PDA

View Full Version : Druids to get tax breaks after religious ruling

crayola
02-Oct-10, 12:41
From the BBC: Druids to get tax breaks after religious ruling (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11457795)

Druidry is to become the first pagan practice to be given official recognition as a religion.

The Charity Commission has accepted that druids' worship of spirits arising from the natural world could be seen as a religious activity.And about time too. Why should religions that involve belief in beings and things that may or may not exist get tax relief while religions that involve belief in at least some things that do exist don't get tax relief?

Maybe none of them should get tax relief but the new ruling is at least fair.

Now I need to find myself a good charity lawyer. :)

gleeber
02-Oct-10, 13:16
Fair play but Why should any organised body get tax relief on the grounds of spirtual well being?. There were moans of amazements during the week at suggestions that overweight people could be paid in an effort to help them lose weight. Whats the difference between people who are trying to achieve a physical goal and those who are trying to achive a psychological goal? Apart from the obvious that is.
I think it's a racket.

Gleber2
02-Oct-10, 13:33
Gleeber and I agreeing. Mark the calender. As far as I am concerned there are no druids at all, only pretenders like Ken Barlowe. The modern Oder of Druids only came into being in the 1930's. Why should any religion get tax relief?

Walter Ego
02-Oct-10, 15:49
Gleeber and I agreeing. Mark the calender. As far as I am concerned there are no druids at all, only pretenders like Ken Barlowe. The modern Oder of Druids only came into being in the 1930's. Why should any religion get tax relief?

Ken Barlow is an iconic figure with millions of followers.

It is only right that he, and other members of the sect, receive tax exemption.

Especially now there are a couple of teenage lesbians in the show......

Phill
02-Oct-10, 15:59
Now I need to find myself a good charity lawyer. :)

Check the WADF thread!

:cool:

Phill
02-Oct-10, 16:01
Especially now there are a couple of teenage lesbians in the show......

:eek::eek::eek:

Is that allowed in this day and age?

Phill
02-Oct-10, 16:02
Whatever happened to the Jedi's and the poll tax?

Geo
02-Oct-10, 18:10
Fair play but Why should any organised body get tax relief on the grounds of spirtual well being?.

I think the tax breaks are due to them now being accepted by The Charity Commission as a charitable organisation rather than a religious one. I'm guessing all charities get tax breaks.

crayola
03-Oct-10, 13:27
I think religions should only be given tax breaks if they can prove they are genuine charities but whatever the situation it should be a level playing field.

Evil religions such as Scientology should be treated as terrorist organisations.

oldmarine
03-Oct-10, 14:42
Druid - an ancient religion has been revived officially.

crayola
09-Oct-10, 16:31
Druid - an ancient religion has been revived officially.That's a lovely way of looking at it. Thank you for your insight oldmarine x

bekisman
09-Oct-10, 17:01
I think religions should only be given tax breaks if they can prove they are genuine charities but whatever the situation it should be a level playing field.

Evil religions such as Scientology should be treated as terrorist organisations.

What's wrong with aliens, science fiction and Tom Cruise?
Says I (humanist) ;)

crayola
10-Oct-10, 14:33
They are evil as well as bonkers. [disgust]

bekisman
10-Oct-10, 22:21
They are evil as well as bonkers. [disgust]

Agree with you Crayola
Just been watching "Secrets of Scientology" which we recorded a while back - Hmm quite interesting, The group was founded by the science-fiction writer L Ron Hubbard in 1952 and espouses the idea that humans are descended from an exiled race of aliens called Thetans. They also mention Xenu.
Now,Xenu was, according to Ron, the director of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of his people to Earth in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology dogma holds that the essences of these many people remained, and that they form around people in modern times, causing them spiritual harm. Hmmm..

Additionally back in 1984 high court ruling from Mr Justice Latey, in which he described the Church of Scientology as a "cult" which was "corrupt, sinister and dangerous". Seems certain Film stars are scientologists? so what, most of 'em are airheads anyway..
Having watched the programme, suppose must agree 'there's one born ever minute'..

NB: Often fail to understand why so many people get taken in by cults and beliefs, don't they believe in 'free-will'.. saw a bill-board in Edinburgh during the Pope's visit: "Two million Scots are good without God" seems reasonable?

Kenn
10-Oct-10, 22:42
What I'd like to know is, just what is a druid?
There are various historical references to them but they are very differing and as there are no scripts that can be atributed to them, all of what has been recorded has to be treated as hearsay.
Whilst there is alot of folklore about them again with changing attitudes over the centuries and the expansion of knowledge how reliable is that as a source either?

Now if I go gathering mistletoe with a sycle dressed in a long white robe and uttering strange chants I would get some very strange looks and most of them very uncharitable!

crayola
16-Oct-10, 02:07
Druids are whoever and whatever they want to be. Pagan religions put the emphasis on their feelings about reality rather than on strict rules and membership cards. That's how and why we will inherit the Earth. ;)

bekisman
16-Oct-10, 09:05
Oh well this will cheer someone up..

Councils have been urged by Eric Pickles not to give special tax breaks to the Church of Scientology. The communities secretary said he did not believe most voters would want their councils to give favoured tax treatment to the organisation.The BBC's Panorama has said Westminster City Council gives the church 80% rates relief on its London Celebrity Centre. The Church of Scientology says local council authorities have "recognised the religious nature of Scientology".

"The Church of Scientology is not a registered charity, since the Charity Commission has ruled that it does not provide a public benefit. Nor are its premises a recognised place of worship." - Hmm seems fair enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11554738 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11554738)

Paul_and_Anna
16-Oct-10, 11:00
Druids? Sects? Tax Breaks? Fair enough ..... why not ..... providing they are all on some very far away Island.

Perhaps the Politicians could join them there, then we could begin to build a world with freedom and equality for ALL mankind.

All the Gods that man has contrived or chooses to believe in don't seem much interested in our fate right now so it is probably high time we started to care about it ourselves. I've seen what crimes have been and are perpetrated in the name of God/Gods, so providing the worshipers are happy to get their backsides out of town as far as I am concerned they can pretty much have any financial incentive they might demand.

All that coming from two people who do have faith ..... :)

Anyone know of a nice Planet for rent? The people on this particular rock seem to be losing the Plot .................

crayola
16-Oct-10, 12:07
Paul et Anna you will make good pagans. But first you have to learn that we are not like the other religions. In fact we are barely a religion at all.

canuck
16-Oct-10, 20:44
I think that Druids morphed into early Celtic Christians. There were many similarities.

As to the non-tax status of religious organizations it is on the basis of the charitable activities of the organization that the status is awarded.

Kenn
16-Oct-10, 21:02
My point I think crayola, they are what ever the choose to be as they have no historical facts to point them in any one direction and that makes it a very difficult to accept them as a credible group.
Now there are pre-christian forms of worship that are well documented but I for one have no idea whether druidism has any connection to them and from what I have read and studied I very much doubt that they do.

crayola
16-Oct-10, 22:41
Oh dear I'm not getting my message over at all am I?

The majority of religions are not based on facts. They're based on rules that are based on stories and traditions from an age when we knew next to nothing compared to what we know now. many are built on quicksand yet our legal system gives them charitable status because they've survived hundreds of years of spring tides and equinoxes despite that quicksand.

Modern pagan religions don't go near quicksand because we know it will be washed away before long. We pay homage to the world that supports us, the real world, the one that we know exists. We are flexible modern and we improvise. We are also non-confrontational.

Kenn
17-Oct-10, 01:17
MODERN !
There is nothing that is modern about the ancient beliefs and may be you should do some reasearch into them before you pronounce such statements.

theone
17-Oct-10, 02:13
Why do religions get tax breaks at all?

Why are they treated differently to other political/social beliefs?

The respect that the religious are given in our society is disgusting. We can sit here all day and argue about windfarms, gaelic and Scottish nationalism but for some reason we wont, don't or can't criticise or question religion to the extent that there may be a right or a wrong.

ducati
17-Oct-10, 09:16
Oh dear I'm not getting my message over at all am I?

The majority of religions are not based on facts. They're based on rules that are based on stories and traditions from an age when we knew next to nothing compared to what we know now. many are built on quicksand yet our legal system gives them charitable status because they've survived hundreds of years of spring tides and equinoxes despite that quicksand.

I thought the big 'thing' about religions was that they were based on faith?

crayola
17-Oct-10, 13:18
MODERN !
There is nothing that is modern about the ancient beliefs and may be you should do some reasearch into them before you pronounce such statements.Yes modern. We discard the ancient beliefs that are factually wrong and those that are nowadays regarded as morally, socially or economically wrong and merge them with modernity. We even introduce new faiths and beliefs. As I said we improvise and we improve.

Why do religions get tax breaks at all?

Why are they treated differently to other political/social beliefs?

The respect that the religious are given in our society is disgusting. We can sit here all day and argue about windfarms, gaelic and Scottish nationalism but for some reason we wont, don't or can't criticise or question religion to the extent that there may be a right or a wrong.It's the charity aspect as I mentioned earlier and canuck reminded us of last night. That's all.

I thought the big 'thing' about religions was that they were based on faith?Yes they were. Or most of them were. We are discarding faith that shouldn't be there but are keeping faith that should in our opinion be there and merging it with fact and our principles.

Kenn
17-Oct-10, 13:58
If I am enterpreting your posts correctly crayola, you are making it up as you go along and taking only those elements of life that suit.
That would make for a sect and not a religion.

squidge
17-Oct-10, 15:25
Crayola were you involved in the Druid training my friend Dave went to in Edinburgh last month so he could play a Druid in a show he was doing?

crayola
17-Oct-10, 21:39
If I am enterpreting your posts correctly crayola, you are making it up as you go along and taking only those elements of life that suit.
That would make for a sect and not a religion.You're getting there now. We aren't a cult though. We are the core around which a new 21st century version of an ancient religion can nucleate. One that is derived from centuries of proven practice and which respects the Earth and all who sail through the cosmos on Her.

Crayola were you involved in the Druid training my friend Dave went to in Edinburgh last month so he could play a Druid in a show he was doing?Not me I'm sorry to say. But if you know anyone needing to learn a few spells for the stage....................

Kenn
17-Oct-10, 21:47
Any specific ancient religion, there are myriads to choose from or are you going for an amalgum?

gleeber
17-Oct-10, 22:12
You're getting there now. We aren't a cult though. We are the core around which a new 21st century version of an ancient religion can nucleate. One that is derived from centuries of proven practice and which respects the Earth and all who sail through the cosmos on Her.

Not me I'm sorry to say. But if you know anyone needing to learn a few spells for the stage....................

I knew it was a racket.

Paul_and_Anna
18-Oct-10, 10:28
I knew it was a racket.
I think I'll stick to Wicker, damn the Tax breaks, give me some heavy doses of dipping naked virgins into the water supply to purify it!

That isn't to say that I would then drink it ..................

Paul. (Now having to wear glasses)

ducati
18-Oct-10, 14:41
I think I'll stick to Wicker, damn the Tax breaks, give me some heavy doses of dipping naked virgins into the water supply to purify it!

That isn't to say that I would then drink it ..................

Paul. (Now having to wear glasses)

erm.. where are you going to find a virgin? :eek:

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 09:42
erm.. where are you going to find a virgin? :eek:

Inverness?

Whitewater
20-Oct-10, 15:56
Druids? Sects? Tax Breaks? Fair enough ..... why not ..... providing they are all on some very far away Island.

Perhaps the Politicians could join them there, then we could begin to build a world with freedom and equality for ALL mankind.

All the Gods that man has contrived or chooses to believe in don't seem much interested in our fate right now so it is probably high time we started to care about it ourselves. I've seen what crimes have been and are perpetrated in the name of God/Gods, so providing the worshipers are happy to get their backsides out of town as far as I am concerned they can pretty much have any financial incentive they might demand.

All that coming from two people who do have faith ..... :)

Anyone know of a nice Planet for rent? The people on this particular rock seem to be losing the Plot .................

Good post, I've fallen out with many of the religious biggots over the years, telling them about the spin doctors who wrote the bible in the 3rd century AD. I can assure you Blair and his cronies could have learned a lot from them.

At least the Druids seem to accept nature and life as it is, sort of like the Native Americans and the great spirit in the sky.

Paul_and_Anna
20-Oct-10, 16:11
Good post, I've fallen out with many of the religious biggots over the years, telling them about the spin doctors who wrote the bible in the 3rd century AD. I can assure you Blair and his cronies could have learned a lot from them.

At least the Druids seem to accept nature and life as it is, sort of like the Native Americans and the great spirit in the sky.

Thee and we both! :)

I'm not quite sure which great spirit in the sky the Druids actually subscribe to, and apparently studies at Stonehenge have failed to shed much light on their great spirit either. Perhaps they were all "Stoned" when they had to make a choice. (worst pun of the day and remember you read it here first folks)

Methinks it will be another simple case of an ideal excuse for tom foolery with virgins and/or harlots! I have never actually eaten a Harlot, do they taste like Broad Beans? As for virgins ....... don't ask! I think you can find them in the yellow pages under "Rarities and Antiquities"

I think I just spotted an orb in my living room, either that or the wife has forgotten her bra again ..........

Paul likes a good laugh. :)

crayola
30-Oct-10, 17:55
Any specific ancient religion, there are myriads to choose from or are you going for an amalgum?
An amalgam of course. The ancient religions weren't distinct anyways and some were better than others in some regions and vice versa in others.

This lot are a bit boring and they take themselves too seriously but some might a enjoy a wee peek into our world......

A witch in time (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11652512)

Kenn
30-Oct-10, 18:34
Mostly clap trap putting it politely although there is an acknowledgement of The Circle and the power of fire but no mention of The Power of Three or the power of the stone.

crayola
30-Oct-10, 23:14
I would very much hope they wouldn't revert to the power of three! :eek:

This is one of the ancient myths that we've dropped because it was wrong and proved to be wrong by our modern world. The stone thing suffered the same fate. Stone and crystal power don't exist. How can they? Stones and crystals contain no life. I don't know who your teacher is or was but I would recommend you find a new one pronto.

Kenn
31-Oct-10, 08:55
Where is your proof that certain things were wrong?
I think you have just proved the point that I have been making all the time, you are just making things up as you go along and discarding any thing that does not fit into your agenda.

Paul_and_Anna
02-Nov-10, 12:13
I would very much hope they wouldn't revert to the power of three! :eek:

This is one of the ancient myths that we've dropped because it was wrong and proved to be wrong by our modern world. The stone thing suffered the same fate. Stone and crystal power don't exist. How can they? Stones and crystals contain no life. I don't know who your teacher is or was but I would recommend you find a new one pronto.

Wrong ...... Some crystals contain bacteria, which is of course a form of life. Even stones can contain elements of water/microbes. Who needs a new Teacher now? :)

onecalledk
02-Nov-10, 13:46
at the risk of putting even more fuel on this particular bonfire crystals DO contain life or we would not be having this "debate" on this platform. Crystal power is what drives your pcs, your laptops, your watches etc. All you have to do is go into a laboratory, turn the lights down and watch for the glow of "life" within the crystal ........

If one comes from the belief that this planet is alive and we are her children then from that belief there HAS to be life in EVERYTHING that is alive on the planet, there cant not be!

For those who proclaim to follow ancient ways then please respect ALL of life on the planet and dont seek to confuse those who may have less knowledge by bombarding them with different views, the ancient ways are but one part of a bigger picture.

If energy = life then all of the universe is in fact alive as it is made up of energy.

Mother earth gives us nature, nature is alive, a tree is alive as it has energy running through it or it would not grow. A crystal is alive because it has energy running through it or it would not grow in the ground.

Energy and life in the universe HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION. Religion is the words that man seeks to control his fellow man.

Once again at the risk of repeating what I have typed so often is why do those who have a particular belief seem intent on proving something to others. If you are secure in your belief system and LIVE your belief system then you would not seek to change others views on what they believe.

K

crayola
06-Nov-10, 01:18
Where is your proof that certain things were wrong?
I think you have just proved the point that I have been making all the time, you are just making things up as you go along and discarding any thing that does not fit into your agenda.Lizz sweetie, I haven't proved any point. I told you what we have been doing with some tedious repetition and you expressed the bits you picked up about the developments we have been making using your own words. So far so good but if you want to progress you need to look for the positives and at the same time discard the negatives and the things that were wrong with the old beliefs.

Wrong ...... Some crystals contain bacteria, which is of course a form of life. Even stones can contain elements of water/microbes. Who needs a new Teacher now? :)Dirty imperfect crystals contain a cornucopia of pollutants as do stones but that's not the issue. Neither stones nor crystals have any powers because they don't contain anything that produces power and neither do they don't contain any living thing that can make productive or intelligent use of externally applied influences. Those that say otherwise are clinging to the old beliefs just like the witches of the past that were burned or drowned. This is what the modern world has taught us and that's why we have discarded the old beliefs.

The power of three would rely on creating something out of nothing which can't work unless living things intervene. This means that the power of three is not a property of the universe.

Kenn
06-Nov-10, 01:42
Oh dear, and by the way I an NOT a sweetie!
Earth, water and fire are three of the fundamentals.
So, stone has no power,what then is silicon? Why then did the ancients build huge monuments of stone,as we still do?

crayola
06-Nov-10, 15:29
Stone has no power. It was a building material utilised by the ancients to build monuments to the Sun and the stars which provided the power and the material to (Mother) Earth for her project of Life. Fire is a manifestation of power and Water is the enabler.

Silicon is an element, a crystalline element. It has no intrinsic power. You have to plug it in to a power source to do anything with it. :lol:

I think you are a sweetie for replying to my posts but I shall refrain from saying it in future if you prefer.

John Little
06-Nov-10, 16:21
Errrr - isn't Uranium a stone? When you dig it out?

Kenn
06-Nov-10, 17:32
But stone does have a power, we are attracted to it for many reasons.
Who has not gazed in awe at stone circles, the pyramids and other such monuments?
Whilst even the lore of the stone that walks is not so far from the truth as techniques have been demonstrated to show that with sufficient manpower,a few rollers and good rope huge stones can be moved. In ancient cultures this was known as the stone that went by it's self.
We build huge structures from it as a statement of power.
We prize gemstones for their great beauty and worth and go to great lengths to obtain them.

ducati
06-Nov-10, 17:40
Who has not gazed in awe at stone circles, the pyramids and other such monuments?
Whilst even the lore of the stone that walks is not so far from the truth as techniques have been demonstrated to show that with sufficient manpower,a few rollers and good rope huge stones can be moved. In ancient cultures this was known as the stone that went by it's self.
We prize gemstones for their great beauty and worth and go to great lengths to obtain them.

Sorry Lizz. The Ancient Egyptians and the Mayans et all never build their lasting monuments. Not possible I'm afraid. Particularly the Myans didn't even have the wheel. They did not lift 100-ton stones into place and make them fit together so well you can't measure the gaps with a laser.

And the Egyptians didn't build Pyramids with a million 2-ton stones. I don't care how many of them there were:eek:

John Little
06-Nov-10, 17:45
Wheeeeee! Somebody's been reading Erich von Danniken again......;)

ducati
06-Nov-10, 17:51
Wheeeeee! Somebody's been reading Erich von Danniken again......;)

Not him, he is a fraud ;)

Interesting interview with a stone sculpter recently, he couldn't replicate the accuracy of geometric shapes carved into stone by the Myans, with a CNC machine. The Myans had no tool harder than copper:eek: They worked accurately with 100 ton Granite blocks. (yeah right!)

crayola
06-Nov-10, 18:19
We prize gemstones for their great beauty and worth and go to great lengths to obtain them.You can call all that a power if you like but it's a purely human reaction or a metaphysical power, not one that does anything directly of its own accord. You can't power your PC or heat your body with it.

The stone in structures such as stone circles and pyramids is merely a conduit for our respect for the real power in the sun and the stars. We choose stone because it's durable and it lasts for ever. I felt a sort of power when I visited Stonehenge and the Mayan temples but that's a purely intelligent power that derives from the human endeavour of our ancestors.

Wheeeeee! Somebody's been reading Erich von Danniken again......;) His pyramids are as daft as his politics. Isn't that what you'd expect. :lol:

I still like him despite all that. ;)

oldmarine
07-Nov-10, 15:22

According to some ancient historians, stones were the first weapons used by ancient man. LOL...