PDA

View Full Version : Norman Wisdom dies

Rheghead
04-Oct-10, 22:45
A sad loss for a micro second, dig deep for a mickey take, he would have loved it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11473192

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-10, 23:01
That's a bit spooky.:eek: I was listening to Elaine Page yesterday on radio 2 and she made reference to Norman Wisdom and remarked what a wonderful man he was, and she mentioned he is the ripe old age of 95.

I always liked Norman Wisdom and I was bought a box set of his videos that I have never got around to watching, so on the strength of the radio programme that had brought him to mind, I watched the Early Bird last night. Only 11 more to go to complete the box set.

RIP, Norman, you have brought fun and laughter to many generations.

golach
04-Oct-10, 23:07
RIP Norman

Rheghead
04-Oct-10, 23:08
He is best remembered for his comedy acting but he tried to take himself more seriously which the population was not having any of it, and tried some serious roles, the trouble was he was a darn good actor and not very appreciated.

Kevin Milkins
04-Oct-10, 23:18
I'm sure my late dad told me that he was also a very good boxer.

A bar we spent some time in while on holiday had been visited by Norman, a few weeks prior to our visit.

The entertainment guy was telling us that Norman called in every night of his holiday and had everyone in stitches with his antics.

Whitewater
04-Oct-10, 23:45
Sorry to hear of his death. I never met him in all my years of going back and fore to the Isle of Man, they were very protective of him over there. He made me laugh.

teenybash
04-Oct-10, 23:58
RIP Norman....you were unique.

NLP
05-Oct-10, 00:14
RIP Norman, I loved his films when I was younger

Kodiak
05-Oct-10, 11:17
Norman you will be Sadly Missed, RIP.

scotsboy
05-Oct-10, 15:03
A true entertainer - would love to see a video clip of his introduction to the crowd at the Albania/England match where he was a guest, he appeared in a half Albania/half England shirt - seemingly he was adulated more than Beckham!

Venture
05-Oct-10, 16:20
A true entertainer - would love to see a video clip of his introduction to the crowd at the Albania/England match where he was a guest, he appeared in a half Albania/half England shirt - seemingly he was adulated more than Beckham!

A couple of shots are in his tribute video/song to Albania.http://www.normanwisdom.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165:big-in-albania-norman-wisdom&catid=37:video-clips&Itemid=91

veekay
05-Oct-10, 18:28
Very sad news. When I was a teenager he was the only thing Dad and I had in common, he made us both laugh.

TudorRose
05-Oct-10, 19:08
Very sad news. I use to love watching Norman Wisdom in his films when I was a kid. As I grew up, I went to see him at the theatre, just the once but I've never forgotten, the man was a legend. He brought happiness to so many people, what a gift to make so many people smile. I loved it when he sang, don't laugh at me cause I'm a fool.
The angels must be smiling in heaven with Norman there. RIP Norman.

Mik.M.
05-Oct-10, 19:17
R.I.P. Sir Norman Wisdom, an absoloute legend,very funny without being rude,crude or nasty. :cry:

Kevin Milkins
05-Oct-10, 23:58
Very sad news. I use to love watching Norman Wisdom in his films when I was a kid. As I grew up, I went to see him at the theatre, just the once but I've never forgotten, the man was a legend. He brought happiness to so many people, what a gift to make so many people smile. I loved it when he sang, don't laugh at me cause I'm a fool.
The angels must be smiling in heaven with Norman there. RIP Norman.

Thank you for the reminder, TuderRose.:Razz

It isn't untill you start to dig a bit deeper that you realise what you can attribute to such a legend. I just listened to the old classic by Sir Norman and it really hit home , what a legend this guy was.

NORMAN WISDOM - 'Don't Laugh At Me ('Cause I' ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur18tEbQ-8I)

I find it extraordinary that it was recorded two years before I was born and he past away a day before my birthday, yet it's the sort of classic that I would be happy to hear any day of the week.

George Brims
06-Oct-10, 00:34
A very funny man. In some ways a British alternative to America's Jerry Lewis, though Norman didn't go quite so over the top as Jerry. I've seen both in serious roles over the years and both were clearly talented in that regard too.
RIP Norman.

ducati
06-Oct-10, 08:22
To have touched the lives of so many people, and be remembered with such affection, truly a life and career to be proud of.

A much seen face around the TT, and an avid supporter too.

Kevin Milkins
16-Oct-10, 13:50
I watched the programme last night that was a tribute to his life.

What a fantastic individual this man was.
My late father was a big fan of his and I was brought up listening to him (trying) to belt out "don't laugh at me because I'm a fool" while having a shave.:Razz

Although I have always liked him, it was my dads enthusiasm for him that I remember most, but that programme last night really brought home to me that despite extreme adversity, it is possible to rise to dizzy heights, succeed and be loved the way he was by many.