PDA

View Full Version : Hoover for your lady?

rockchick
26-Jul-06, 17:49
Guys, would you buy your wife/girlfriend/etc. a hoover for her birthday or for Christmas? (assuming she has not actually asked you for one)

Ladies? If you were the recipient of said gift, would it be (a) welcomed, or (b) accepted quietly but fuming under your breath or (c) returned to the shop as quickly as possible or (d) other?

Dreadnought
26-Jul-06, 17:53
I think if I gave my other half a Hoover for her birthday or Chrimbo the resulting X-ray would be shown at Doctors parties for decades... :eek:

hammers
26-Jul-06, 18:06
I think if I gave my other half a Hoover for her birthday or Chrimbo the resulting X-ray would be shown at Doctors parties for decades... :eek:

Have to agree with Dreadnought,if i gave a hoover as gift the narrow end would be shoved where the sun dont shine.

obiron
26-Jul-06, 18:56
Guys, would you buy your wife/girlfriend/etc. a hoover for her birthday or for Christmas? (assuming she has not actually asked you for one)

Ladies? If you were the recipient of said gift, would it be (a) welcomed, or (b) accepted quietly but fuming under your breath or (c) returned to the shop as quickly as possible or (d) other?

wouldnt welcome it unless it was a top of the range dyson. could return it and keep the money for myself lol. Buying a hoover is one of those things the house needs its not a birthday pressie.

Billy Boy
26-Jul-06, 19:17

can i assume that your other half bought you one ?????lol

i remember mrs billy boy bought me a socket set in a case for my birthday and then bought me the exact same one for my christmas, and the penny never dropped even when i showed her the both sets side by side, she stood there with a puzzled look on her face and then asked me where i got the other one from.....[lol]

p.s. does anyone want to buy a socket set[lol]

scorrie
26-Jul-06, 20:18
Guys, would you buy your wife/girlfriend/etc. a hoover for her birthday or for Christmas?

No. I am sure it does happen though. That is the reason why they come complete with a crevice tool ;o)

Billy Boy
26-Jul-06, 20:18
http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzza/i/ifmendidhousework.jpg

riggerboy
26-Jul-06, 20:37
my wife once asked for a gold watch for her birthday, i really didnt understand why she need one as the was a clock on the cooker.

candyfloss
26-Jul-06, 20:53
I think i would be stunned if my other half bought me a hoover as a pressie and not in a good way either :eek: I think he would know better than to do it though

connieb19
26-Jul-06, 21:00
I was given a frying pan and a bag of sticks one Christmas. Another time i was given mens aftershave..:roll:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:18
http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzza/i/ifmendidhousework.jpg
Noo thats the business....:lol:

connieb19
26-Jul-06, 21:20
http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzza/i/ifmendidhousework.jpgLol, do you have one to do the car? :lol:

Ann
26-Jul-06, 22:51
Does the driver come with it? ;)

canuck
26-Jul-06, 22:58

Rockchick, you have fallen under the spell of that exotic word "hoover". Really, it is just a good old vacuum cleaner, akin to a swear word in my vocabulary. No one would dare give me one as a pressie.

Big Jean
27-Jul-06, 03:32
If one were to be given to me, it would have to come with an additional wrapped gift of a person to do the actual job !!! Otherwise it doesn't rate very high on my list as a present !! Mind you, hubby could be taught to use it ! hee hee

brandy
27-Jul-06, 11:07
my dad gave my mum one for chrisse one year.. about 10 years ago.. i dont think she has forgiven him yet!!!
however she does like to get nice sheets and bedlinen and cookery things at chrissie..

Rubha_an_Tuir
27-Jul-06, 13:14
My old man bought my mum a wheelbarrow for Christmas one year....he genuinely believed it was a nice gift. I'm getting my missus a socket set this year and maybe a new trolley jack.......

cookie
27-Jul-06, 15:14
Don't think buying a hoover for your partner is agood idea!! She might hit you with it.

rockchick
27-Jul-06, 19:41
can i assume that your other half bought you one ?????lol

I have to say (because Mr. Rockchick is EXTREMELY annoyed that anyone would think this of him!) that no, my current husband has never given me anything so mundane for a gift!

My Ex-husband, on the other hand, bought me that most dreaded appliance - an iron. I divorced him shortly afterwards...and I'm not too sure that one didn't have anything to do with the other...grin

Errogie
28-Jul-06, 10:53
I've also got to confess to having once given a wheelbarrow to my other half for her birthday and have never been allowed to forget it but that was easily surpassed by the charming wooden pig that I bought one Christmas on the way home from the office party. My conscience being pricked by the approaching day and lack of inspiration.

Should have been warned because after the purchase I wandered into another hostelry with a slight nagging doubt and sought the opinion of some ladies in the company with predictable results! But this has to be surpassed by a gamekeeper friend who proudly presented his wife with a magnificent stuffed crow inside a glass dome.

footie chick
28-Jul-06, 12:18
But this has to be surpassed by a gamekeeper friend who proudly presented his wife with a magnificent stuffed crow inside a glass dome.

NICE :eek:

Bobinovich
28-Jul-06, 14:58
The hoover sits in
its own little cupboard space
gathering much dust!!! [lol]

sapphire
28-Jul-06, 15:00
Who likes hoovering ?.....IT SUCKS!!!!!![lol]

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 16:06
Very good, Sapphire. Personally, I think that all you little ladies are missing the point. If it weren't for the kind-heartedness and loving nature of us hubbies you would still be sweeping up the dust with a wee pan and brush. :eek:

sapphire
28-Jul-06, 16:09
OOooooooooo....I'm not going to bite at all.
...............BUT.............
It's good to know that you men take care of us poor pathetic creatures soooooo well !!!

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 16:11
Oh, go on, Sapphire. You know you want to. I thought this thread needed livening up (but you know I don't really mean it ;)

sapphire
28-Jul-06, 16:15
I'm not so sure that I'm the person you need to engage with if you want his thread 'livening up'.After all I for one would keep the hoover out of the cupboard and lock the man in.They are so much better if you can just take them out when you need them!!!! lol. :D

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 16:22
I'm not so sure that I'm the person you need to engage with if you want his thread 'livening up'.After all I for one would keep the hoover out of the cupboard and lock the man in.They are so much better if you can just take them out when you need them!!!! lol. :D

Oh, I wish I got taken out of the cupboard now and then! :roll:

sapphire
28-Jul-06, 16:27
Well Ricco...I don't believe for one moment that someone sooo generous to the ladies as yourself would ever be left in a cupboard all lonely.
Still I'm sure there will be a spider or two to keep you company.....You know I'm starting to feel sorry for you myself!!!!;)

canuck
28-Jul-06, 18:28
...that was easily surpassed by the charming wooden pig that I bought one Christmas on the way home from the office party. My conscience being pricked by the approaching day and lack of inspiration.

Oh, errogie, if you had only consulted me about the pig I would have warned you. It must have been the rage that year (whatever year that was) because my "now ex" husband also arrived home with a pig. Mine was clay rather than wood, but the same thoughts were surely formed in my Canadian based head as were generated in Scotland.

Sporran
28-Jul-06, 20:53

My answer would be (c). Then I'd buy something personal for myself with the refund money. Perhaps a nice piece of jewellery or some new clothes.

My husband knows better than to buy me a household gadget as a present, though. For our first anniversary, he bought me a lovely Seiko watch, and I was really delighted. But on our second or third anniversary, he bought me an electric blender, and I was not thrilled at all! That was the first and last time he made a mistake like that, because it was ages before I let him live it down! :lol:

Errogie
29-Jul-06, 15:26
Cannuck,
There's nothing wrong with pigs they really are charming animals, but just not the best present for your nearest and dearest unless in the form of a nice smoked ham or some rashers of smoked bacon.

I did purchase our Dyson however but it was a great disappointment and failed altogether after a couple of years so I put it in the careful hands of a lady scarecrow who is permanently hoovering a field at the back of the house not far from the gent on an old bike at the other side. The birds are kind of used to them by now but the tourists certainly do a double take when they come up the road!

However scarecrow construction is a whole art form in itself and worthy of its own thread so I won't set of on a treatise here and instead just sit back and try to envisage the fun and thrills taking place at Halkirk games this afternoon.

Sporran
29-Jul-06, 18:33
I've also got to confess to having once given a wheelbarrow to my other half for her birthday and have never been allowed to forget it but that was easily surpassed by the charming wooden pig that I bought one Christmas on the way home from the office party.

The wooden pig might have been more appreciated by a German wife, lol! In Germany, pigs, chimney sweeps, and ladybirds (ladybugs) are all symbols of good luck, as well as four leaf clovers and horseshoes.

bagpuss
29-Jul-06, 23:24
I had a female friend whose seduction technique was to turn up on the doorstep of bachelor males and ask if they wished the loan of her Dyson. It worked like a charm. Their girlfriends usually regretted it if the chap took her up on her offer.