PDA

View Full Version : what is a "tink"

Commore
02-Oct-10, 19:45
Anyone got any idea what the definition of the word "tink" is?
beyond the definations thrown up by the web,

Is this word in regular use around this area or is this word something dredged up by the utterer?

laguna2
02-Oct-10, 19:47
As far as I am aware it is an abbreviation for the word "tinker" but no doubt someone will shoot me down in flames!

teddybear1873
02-Oct-10, 19:49
Pass..............Aint going there, last time I got an infraction.

Corrie 3
02-Oct-10, 19:51
I tink I dont know the answer to that!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Kodiak
02-Oct-10, 19:52
There are many definations for the word "Tink" and some of them not very nice.

One Defination is to Knit Backwards to rectify a mistake, ie "I found a mistake in my knitting and tinked back to fix it."

laguna2
02-Oct-10, 19:54
1.A traveling mender of metal household utensils.
2.Chiefly British. A member of any of various traditionally itinerant groups of people living especially in Scotland and Ireland; a traveler.
3.One who enjoys experimenting with and repairing machine parts.
4.A clumsy repairer or worker; a meddler

Kevin Milkins
02-Oct-10, 19:55
I believe it is derogatory word now, but as I understood, it was short for tinker, and I was led to believe that a tinker got his name from the travelling people that used to repair teapots and such out of tin while they travelled around.

Amy-Winehouse
02-Oct-10, 20:50
Anyone got any idea what the definition of the word "tink" is?
beyond the definations thrown up by the web,

Is this word in regular use around this area or is this word something dredged up by the utterer?

http://i56.tinypic.com/2s7t1f5.gif

Aaldtimer
02-Oct-10, 20:54
Tink, short for tinker, which is in itself short for tinkler. i.e. The sound their pots & pans made as they travelled the country in pursuit of a much used service.
Unfortunately the word is now used more as an insult.

Kodiak...not being a knitter I have never heard that one before, interesting!:D

seadog
02-Oct-10, 21:03
I would consider that the word is still in use in Scotland
;)

tonkatojo
02-Oct-10, 21:13
I tink I dont know the answer to that!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Did you mean " I tink I don't know the answer to tat " ;)

GuitarHero
02-Oct-10, 21:14
The word is used by small-minded and prejudice Caithness people as an insult, and half of them don't even know what the true definition of such a word even is.

Corrie 3
02-Oct-10, 21:32
and half of them don't even know what the true definition of such a word even is.
And are you going to tell us???
Tinking about it I bet you dont even know the true definition!!

C3...;):lol:

John Little
03-Oct-10, 08:44
Something I was told when I was a kid.

The tinkers who travelled round the north and west of Scotland, so he said, are descended from small groups of shipwrecked men from the Spanish Armada who intermarried with local girls. Because they were Sassenachs there was a certain prejudice against them

DNA profiling might be quite revealing if this is the case.

After all, if one is descended from Don Jose Garcia dos lobos then one might consider that one is a cut above......

bitofamixup
03-Oct-10, 10:26
i believe it is a word that some use to insult travelling folk ie tink,pikey,gypsy etc etc

gleeber
03-Oct-10, 10:45
I find it difficult to even think of the word when I consider the injustices and prejudices certain families suffered in Caithness because of the stigma attached to it.
I can see by the responses on this thread that most people who have posted here are ignorant to it's effects on people who are branded by the name.
This word comes up from time to time and I am surprised the powers that be appear indifferent to its use.
It's all very well talking about tinkers and the history behind travelling people but the word used here is derogatory and has no place on the org.

John Little
03-Oct-10, 10:53
I find it difficult to even think of the word when I consider the injustices and prejudices certain families suffered in Caithness because of the stigma attached to it.
I can see by the responses on this thread that most people who have posted here are ignorant to it's effects on people who are branded by the name.
This word comes up from time to time and I am surprised the powers that be appear indifferent to its use.
It's all very well talking about tinkers and the history behind travelling people but the word used here is derogatory and has no place on the org.

I can see where you are coming from but I don't entirely agree. This is a community website and as such a good place to discuss such things.
Many people do not know the meaning of the word or its weight.

I do - my generation knows the word well.

Lots of people use words they have no idea of the meaning of - they think they are just words. If they knew the meanings of them then they probably would not use them.

Tell me- what is the best way to dissolve prejudice?

To not talk about it?

Or to face it, explain it, and see it dissolve away as its irrationality becomes clear?

If one person ceases to use the word as a result of what is said here, then I would see that as a good outcome.

gleeber
03-Oct-10, 11:06
I suspect if you had been brought up under the shadow of that word your opinion would be different.
Does the word to describe a black person which was commonly used when we were younger need to be discussed on the org? No, its wrong to use it. Similarily with the word used here. Its always used in a derogatory manner to humiliate and shame people of certain families.
Perhaps sopmeone from that background would like to comment?

John Little
03-Oct-10, 11:18
I suspect if you had been brought up under the shadow of that word your opinion would be different.
Does the word to describe a black person which was commonly used when we were younger need to be discussed on the org? No, its wrong to use it. Similarily with the word used here. Its always used in a derogatory manner to humiliate and shame people of certain families.
Perhaps someone from that background would like to comment?

I suspect that you are right if I had been brought up with the word being used about me, so after this I will indeed stay quiet in hopes that someone will comment on it who did experience it.

The N word has gone out of use in my lifetime too. But it went out of use because people were told and became aware that it was derogatory- there was a process of informing and social awareness changing. It did not go out of use because people did not talk about it.

Clearly Tink needs to go through the same process.

Bill Fernie
03-Oct-10, 11:23
This topic has surfaced before and given rise to complaints.

I think once again in order to prevent comments that might cause offence to members of the community either here in Caithness or elsewhere I am closing the thread.

I fully understand freedom of speech but where something is likely to be hurtful to forum members and others I must err on the side of caution.