PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Scotland

trinkie
04-Oct-10, 08:12
Someone from the south has just told me that Wick received the Silver Medal in the Beautiful Scotland competition. Is this true ?
I cant find it anywhere on the Org and expected it to be emblazoned
on the front page . Please tell me it is there somewhere along with pictures of the flowers.
Monday morning and I'm bursting with pride!! I must send many thanks to all those involved. I know some people work tirelessly to make the town look nice and it is just wonderful that they have now received this Medal.

Well done Wick .
Keep up the good work.
Trinkie

_Ju_
04-Oct-10, 08:22
http://www.beautifulscotland.org/medals.asp

Wick has the flowers and baskets silver medal. Well done!

scorrie
04-Oct-10, 14:58
Someone from the south has just told me that Wick received the Silver Medal in the Beautiful Scotland competition. Is this true ?
on the front page . Please tell me it is there somewhere along with pictures of the flowers.
Monday morning and I'm bursting with pride!! I must send many thanks to all those involved. I know some people work tirelessly to make the town look nice and it is just wonderful that they have now received this Medal.

Well done Wick .
Keep up the good work.
Trinkie

The award is not as "sexy" as it first appears. It is not actually "THE" Silver Medal but "A" Silver Medal. When you check the criteria, this actually means that the entry was considered to be "above average", which is fair enough recognition for the efforts of those concerned but I think a sense of perspective is required before we get too carried with ourselves.

billmoseley
04-Oct-10, 15:42
don't knock it scorrie anything is better than nothing. i have watched then work all summer on the flowers and they have done us proud well done lads

trinkie
04-Oct-10, 16:20
Scorrie...

A Silver Medal is good enough for me .....

I think the folk involved deserve to be congratulated.

I wont even mention sour grapes they dont grow that well in Wick !

Kind regards
Trinkie

Duncansby
04-Oct-10, 16:22
and lasses?

scorrie
04-Oct-10, 17:28
Scorrie...

A Silver Medal is good enough for me .....

I think the folk involved deserve to be congratulated.

I wont even mention sour grapes they dont grow that well in Wick !

Kind regards
Trinkie

Get a grip on yourself. Typical knee-jerk reaction to a simple fact being pointed out. I acknowledged in my post that it was fair recognition for those involved. My point was that some people I have been talking to think that Wick were second in a nationwide contest, because they associate a silver medal with being runner up. The actuality is that Wick finished behind 28 other entrants and tied with 25 others awarded silver medal. For goodness sake there is even a bronze medal for the dubious achievement of being "average"

Wick's entry did not achieve a silver-gilt medal, meaning the entry was not considered to have reached "A high standard"

Whoop it up if you want to but in my mind there is nothing to be shouting the odds about in one of today's typical Mickey Mouse awards where everyone is a winner of sorts and aiming for the stars is shunned in a culture where adequacy is celebrated from the nearest rooftop.

By the way, I live in Wick and have done so nearly all my life. Sour grapes are a figment of your imagination.

Lavenderblue2
04-Oct-10, 19:00
Well done Wick!!

It doesn't matter in the least how many other silver medals were won, Wick won a Silver Medal and they should be very proud of themselves. :)

scorrie
04-Oct-10, 19:39
It doesn't matter in the least how many other silver medals were won

Hilarious!! That is like saying that an Olympic Gold medal still means the same if every competitor is awarded one regardless of performance.

trinkie
04-Oct-10, 19:44
One again, Congratulations to all those who helped Wick get A Silver Medal. We appreciate all your hard work and tireless effort.
Wick was all the better for your efforts.

Best wishes
Trinkie

Please close this thread.

John Little
04-Oct-10, 19:44
Wick is a beautiful place with a fine community.

Medals? - Schmedals- who needs 'em?

But well done Wick.

Whitewater
04-Oct-10, 20:49
I have now lived in Wick for 40yrs after getting married to Wicker. I have always noticed that the locals seem to talk the place down no matter what. I like Wick and I enjoy living here, the beauty of Wick is not in fancy flowers or how pretty the town looks but in the people and their attitude to life, I love it here and I have good and true friends in the town. Don't knock it, there are more important values than looking good. As for the medal, they done well, the people who put in the work will be encouraged for next year, maybe get a higher placing, who knows.

Betty
05-Oct-10, 03:20

Well done Wick .
Keep up the good work.
Trinkie

Trinkie, I too am proud of the efforts of the folks of Wick. You can see and read about it in the 'Groat's Local News (online).
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/categoryfront.php/id/58/Local_News.html

and scroll down a bit.