PDA

View Full Version : Keeping hens

Ricco
25-Jul-06, 18:26
Is there anyone using one of these new Eglu hen house thingeys? I have seen them advertised and on the web site they certainly look good. Just want to speak to someone who has practical experience of using one before I buy.

Errogie
28-Jul-06, 16:55
Ricco,

They are very expensive for what you get. You would do just as well with a small garden shed and you can pick up point of lay pullets for less that a fiver and ex battery hens for much less but bear in mind nice as it is to rehabilitate them someone else has had their their best production.

If you're short of space, some bantams can give a lot of satisfaction.

fred
28-Jul-06, 19:56
Ricco,

They are very expensive for what you get. You would do just as well with a small garden shed and you can pick up point of lay pullets for less that a fiver and ex battery hens for much less but bear in mind nice as it is to rehabilitate them someone else has had their their best production.

Or if you get some ex battery hens like Warrens and an old fashioned farmyard Rhode Island Red cockerel and one or two bantams to put the Warren eggs under to hatch them you will end up with as good a flock of birds as you could wish for.

Ricco
28-Jul-06, 20:02
Ricco,

Thanks, Eroogie. I must confess I hadn't thought of bantams. Wasn't my idea - I would use an old dog house. The wifie liked the look of these pace-age gizmos.

Old battery hens... hmm, I think not. Only good as broilers. :Razz

Errogie
30-Jul-06, 20:58
The nice thing about a supply of your own eggs is being able to give them away or use them for barter. I once had a very good trading arrangement with a bee keeper, but of course the quality of the eggs makes you realise how much we loose with the standard supermarket purchase and that applies to the flavour and texture of your own veg as well.

Go for the good life Ricco, there's something soothing and de stressing about a hen clucking in the garden, a bit like having a cat purring on your knee but it can also depend upon your neighbours and their proximity.

Thurso had its share of urban poultry farmers I can remember hens being kept half way down Davidson's Lane just above Brabster Street and being pecked by one when I was a small boy. There was also assorted poultry at the junction of Rose Street and Robertson's Lane with a very elderly collie that tried to keep them off the road. Used to pass that way en route to the old West Public school. And then Rosebank above the railway line had some of everything but by then you were getting into the country.

Ricco
31-Jul-06, 13:22
Well, a follow-up. Went to see someone whohas one of these space-age hen houses and a couple of hens. We were appalled at the damage caused throughout the garden by the hens. Nothing was sacred, seems they were even eating the rhubarb that is supposed to be very bad for them. Lawn was ruined and every plant was damaged. So, no hens. Tesco's will still get our custom. :(

Errogie
31-Jul-06, 21:56
Ah you've stepped back from the brink of the self sufficiency voyage of discovery. If you think hens are bad you should see what a free range pig can acheive in a garden. But next time you head north I can arrange to waylay you with some eggs from really organic gaelic speaking hens and you can see what you are missing.

Ricco
31-Jul-06, 22:07
Ah you've stepped back from the brink of the self sufficiency voyage of discovery. If you think hens are bad you should see what a free range pig can acheive in a garden. But next time you head north I can arrange to waylay you with some eggs from really organic gaelic speaking hens and you can see what you are missing.

Thanks, Errogie. All is not yet lost - just a rethink going on here. I will keep in my your invitation about the gaelic hens, though. ;)

Naefearjustbeer
01-Aug-06, 01:07
Sounds like my garden could do with a few hens and a free range pig to flatten my jungle down a bit :lol: Do they eat nettles and dandy lions??

Ricco
01-Aug-06, 09:43
Sounds like my garden could do with a few hens and a free range pig to flatten my jungle down a bit :lol: Do they eat nettles and dandy lions??

Dandy Lions - yes; Nettles need a donkey. :Razz

Naefearjustbeer
02-Aug-06, 00:54
The wife thinks I am an Ass so almost there. :lol:

Ricco
02-Aug-06, 09:10
The wife thinks I am an Ass so almost there. :lol:

I am sure that all wives think that all husbands are asses - beasts of burden who should never be left idle! Woe is me! :~(