PDA

View Full Version : learning how to sign?

dragonfly
26-Jul-06, 22:18
my daughter is keen to learn sign language but unsure how to go about it.

She knows how to sign the letters of the alphabet but wants to go on from that. I have emailed the local branch of deaf care but (pardon the pun) not heard anything back from them

Anyone got any suggestions?

hammers
26-Jul-06, 22:28
Hi There an ex neighbour done a course at wick college last year for sign language,don`t know if they are doing the course this year but might be worth a try.

gleeber
26-Jul-06, 22:33

She knows how to sign the letters of the alphabet but wants to go on from that. I have emailed the local branch of deaf care but (pardon the pun) not heard anything back from them

Hows about if you learnt it from your daughter? It wont take more than half an hour to become aquaint with the symbols. Then the 2 of you could pick up the difficult bit together by practicing between yourselves.

dirdyweeker
26-Jul-06, 22:35
I did a course at Wick college last year too. The Deaf Care Centre though is your first line of contact as they had courses organised. Was a Saturday but not sure now when it is on. Deirdre Aitken from DCC will let you know.

Ann
26-Jul-06, 22:41

http://www.caithness.org/community/healthandwelfare/caithnessdeafcare.htm
There is a lot of info here including lip reading and signing. Also contact details for Deirdre who will look after you. Phoning may be your best bet then you know will get to talk to someone.