PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Mission to Close

scotsboy
05-Oct-10, 16:44
More bad news, the Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen have announced that several of their missions, including Scrabster will close. I am not that up on the demographics of the fishing industry in Scotland but would imagine that there is more trade passing through Peterhead, Fraserburgh and Scrabster than Oban, Cambletown and Pittenweem!

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1947619
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11475118

annemarie482
05-Oct-10, 17:13
what a shame!
we regularly go to the mission :(

pat
05-Oct-10, 17:53
Wonder if they will do to the same as here - we have Finlay Macleod who is RNMDSF aux Superintendent in Stornoway, he has a small office but no accomm, no cafe etc.

He is always around the port and helping many seamen who call in here or have any problems.

I will certainly miss the Mission when up in Scrabster but savings must be made somewhere when there is very little money coming in due to folk watching their money more carefully and costs for running these establishments does not get any cheaper due to having to keep up with all H&S etc.

scotsboy
05-Oct-10, 19:32
Wonder if they will do to the same as here - we have Finlay Macleod who is RNMDSF aux Superintendent in Stornoway, he has a small office but no accomm, no cafe etc.

He is always around the port and helping many seamen who call in here or have any problems.

I will certainly miss the Mission when up in Scrabster but savings must be made somewhere when there is very little money coming in due to folk watching their money more carefully and costs for running these establishments does not get any cheaper due to having to keep up with all H&S etc.

The locations of the 3 new "missions" seem strange.........unless they will just be glorified cafes hoping to attract tourists (?)

bonami
05-Oct-10, 20:35
Sadly a reflection on the fishing industry as a whole. Seems strange they are to open new branches in smaller ports. But as is stated that boats have changed over the years and this is certainly true modern fishing boats are a home from home as far as cooking and washing is concerned. In the old days a toilet was a bucket down the engineroom and washing was often in a bsinof cold seawater. There was a bit in the 50yrs ago section in Groat a few weeks back about the mission opening a new centre in Scrabster after moving from Wick.

pat
05-Oct-10, 20:38
Unusual places, seems more set up for the day tripper or pleasure sailor than fishermen and workers of the sea.

The person who runs the Mallaig one is from Lybster originally - Stanley Ross, or it was about a year ago.

Ricco
06-Oct-10, 20:19
What a huge shame. I spent many a lunchtime in there as a kid. The staff were very good to us kids and I have them as part of my will. Going to have to change it now!

Amy-Winehouse
06-Oct-10, 21:03
Aye its a shame that the scrabster mission is to close, there were many mondays id get a shower in there & be very glad of it as the boat I worked on had no washing or toilet facilities- you could say I was as smelly as the catch on landing day.

We used to look forward to the half decent cooked food in there as you could sit at a table & not have to judge the roll of the boat or lift yer plate to avoid all yur grub landing on the floor .

Shame it s a sign of the times, with the industry almost finished- sad day for Scrabster

Dog-eared
06-Oct-10, 21:08
Aye, it's a shame. Good cheap grub served by cheery folk.
Every time I was in there, there were always other customers.

Scarybiscuits03
07-Oct-10, 16:52
so what will happen to the building?......Do you think it will be rented out?