PDA

View Full Version : **** warning to all horse owners ****

liz_paul
06-Oct-10, 21:18
*******WARNING ALL HORSE OWNERS IN CAITHNESS*****

My mum found a plait in the mane of her TB gelding in the Murkle Area tonight. I have read articals on this and heard this is what horse thieves do to a horse there going to steal. The police have been called and the incident reported. The police advised the horses to be put inside and padlocked in. The plait is not obvious as they have done it under the top layer so i advise everyone to check through the manes.

When I heard these stories before I assumed the whole mane of the horse had been plaited (foolish I know) however it's NOT the whole mane. Nor was the plait OBVIOUS just by glancing at the horse. The plait was under the mane - losely done by the neck but very tight at the bottom and tied in a knot.

Please be vigilant - who knows if this is a real threat or if it's some sick minded individual who knows it will give horse owners a nasty fright.

As my friends husband says there is only one road out of the county at the moment with berriedale shut in the evenings - the police confirmed that there are evening patrols as a result of these incidents...I was told only today that a horse at Achalone had also received this treatment. Plus one in Dunnet and one in Tain which was stolen!!

The link below has a picture of a plait and my mums horse had one exact same...

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/3016/straight_from_the_horses_mane.html (http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/3016/straight_from_the_horses_mane.html)

aurora32
06-Oct-10, 22:35
Thanks for making us aware, ive got a gelding not far from there and 2 fillies arriving tomorrow, will be extra vigilant for the next while i think.

Wellies
06-Oct-10, 22:37
Off to check mine right now. Torch in hand.

Liz
06-Oct-10, 22:43
That is just awful!!!:eek:

Whether it is just someone playing a sick joke or not it must be a very worrying time for horse owners.

It is really good that the Police are on the case though and very handy that Berriedale is closed at night.
Might be enough to stop this if the plaits are actually being made by potential thieves.

Should put a mouse trap in the horses' manes!!!

froal
07-Oct-10, 18:22
There was one pony /yearling in Brough that her mane was plaited too she's a very pretty one think thats why she was targeted but no others in the village, mine are well protected in the garden...!!:eek:

Rocky
07-Oct-10, 20:10
It makes you wonder what they are after?? Are they stealing to order if this is what is going on?? or something else. It is a very worrying time for all horse owners. Just hope that as many people are aware and hopefully the public will be vigilant and keep there eye going too for any lorries/horse boxes moving about at night.:confused Spread the news guys!!!

Liz
07-Oct-10, 20:17
It makes you wonder what they are after?? Are they stealing to order if this is what is going on?? or something else. It is a very worrying time for all horse owners. Just hope that as many people are aware and hopefully the public will be vigilant and keep there eye going too for any lorries/horse boxes moving about at night.:confused Spread the news guys!!!

Well I'll be down seeing your boys later tonight and if I hear any lorries passing by during the night I will get up to check!
I think yours would be pretty safe though as the gates are quite a bit off the road aren't they? Well I haven't seen them? Also, your horses are in quite a built up area with plenty of lighting.

It is really awful that this is going on and I truly hope the scum who are doing this are caught.[evil]

I feel so sorry for horse owners just now as it must be so worrying.:(

Rocky
07-Oct-10, 20:50
sent you a pm:Razz

teenybash
08-Oct-10, 17:02
Please stay vigilant as there has been further dubious activity.

upolian
08-Oct-10, 17:16
I will warn my mate who owns a horse,cheers!!

All boxed up
08-Oct-10, 18:13
Please stay vigilant as there has been further dubious activity.

What else has been happening Teenybash can you tell us what to look out for?

teenybash
08-Oct-10, 18:19
What else has been happening Teenybash can you tell us what to look out for?

Strange vehicles with trailers, not just horse boxes, around areas where horses are kept......cannot mention locations but suspicious individuals were chased off withing the past 24 hours. Luckily horse owners were still up and hadn't gone to bed.

Liz
08-Oct-10, 19:00
Strange vehicles with trailers, not just horse boxes, around areas where horses are kept......cannot mention locations but suspicious individuals were chased off withing the past 24 hours. Luckily horse owners were still up and hadn't gone to bed.

This is just awful!!![evil]

I take it that they would have fence cutters so blocking gates would be of no use?
What time of night was that Teenybash and were the horses in an unlit area?

Really hope they clear off soon and give horse owners some peace.

unicorn
08-Oct-10, 19:03
I really hope they get caught soon or get a darned good kick from a horse that is not a friendly as they thought.

Liz
08-Oct-10, 19:27
I really hope they get caught soon or get a darned good kick from a horse that is not a friendly as they thought.

Oh that would be great and right in the place it would hurt the most!!!!

bitofamixup
08-Oct-10, 20:03
i wish anyone luck to try and get mine in a box they have to get passed dogs first and then if they separated horses they would kick up a stink one would defo rear up so they would get head smashed in hehehe but seriously do we know what they go after ie- mares/geldings big or small or do they take what evers available????all mine are insured and chipped how do these people sell on with out passports do they just get pet ones??the mind really does boggle as to why they do it and to what financial gain???[evil][evil][evil]

aurora32
08-Oct-10, 20:04

If you cant give specific loactions Teeny, could you give an area so folk in that area can be even more vigilant than they are just now, Agree with you Liz which thary would sod off and give us some peace.

teenybash
08-Oct-10, 20:19
If you cant give specific loactions Teeny, could you give an area so folk in that area can be even more vigilant than they are just now, Agree with you Liz which thary would sod off and give us some peace.

Afraid pretty much dotted all over Caithness especially Kw14 area so that would be Thurso and out Murkle way. If the intent is to steal the horses don't forget these people will be adept at catching, blindfolding as I would think they are well used to handling horses and ponies.
The main plaiting could simply be a prank, but it is the worry it causes in the name of amusement. If I hear anything else I will post it....

summer
08-Oct-10, 21:02
Thank you Teeny. Any further info appreciates as it becomes available.

brandy
09-Oct-10, 06:23
we need rigger here.. at one time horse theivery was a simple thing.. they were hung! tends to put a stop to it quick enough if you string the thieves up!

upolian
09-Oct-10, 09:03
This is a really sad thing to do,targeting horses,as stated above i hope a horse kick's out at these thieves rite where it hurts[evil]

aurora32
09-Oct-10, 09:40
It makes an enjoyable pass time into a nightmare as you are constantly worrying if your animals are going to be in the field when you look out or go see them, hope they get stopped very soon.

summer
09-Oct-10, 09:59
It makes an enjoyable pass time into a nightmare as you are constantly worrying if your animals are going to be in the field when you look out or go see them, hope they get stopped very soon.
Eaxactly. I'm sure many people wouldn't agree but to me it'd be like having a bairn stolen.

aurora32
09-Oct-10, 10:04
Eaxactly. I'm sure many people wouldn't agree but to me it'd be like having a bairn stolen.

Was going to put in my post its like worrying about a member of the family all the time but thought people wouldnt understand, but its clear there is more than just me that feels this way and the longer you have a horse the bigger part of your life and family it gets and the worse it it and more you worry.

Liz
09-Oct-10, 12:15

Was going to put in my post its like worrying about a member of the family all the time but thought people wouldnt understand, but its clear there is more than just me that feels this way and the longer you have a horse the bigger part of your life and family it gets and the worse it it and more you worry.

Of course I understand that your horses are your bairns!!!

I feel so sorry for all horse owners right now as I know how worried I would be.

Really, really hope that these horrible people (can't call them what I want to as will be banned:confused) are either caught soon or just go away. [evil]

GruesomeTwosome
11-Oct-10, 13:23
I heard at the weekend that it was a three men in a large white van that was being used, not a lorry or box. Not sure if this is true but apparently they were spotted travelling up and down the road. Just something to watch out for if it is true.

Margaret M.
11-Oct-10, 17:13
What a deplorable thing to do! I hope these scoundrels are caught and get a meaningful sentence.

teenybash
11-Oct-10, 17:15
Pity no one got the reg number, but it's a good clue what to watch out for.

Sarah
11-Oct-10, 18:28
Gosh I have never heard of that before! I do hope they don't get anywhere with this.