PDA

View Full Version : Ice Skating In Wick!

jay
26-Jul-06, 07:51
No the weather is not changing that much! but did you hear on the radio last night that the people who are raising money for the Memorial Garden in Bank Row are bringing a skating rink to the glass factory on 17 - 19th August? Sounds brill! I think they said the saturday night is going to be a skating disco

they are also having a music festival down at the riverside on the 5th - complete with beer tent

Bingobabe
26-Jul-06, 07:54
Thats brillant to hear we are getting an ice rink who would of thought that would be happening in wick!!!!!:Razz

jambo
26-Jul-06, 07:57
Thats great.

The kids will love it.

brokencross
26-Jul-06, 08:02
I hope the Accident & Emergency at the hospital are prepared for lots of visitors. Looks easy on TV, tie a cushion round your bumb and wear skateboarding knee and elbow pads, a crash hat and a gum shield and you should be safe.

I know this sounds stupid, but my advice is "learn to stop before you start" then "learn how to turn corners"

MR J
26-Jul-06, 08:53
Should be good fun............doubt it will be as elaborate as this one in Dubai
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/andy755wymer/dubaiski.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/andy755wymer/dubaiski1.jpg

rfr10
26-Jul-06, 11:03
How can they do that? Thats where BARR have their offices just now until they are finished with Tesco.

candyfloss
26-Jul-06, 11:16
That would be a brilliant idea, i'd love to have a go, tried a few years ago in Iverness i think, and i was just getting the hang of it.
Love to have another go at it, don't know about disco dancing though break dancing more like [lol]

alistair harper
26-Jul-06, 17:12
Hi Folks
dont want to dampen anyones spirit but would an icerink take off in caithness
look what happend to the bowling alley its pretty empty nowadays

leave me your results and lets find out what everybody thinks i myself would love to see one and ages ago there was talk of pat grant opening one but she found out it would not work up here lets prove her wrong

jay
26-Jul-06, 23:16
Hi Folks
dont want to dampen anyones spirit but would an icerink take off in caithness
look what happend to the bowling alley its pretty empty nowadays

leave me your results and lets find out what everybody thinks i myself would love to see one and ages ago there was talk of pat grant opening one but she found out it would not work up here lets prove her wrong

think you've missed the point - it's for three days! 17th - 19th August!

canuck
27-Jul-06, 01:41
I have been worrying about this all day. Ice skating in Wick!
So, it appears to be some kind of portable rink. I am sure that it will work fine, it won't be large, but it will have a few square feet of ice.

Now to my real concern. Skating is not a skill that one learns in an instant, even a few hours, even a few days. I just cannot imagine learning to ice skate as an adult. And disco skating, even skating to disco music, with inexperienced skaters sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I trust that the organizers have a huge supply of skates to rent. These things have to fit really well otherwise one cannot even stand up.

Okay, I've said my peace. I hope that it turns out well, that people enjoy it and that a few experienced skaters are available to show everyone what a beautiful sport ice skating is.

brokencross
27-Jul-06, 09:05
Not to be a party pooper, but I agree with canuck; great care will have to be taken. I used to go and try to skate at the Murrayfield rink and every week there would be little pools of blood and the occasional tooth where would Torville and Deans had come a cropper. The skating boots have to properly tied up nice and tight to support the ankle, or you are just asking for an ankle injury. They have a mobile rink in Middlesbrough every Christmas and it really is good fun and well monitored....just take care.

jay
27-Jul-06, 10:11
common guys - it's a bit of fun! lighten up - as a teenager I spent countless hours on our local ice rink - mainly just going around in circles it has to be said - but its all good fun! the most important bit is learning to stop - we just used to aim at the surrounding wall!!!!!!!!!

alistair harper
27-Jul-06, 10:37
I know its only for 3 days but what i was wondering is if someone was going to put a rink up here would it take off to answer all other questions the orginiser would have plenty skates they dont tie up the have straps that yuo adjust and lock around ankle. also it would be a syntheic ice rink not as slippy as real ice. yes i have skated for many years and if you can go inline skates or roller skates its not much harder havent lost any fingers yet.
it wont be a big rink poss only room for 10 to 15 at a time but great fun and fat buster.

hope everyone enjoys them selves

rfr10
27-Jul-06, 21:25
Like I already said: unless the rink isn't going to actually be in Caithness Glass, there is no way they can be taking one up. There are barriers stopping people from getting into the carpark now without going through some security thing. And the whole place is occupied by BARR.. I also agree with whoever it was who said that people will just stop going to it.

CFM
28-Jul-06, 08:10
Like I already said: unless the rink isn't going to actually be in Caithness Glass, there is no way they can be taking one up. There are barriers stopping people from getting into the carpark now without going through some security thing. And the whole place is occupied by BARR.. I also agree with whoever it was who said that people will just stop going to it.

I actually conducted the interview on Caithness FM on Tuesday night when this was discussed - the rink will be in Caithness Glass, it will be for three days only but if a success might come back and the company bringing it up will have the necesary skates etc with them - it;s being held as a fundraiser for the Memorial Garden in Wick 17 - 19th august