don't know how others have had success complaining in there....he just wasn't interested.

Another table of ladies nearby waited ages for their food too and told us to complain as they have often had the need to complain. They did warn us that the manager was not a pleasant chap.........I can't disagree with that.

Don't worry I am not complaining about the food type or cost, didn't expect haute cuisine for that money but would have liked to have been able to eat what we got............on hindsight we should have had a salad, lol.

I highly recommend the Queens Hotel. mmmmmm.

Astra
05-Aug-06, 22:08
The food crap and the service is poor took the kids the once and once only .Anyway we sat down at the table and went to order and was then told we had to move because children went allowed to sit there and the bit were the children do sit was full. So we had to wait till a table came available anyway like say poor service and wont be going there again .

bigpete
15-Aug-06, 09:32
Hi
Went to wetherspoons yesterday - usually the food is ok. Had a breakfast, went up to the counter to order coffee - with the usual wait whilst ONE person served - eventually got to the front "two coffees please". - "sorry" he says; "no coffee we've run out of coffee beans".
Suggested they nip over to Somerfields and get some beans was met with a blank stare.

Nearly knocked over the sandwich-board outside; '69p coffee' if ther 'aint got it, take the sign down.

Come on JD get your staff and supplies sorted out

AtomicBetty
15-Aug-06, 13:19
I've had mixed experiences of Wetherspoons - one time you can go in and the food is quite good and quickly served, another time it's cr*p and you can wait for ages.

I once complained to the manager that my chips weren't cooked - they were completely white and still hard - did he apologise - did he heck! He said that the chips are timed, therefore all the chips are cooked for the same length of time resulting in none being over or undercooked?!?! He said that the oil had just been changed and that's why they would be white

After a blank uninterested look from myself he said he would get me some more! To be honest he just made me feel like a complete idiot for complaining.

I also don't think the food is that cheap? Some things are but others not - not any cheaper than Neathercliff or Sinclairs?