PDA

View Full Version : Decent Rolls!

Scarybiscuits03
30-Sep-10, 22:22
Is there anywhere in Thurso that you can get decent burger rolls? (sesame seeded baps) Not the horrible long life ones that are made from cardboard!

What is it with the bakers round here, they dont make burger buns, baps, subs, etc. Have they ever heard of Gregg's - they should get some ideas from their websites - great sarnies and savouries - Mmmm steak slice and their ssg rolls are a brill hangover cure!!!

Nacho
30-Sep-10, 23:41
Is there anywhere in Thurso that you can get decent burger rolls? (sesame seeded baps) Not the horrible long life ones that are made from cardboard!

What is it with the bakers round here, they dont make burger buns, baps, subs, etc. Have they ever heard of Gregg's - they should get some ideas from their websites - great sarnies and savouries - Mmmm steak slice and their ssg rolls are a brill hangover cure!!!

if you'd bothered your arse to look hard enough you would have discovered Reid's bakery :roll:

try their sesame rolls (while you're at it, try their other buns, baps and subs) they're excellent and go very well with Castletown butcher's burgers ;)

do your research before ranting and bemoaning the state of the local bakers

veekay
01-Oct-10, 13:38
Try eating gluten free rolls you will NEVER complain again.

Scarybiscuits03
01-Oct-10, 15:28
if you'd bothered your arse to look hard enough you would have discovered Reid's bakery :roll:

try their sesame rolls (while you're at it, try their other buns, baps and subs) they're excellent and go very well with Castletown butcher's burgers ;)

do your research before ranting and bemoaning the state of the local bakers

I've lived here all my life and never been a fan of Reid's bakery as their products vary in standard. One day their rolls can be great and others they're very doughy or dry - I believe this is due to them possibly not cleaning out the excess from the previous batch before making a fresh one (so I've been informed). SO GET DOWN OF YOUR HIGH HORSE, I have done plenty of research so wasn't ranting (if anyone is guilty of that it would be you!) - personally McDonald's bakery in Wick have a much higher standard of produce but as far as I'm aware do not do a burger bun (correct me if Im wrong?) - which by the was is what I was asking if you had bothered to read properly

Scarybiscuits03
01-Oct-10, 15:30
Try eating gluten free rolls you will NEVER complain again.

I have tried these also - won't be buying again unless they're for throwing at someone! lol

Rheghead
01-Oct-10, 15:43

I have, it must be the only place where they cook a burger straight from raw in the microwave. :eek:

changilass
01-Oct-10, 16:07
Make your own, then you know the quality and have no one else to blame but yourself if the standard aint the same every time lol.

poppett
01-Oct-10, 16:12
I have had McDonalds bakery sesame burger rolls and they are delicious. I got a pack of four from Frasers shop on Castlegreen Road.

OH doesn`t like bits............he prefers Jamiesons floury rolls..........with the flour rubbed off!

There is no accounting for taste.

Have had salad rolls from Reids, oval shaped things with seeds on top but they vary in quality from day to day.

gollach
01-Oct-10, 16:50
OH doesn`t like bits............he prefers Jamiesons floury rolls..........with the flour rubbed off!

So glad to hear someone else rubs the extra flour off the top. :lol:

poppett
01-Oct-10, 16:56
I don`t like the flour on top either, G, however I just buy the rolls without the flour on.............except today I discovered the unfloured rolls are a penny dearer than the floury ones, but taste the same.

Just remembered Greggs steak bake being mentioned earlier in the posts and have had a steakbake from Yellop`s Cliff bakery in Wick which was rather tasty.

I like Harry Gows chicken and leek pastry parcels and their curry pies, but Brora is a bit far to go and anytime we are passing through they are sold out.

pink
01-Oct-10, 18:46
Johnstons in thurso will make them for you , but you will need to order them a day in advance

bagpuss
01-Oct-10, 22:38
Burgers are bad for you!!!! Try a nice salad instead- or a Ryvita and cottage cheese

redeyedtreefrog
01-Oct-10, 23:27
The best rolls come from the Cliff in Wick, consistently high standard, perfect for bacon. Now I'm hungry.

Scarybiscuits03
01-Oct-10, 23:36
Burgers are bad for you!!!! Try a nice salad instead- or a Ryvita and cottage cheese

My point exactly so when I have one I want it to be perfect - not soggy!!!....burgers that is, not salad! lol

shazzap
01-Oct-10, 23:42
I have, it must be the only place where they cook a burger straight from raw in the microwave. :eek:

Your jeasting :eek: Arn't you?

joxville
02-Oct-10, 00:08
I've lived here all my life and never been a fan of Reid's bakery as their products vary in standard. One day their rolls can be great and others they're very doughy or dry - I believe this is due to them possibly not cleaning out the excess from the previous batch before making a fresh one (so I've been informed). SO GET DOWN OF YOUR HIGH HORSE, I have done plenty of research so wasn't ranting (if anyone is guilty of that it would be you!) - personally McDonald's bakery in Wick have a much higher standard of produce but as far as I'm aware do not do a burger bun (correct me if Im wrong?) - which by the was is what I was asking if you had bothered to read properly

See that bit above ^^^, the bit that I've highlighted, well that could be considered libellous because you don't know for a fact that that is the case; it's also rumours like that that damage businesses. I suggest you retract your accusation.

Rheghead
02-Oct-10, 02:37
it's also rumours like that that damage businesses. I suggest you retract your accusation.

Why would it damage a business? No one goes by what is said here anyway. It is just a gee.

joxville
02-Oct-10, 11:22
Why would it damage a business? No one goes by what is said here anyway. It is just a gee.

We all know what Caithness is like for scurrilous rumours. :)

gleeber
02-Oct-10, 13:32
See that bit above ^^^, the bit that I've highlighted, well that could be considered libellous because you don't know for a fact that that is the case; it's also rumours like that that damage businesses. I suggest you retract your accusation.
I wid agree.

I wid agree with Joxville.
It would damage a business by virtue of the fact that a seed has been planted in the minds of people who read it.
I'm not sure what you mean by gee but I assume it to mean a kind of wind-up rather than the dictionary definition.
Its folly not to recognise the power of the internet when we post on here because its association with everyday lives is on the news everyday of the week.
The internet does flavour peoples thinking. Everything does.

thirsaloon
02-Oct-10, 23:15
I agee with Gleeber and Joxville. Must admit I have tasted Reids produce and cant complain about it in any way though of course everyone will have their own particular likes and dislikes.

Though rather than complain about it on here would it not be better to approach the baker and let them know. When you think of the amount of awards they have won then I would imagine that says something for the quality of their goods.

As for their rolls I think they are excellent and as mentioned before I cant fault them in any way.

M R
03-Oct-10, 02:29
Nothing wrong with Reids rolls, think Scarybiscuits03 needs a hobby

Save your emotion for something worthwhile.

Pathetic thread.

_Ju_
03-Oct-10, 09:35
I believe this is due to them possibly not cleaning out the excess from the previous batch before making a fresh one (so I've been informed).

Bread is supposed to be made using a bit of dough which has live yeast. Are you sure that this is not what is happening? Maybe someone who glimpsed part of the breadmaking process and did not understand what they were seeing thought it was laziness to clean the machines instead of purposeful addition of live dough?

Cattach
03-Oct-10, 10:46
I agee with Gleeber and Joxville. Must admit I have tasted Reids produce and cant complain about it in any way though of course everyone will have their own particular likes and dislikes.

Though rather than complain about it on here would it not be better to approach the baker and let them know. When you think of the amount of awards they have won then I would imagine that says something for the quality of their goods.

As for their rolls I think they are excellent and as mentioned before I cant fault them in any way.

This is about the most balanced response in this thread I have read and I tend to agree with most of it. However, leaving aside burger rolls if you want a good morning roll then fresh from Johnstones small shop by the bakery are hard to beat anywhere in the country not just the county.

As for Reids - their products are sold now widely in the north of Scotland and would not be so if they were not good. Public choice or lack of it would have knocked them of the shelves by noew. I have been amazed how they sell well firth of Thurso. Well done to an inovative and hardworking family.

joxville
03-Oct-10, 10:57
It all comes down to personal taste. I worked in Johnstons bakery for 11 years, and though I liked their morning rolls I didn't like the bread, I preferred Mothers Pride from the supermarket.

Scarybiscuits03
03-Oct-10, 15:14
Are we all finished now?????
I mean REALLY - I ask a simple question and instead of giving an answer, people prefer to go off on one![disgust]

This forum should be renamed........THERAPY! Certain Orgers tend to do nothing but use it to vent their frustrations - we don't want to hear it!!!!
If you can't answer the question then DON'T!

Joxville - it wasn't an accusation, I said that this was POSSIBLY the case, I did not state that it was.

M R - I don't need a hobby thanks, if you read the initial posting it had nothing to do with Reid's????:confused Perhaps you should take up the hobby of reading;) When I stated that I wasn't a fan of Reid's produce, that is my opinion which I believe I have the right to!

So back to the matter in hand - A simple question asked and only a few sensible answers!! Thanks PINK, I'll give them a try.