PDA

View Full Version : Are wildlife crime sentences a joke?

Anfield
05-Oct-10, 16:03
It is reported that a guy who tried to smuggle the horns of arhinoceros to China has been sentenced to a mere 12 months in gaol (story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11477508))

How can we take the law seriously when joke sentences like this are handed out to convicted criminals

orkneycadian
05-Oct-10, 17:34
The rhino was already deid, and the horn was about to sent for incineration, along with the rest of the carcass. I don't see therefore that this has caused the immediate demise of any protected species. It could be argued that it perpetuates the trade. On the other hand, when a load of Chinese shell out for the powdered horn to cure their cancer, and it doesn't, then it might actually help quash the trade. :confused Maybe, maybe not. If I shelled out umpteen million yen for something to cure my ailment, and it didn't, I would soon be telling the world (or this forum at the very least), that buying rhino horn for a cancer cure aint worth it.

I think I would rather save the holiday camp prison beds for criminals who have done something a lot more criminal than save some animal body parts from the incinerator

philupmaboug
05-Oct-10, 17:56
They should have cut his horn off to see how he liked it!

orkneycadian
05-Oct-10, 18:04
I am sure if he was as deid as the rhino, and about to be loaded into an incinerator, he would give as little a toss!

Anfield
08-Oct-10, 23:53
A man from Devon has pleaded guilty to subjecting a cat to mental and physical torture.Story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11503065)
Colin Sherlock, admitted confining the animal in a microwave oven and a tumble drier and turning them on, he also admitted putting the cat in a freezer and filming it on his mobile phone .
Fortunately the cat survived and is now being cared for at a RSPCA shelter.
Sherlock will be sentenced at the court on Bonfire night, 5 November.."

I suppose burning this cretin on a bonfire is not on the list of sentences the Magistrates can impose

orkneycadian
09-Oct-10, 11:54
Probably not, but it would save an awful lot of time, money and hassle if they could!

Kevin Milkins
09-Oct-10, 12:25
Sherlock will be sentenced at the court on Bonfire night, 5 November.."

I suppose burning this cretin on a bonfire is not on the list of sentences the Magistrates can impose

You shouldn't fight fire with fire, but these sort of crimes of cruelty against animals certainly make my blood boil.:mad:

orkneycadian
09-Oct-10, 12:28
You shouldn't fight fire with fire....

Seemed to work OK for Red Adair!

Corrie 3
09-Oct-10, 12:39
Just seen on the news that a Wallaby has been found decapitated down South................Another one for the bonfire when/if they catch the culprit methinks.
I would gladly strike the match !!!!

Its like the young idiot south of Inverness who threw a Lamb onto a bonfire a couple of years ago, I would have gladly put him on the same fire and smiled as he burned!!!

C3.....[evil][evil][evil]

ducati
09-Oct-10, 14:41
There are many proofs that people who are cruel to animals are in fact psychopaths and regularly go on to do similar things to people. It's about time that the law took this more seriously. [disgust]

bekisman
09-Oct-10, 16:56
There are many proofs that people who are cruel to animals are in fact psychopaths and regularly go on to do similar things to people. It's about time that the law took this more seriously. [disgust]

You are so right Ducati

'Although serial murder has been recorded for centuries, limited academic attention has been given to this important topic. Scholars have attempted to examine the causality and motivations behind the rare phenomenon of serial murder. However, scant research exists which delves into the childhood characteristics of serial murderers. Using social learning theory, some of these studies present supporting evidence for a link between childhood animal cruelty and adult aggression toward humans. Based on five case studies of serial murderers, we contribute to the existing literature by exploring the possible link between childhood cruelty toward animals and serial murder with the application of the graduation hypothesis'

http://ijo.sagepub.com/content/47/1/71.abstract

Logical
09-Oct-10, 19:22
There are many proofs that people who are cruel to animals are in fact psychopaths and regularly go on to do similar things to people.

I've seen you use that line before. Have you got any proof at all to go with that statement?

Logical
09-Oct-10, 19:23
You are so right Ducati

'Although serial murder has been recorded for centuries, limited academic attention has been given to this important topic. Scholars have attempted to examine the causality and motivations behind the rare phenomenon of serial murder. However, scant research exists which delves into the childhood characteristics of serial murderers. Using social learning theory, some of these studies present supporting evidence for a link between childhood animal cruelty and adult aggression toward humans. Based on five case studies of serial murderers, we contribute to the existing literature by exploring the possible link between childhood cruelty toward animals and serial murder with the application of the graduation hypothesis'

http://ijo.sagepub.com/content/47/1/71.abstract

Should have read that first.... very good article.

Walter Ego
09-Oct-10, 20:01
Anyone go to school with a nasty kid who was keen on inflicting pain on animals?

And if so, did any of them turn out to be decent people?

Certainly not in my experience.

Logical
09-Oct-10, 20:09
I find these people usually had mental problems and generally tried to be violent....

Man I hate proving myself wrong!