PDA

View Full Version : I smell........probably something i stood in.

fingalmacool
06-Oct-10, 20:27
Councilor noasdabuildanywherehighschool Smith, has given us pearls of wisdom once again in our local rag today, it seems that it will be a slight inconvenience for a large family to have their bin emptied once a fortnight, he said they could manage "well BILLHOOKS to that" we/they pay their taxes for a service not a piece meal service just to manage, like it or not a large family make a lot of rubbish and if the council don't supply the equipment, then the rats are going to have a Christmas feast every week, my recycling equipment from the council are blue bin for paper and tins and a brown bin for garden waste, the council are saying that there are bins for plastic and glass so when are they going to give one to me or anyone else in my street:confused
OK next rant, 78% of a consumer panel, where/who are these people, give us a print out of where this was taken what questions was asked and in what area (hurry up the waste is growing)
And Wendy Campbell, should look deeper into the council's eyes and re-divine her question, it might come as quite a shock to discover how many departments within the council actually recycle, oooohhh i await the nay sayers and dogooders to burst ma bubble, and put me on the road to enlightenment, or at least to the recycling center:confused
And Willie,any idea as to how many people stayed in the houses with bins half empty (hurry up i have to put me bins oot)
As we know the recycling center is fine if you have transport, so what do the big families with no transport do, come on councilors take the marbles out and tell us:confused

unicorn
06-Oct-10, 20:33
So when they cut the services we get that our council tax pays for, do we get a reduction to cover our fuel expenses to dump our own rubbish?
Actually if it was a big enough rebate I would just dump it myself once a week :lol:

Rheghead
06-Oct-10, 20:36
See it as a challenge on how you can reduce your waste in the first place like buying products with less packaging, compost more, prepare meals more effectively, being more aware of what rubbish (pun intended) a typical family buys in and chucks away.

Dog-eared
06-Oct-10, 21:24
If you don't buy overpackaged goods, you have less in the bin.

carlominno
07-Oct-10, 12:47
Not all rubbish that goes in a bin comes from overpackaged goods or can be recycled. We currently put out 2 full bins every week (about 1/3 of which,ie 3/4 of one bin, is normal household stuff) as my husband has a medical condition which generates lots of 'rubbish' (and lots of cardboard packaging too which we do recycle).

Under this super duper new proposal we would not be able to manage and we would need an additional 2 bins to last the fortnight!

crashbandicoot1979
07-Oct-10, 13:20
When (if?) the fortnightly colection starts, all households will get a blue lid recycling bin, like people outwith the towns currently have - it is for cardboard, paper, cans/tins and plastic bottles. They are currently collected 4 weekly but will then be collected fortnightly - so it will be refuse and recycling bins on alternate weeks.

carlominno - I believe that if someone in the house has a medical condition that generates waste, or if there are 6 or more people living in the house, you will be entitled to a second refuse bin.

This is what they are doing on Skye just now, so I would imagine it would be the same in Caithness, when/if the time comes.

Personally I'd be happy with this because I never fill my refuse bin weekly anyway, and I'm all for recycling as much as possible, but I guess its not going to suit everyone.

Aestus57
07-Oct-10, 18:06
:) Hope they start collecting Glass bottles and jars too. It's always a car journey to the nearest recycling point, so can't be a very environmentally friendly way of doing it,..... all those extra car trips etc! :eek:

bagpuss
07-Oct-10, 21:59
bring back milk in proper milk bottles on one's doorstep every morning

bagpuss
07-Oct-10, 22:04
but if you are a single person household- you only need the bin emptied once a month!!!!

bagpuss
07-Oct-10, 22:05
and that's only to remove the cat your neighbour binned

Nacho
07-Oct-10, 22:49
bring back milk in proper milk bottles on one's doorstep every morning

great idea

i was reminiscing recently about milk being delivered to doorsteps in plastic bags (in Thurso about 25 ... ish years ago)

no-one seems to remember this ... was i dreaming ? :confused

Blarney
07-Oct-10, 23:12
great idea

i was reminiscing recently about milk being delivered to doorsteps in plastic bags (in Thurso about 25 ... ish years ago)

no-one seems to remember this ... was i dreaming ? :confused

No you weren't dreaming, I remember it well. You were given a plastic jug too which you were supposed to drop the bag into and snip the top but it rarely worked as it was supposed to and the milk ended up all over the place. I too would welcome the return of glass milk bottles as the milk tasted so much better quite apart from the recycling benefits.

Venture
07-Oct-10, 23:53
Perhaps a few cuts in salaries instead of services might be the answer.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/accesstoinformation/freedomofinformation/seniormanagementsalaries.htm

The above link posted by an orger on the NHS thread, makes for some very interesting....sorry....shocking reading.[disgust]