PDA

View Full Version : Thunder storrm

kas
26-Jul-06, 07:32
Now was this mornings Thunder and lightning storm impressive or what!!!

Unless you dont like that sort of thing of course.

It woke me at 6.30, and you could hear the Thunder in every direction. We saw alot of lightning bolts comming down at the back of Holborn head.

The cruise ship certainly got a impressive welcome, it arrived in Thurso bay right bang in the middle of it all. We also had a short power trip during it.

The sun is starting to shine though now and hopefully we are in for another good day.

Mr P Cannop
26-Jul-06, 07:48
that will sure clear the air

Mr P Cannop
26-Jul-06, 07:54
did any one get any pics of it ??

JAWS
26-Jul-06, 08:39
So all that rumbling was the fault of Thurso. Cound hear the thunder rummbling in the distance but didn't see any lightening display.
Rotten Devila keeping the pretty bits to yourselves.

It's quite sunny on the Lybster side at the moment and looks like it's going to last.
(Now thre's a kiss of death without a doubt, just watch it start to pour down all day):lol:

Scaraben1976
26-Jul-06, 09:04
Now was this mornings Thunder and lightning storm impressive or what!!!

Unless you dont like that sort of thing of course.

It woke me at 6.30, and you could hear the Thunder in every direction. We saw alot of lightning bolts comming down at the back of Holborn head.

The cruise ship certainly got a impressive welcome, it arrived in Thurso bay right bang in the middle of it all. We also had a short power trip during it.

The sun is starting to shine though now and hopefully we are in for another good day.

Was on night shift at the big white marmalade factory and was standing outside at 6.45 am watching the lightning hitting the hill at lower Dounreay and Forss......

.....well I was until there was a large power dip and I had to run around making sure that stuff that has tripped was switched back on.

unicorn
26-Jul-06, 09:08
The lightning was absolutely beautiful I wish I had got some pics of it, we dont often get it that clear.

Tugmistress
26-Jul-06, 09:17
It certainly was impressive :) it was the best one i have seen since i moved up here! #tried for some pics but typical i missed everyone flipping one of them. one day i will catch it though.
it was great to see it stop just before i headed down to work though lmao

candyfloss
26-Jul-06, 10:57
In Wick i never heard any thunder or lighting but the rain battering of the windows woke me up, or maybe i was just half asleep and never noticed the rumbles

katarina
26-Jul-06, 11:06
I'm surprised. I woke when it was still dark and took ages to get back to sleep - but I didn't hear a thing - either rain or anything else.

dirdyweeker
26-Jul-06, 11:21
I heard the thunder in Wick at 06.30 but was too lazy to get out of bed to see if there was lightning. No doubt some night worker in Wick or an early riser will be able to enlighten us!

phoenix
26-Jul-06, 11:37
It was rumbling here in Castletown for what seemed like ages, it must have been some thunderstorm wherever it was closest to, our dog was going bananas, shes still not right this morning, only saw one or two flashes of lightning though thank goodness.........Thor must have been busy last night! :Razz

wicker
26-Jul-06, 12:13
I got woken by the thunder at 6.30am nearly fell out my bed. Got up to look out my window though but couldn't see any lightning at all which im dissapointed about, 26 and still havent seen lightning except on pictures

Liz
26-Jul-06, 12:30
Was woken up by the thunder about 6.30am it was so loud. I thought there had been an explosion!:eek:

This was followed by some widespread lightning and pouring rain.

Thankfully only lasted about five minutes.

It may look good but I don't like it!!!

Tosh
26-Jul-06, 13:06
It was that loud it set off a neighbours cars alarm.

pultneytooner
26-Jul-06, 13:42
It certainly was impressive :) it was the best one i have seen since i moved up here! #tried for some pics but typical i missed everyone flipping one of them. one day i will catch it though.
it was great to see it stop just before i headed down to work though lmao
Try a digital video camera next time and you can take stills from the film.:D

Big G
26-Jul-06, 14:20
i heard the first rumble at 5.55am in Castletown and it woke me- it lasted for ages - a good hour anyway. i love when it is thunder and lightning.

cuddlepop
26-Jul-06, 14:30
NOthing here on Skye its a lovely day.Only excitment we got was waking up to Know water.Must have been a fault somewhere as it was back on by 945.Bet it was impressive,lucky you.

mccaugm
26-Jul-06, 14:51
[evil] Thunder and Lightening....totally HATE it. Halkirk had power cuts...although not sure how long for...

BMcGillivray
26-Jul-06, 15:36
I got woken up by it all here in Thurso in the early hours... looked outside... saw lightning, the thunder was loud... i thought the world was ending... it was amazing... almost supernatural...

Did anyone else notice the hailstones too? It all seemed really bizarre to me, i thought i was still sleeping...

Mr P Cannop
26-Jul-06, 15:55
i noticed the hailstones

Moonboots
26-Jul-06, 16:55
Yeah I noticed it this morning too. Woken up at 5am and the thunder and lightning started at about 5.50. There was some good displays of fork lightning, Very Impressive but I never got a pic of it sorry as my camera is broke. The Rain and Hail was dancing off the ground. At least it cleared the air abit though.

As far as I know we are expecting more.

Islander
26-Jul-06, 17:02
The thunder and lightning was certainly impressive - last time I saw it like that was in Lincoln 4 or 5 years ago. Hope someone got pics of it - would be nice to see - love seeing the lightning!

badger
26-Jul-06, 17:07
I heard it early this morning and noticed a couple of quick power cuts as I had the radio on. Had to go out around 9.30 and didn't use phone but switched computer on, which was fine. When I got home computer was still online but phone (which as far as I know is same line) is dead - everywhere in the house. Reported it of course and when I finally got past all those annoying recorded messages and spoke to a person (yes, they do still exist at BT) she didn't seem surprised that one worked and t'other didn't but I'm puzzled. The recorded message said they would fix it on 2 August so in meantime calls are diverted to my mobile. Are they serious?? A whole week?

Can anyone explain to me why my broadband wasn't knocked out with the phone? At least the rabbit is OK but it takes a lot to faze her.

mccaugm
26-Jul-06, 17:17
If I remember correctly BT stated that there is a premium payable to the customer for when there phone is out of action. I would check that out. Seems ridiculous to wait a week for a phone line.

kas
26-Jul-06, 17:18
Yeah I noticed it this morning too. Woken up at 5am and the thunder and lightning started at about 5.50. There was some good displays of fork lightning, Very Impressive but I never got a pic of it sorry as my camera is broke. The Rain and Hail was dancing off the ground. At least it cleared the air abit though.

As far as I know we are expecting more.

That was quite a storm. 5.50, I wasnt woken until 6.30. The thunder went on to approx 7.00 but the lightning carried on out in the firth for over another half an hour. So thats at least a hour and forty minuites, WOW.

This must have been the best storm in well over 12 years, the time a house at Forss was struck by lightning and was sadly burnt to the ground. Thankfully nobody was hurt, although they lost every single possession.

Has anyone heard of any damage this time? I hope not.

I did think a video camera would have been the best chance of a photo, sadly I dont have one yet.

Saveman
26-Jul-06, 17:51
Well 0630 seems to have been a massive wake up call for Caithness. :)
What an explosion! Anyone know where it hit?

I love a good thunder storm...

highlander
26-Jul-06, 20:55
I was woken up by the thunder last night, and when i looked out the window i could see the lightening forks land in our fields, i never thought of using the camera on video setting, pity cos i might have got some crackers of photos.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 20:59
Me and obiron had put a broken fridge/freezer oot for the council to pick up this morning.Thought the heat had got to the gas cylinder and made it explode.

It was just the thunder though.....man a keeicht ma pants!!!!

connieb19
26-Jul-06, 21:05
....man a keeicht ma pants!!!!I was wondering why there was a thick haze over the town tonight..!! :eek:

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 21:06
Ragnarock is roond the corner, Ragnarock is nearly here.[evil] [evil]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:09
I was wondering why there was a thick haze over the town tonight..!! :eek:

Only the after effects Connie,should be alright in the mornin'!!!!!:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:11
Ragnarock is roond the corner, Ragnarock is nearly here.[evil] [evil]

Wits Ragnarock,Gleber2?

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 21:35
Wits Ragnarock,Gleber2?

The final battle, the end of the game, Armageddon, Apocolypse, the End of all song, finito. Hooray!!! Big bang Big bang. No more conspiracies. Norse legends and myths and the God of Thunder.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:39
The final battle, the end of the game, Armageddon, Apocolypse, the End of all song, finito. Hooray!!! Big bang Big bang. No more conspiracies. Norse legends and myths and the God of Thunder.

So what day is it gonnae be,just so I can cancel ma haircut?:lol: :lol:

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 21:42
So what day is it gonnae be,just so I can cancel ma haircut? :lol:

Thorsday of course.:cool:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:45
Thorsday of course.:cool:

Thorsday?Could we no change it to wODENesday!!!!;)

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 21:47
Thorsday?Could we no change it to wODENesday!!!!;)

Nah, Freya might object.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 21:52
Nah, Freya might object.

Ach,Freya is a party pooper,we'll no listen to her!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 21:56
Ach,Freya is a party pooper,we'll no listen to her!!!!!:lol: :lol:

We could do it on Tuesday and the Greeks would be happy.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 22:05
We could do it on Tuesday and the Greeks would be happy.

Hows that?

Gleber2
26-Jul-06, 22:33
Hows that?

Zeusday you twit.

canuck
26-Jul-06, 22:38
Zeus, I like Zeus, he can come to our birthday party too. Oops, wrong thread, sorry Kaz.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jul-06, 22:38
Zeusday you twit.

Sounds Greek to me!!!!:lol: :lol:

A Twit?Ye Know me better than ye know!!!A BIG Harry Potter Fan,Hedwig the owl....TWIT-A-WHOO!!!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
27-Jul-06, 01:02
Sorry Kas.Aye that thunder was somethin' else!!!!!Never saw the lightning but heard the rain!!:D

Ricco
27-Jul-06, 09:44
Hey Kaz, we had a corker down here last night. Lightning and thunder going off almost continuously for a few minutes - like the finale at a fireworks show. Only a drizzle of rain though - all bang and no business.:cool: