PDA

View Full Version : Tory Free Schools

bagpuss
07-Oct-10, 18:13
The house two door up from me has been turned into a free school. It has seven teachers (all yummy mummies who only want to work part time) job sharing, and it has 20 pupils ranging from 7 to 16 years old. All the pupils are children who live in the street. There is £6000 for each child allocated from the government, and the teachers are each working 2.5 days a week.

The biggest class in the school is 5 pupils, and one of them is a relative of the PM. Do you think it would work in Scotland? It might save some small schools if they were to turn into free schools

Duncansby
07-Oct-10, 18:54
Are the teachers trained?

George Brims
07-Oct-10, 21:00
When I read the headline I first thought "That's a good idea" (add a hyphen between the first two words).

bagpuss
07-Oct-10, 21:29
teachers are all trained and used to work in local primary schools- the main one used to teach at They concentrate on 'gifted' children- and have places booked for their own broods.

All you have to do is opt out of local control and run your budget your own way- and be prepared to be visited by Ofsted. and given that one of the teachers is married to a guy in ofsted- not a huge issue.

Nice way of winding down- or even avoiding retirement.