PDA

View Full Version : Curriculum Vitae

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-10, 19:24
I was told today that most companies are not allowed to have a prospective employee send them a CV anymore, :confused apparently it contravenes new rules that it discriminates against younger people that have not worked long enough to be able to produce a CV.:eek:

Was the person that told me this yanking my chain, or can someone that may be better informed able to shed some light on the subject?

Corrie 3
30-Sep-10, 19:56
You have found a job to apply for Kevin?????
Dont shout about it or else everyone in Caithness will be after it!!!...:lol:

I think its to do with Age discrimination but not sure which way round its supposed to help, the very young or the very old...perhaps both!

C3....;)

floyed
30-Sep-10, 20:03
I was unemployed until just recently, i applied for a few jobs by just sending in my CV by email.

Phill
30-Sep-10, 20:05
Probably comes from the public service sector. They often have standardised application forms that they use to 'mark' the candidate against the job spec' and person spec'.

Some bigger corporates may have a similar system.

I don't think a CV is no longer allowed but more a case of the PC mad world sanitising everything.

George Brims
30-Sep-10, 20:22
Reading CVs is good mental exercise. Here in the US age discrimination law means no-one puts their date of birth down, so you have to count back to their first job, then reckon they were 22 or 23 finishing their degree, so they must have been born in...

Rheghead
01-Oct-10, 01:58
I agree with this.

The flip side to experience is enthusiasm.

ducati
01-Oct-10, 11:02
I agree with this.

The flip side to experience is enthusiasm.

Yes, but if you need a welder, you need someone who can weld :roll:

The problem young people have (and everyone in Caithness) is that firms don't recruit strategically when times are tough, they just want someone who can prove they know the job and can get on with it.

Valerie Campbell
01-Oct-10, 14:04
So do you think it would be better for folk to leave out their age/date of birth?

Kevin Milkins
02-Oct-10, 15:31
It's interesting to hear the different opinions on this subject, on and off the main board and thanks to everyone that posted.

When I was told of this "new idea" of not excepting a CV, but just tell us all about yourself, my first thoughts were, is the world going mad.:eek:
I can now see some of the reasoning behind it, but if I was going to interview prospective employees I think I would like to take some time and get a preconcieved idea of the applicant before meeting them.

It now seems generally expected for people to lie on there CV and one of the winners of the apprentice was caught out on a few howlers, so I'm not sure what message that would send out to someone preparing a CV.

I would not be happy about taking on someone that I know to have told me lies, but who am I to tell Sir Alan Sugar how to run his business? :lol:

Phill
02-Oct-10, 16:13
Current Position
Internet Warrior for ACME tinterweb inc
Part time position covering many wide and varied topics. Includes interfacing remotely with other internet warriors.

Previous Position
Chief Bottle Washer for United Dairies.
Senior position where I was responsible for the use and application of my own bottle brush.

Recent Achievements
Six munce ago i cudnt evin spel manajor now I arr one.

EDDIE
02-Oct-10, 16:18
Yes, but if you need a welder, you need someone who can weld :roll:

The problem young people have (and everyone in Caithness) is that firms don't recruit strategically when times are tough, they just want someone who can prove they know the job and can get on with it.

I would rather have someone that is keen and full of enthusiasm than someone who is older with experience who has a bit of a attitude at least with the person that has enthusiasm you can train them but u cant do nothing with someone that is set in there own ways.

EDDIE
02-Oct-10, 16:19
So do you think it would be better for folk to leave out their age/date of birth?

I think its better to leave your age out of your cv

Kevin Milkins
02-Oct-10, 19:45
I can't remember who sent me this, but it's very funny.:lol:

My Resimay

To hoom it mae cunsern,

I waunt to apply for the job what I saw in the paper.

I kin Type realee qwik wit one finggar and do sum a counting.

I think I am good on the fone and I no I am a pepole person.

I no my spelling is not too good.

My salerery is open, I kin startemeditely.

Thank yoo in advanse fore yore anser.

Sinseerly,

Tiffanny

PS : Becauze my resimay is a bit short

I sent a pickture of me.

http://prettygirls.bloggero.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/petra-nemcova-a1.jpg
Dear Tiffany,
It's OK honey, we've got spell check.
See you Monday [lol]

ducati
02-Oct-10, 21:39
I would rather have someone that is keen and full of enthusiasm than someone who is older with experience who has a bit of a attitude at least with the person that has enthusiasm you can train them but u cant do nothing with someone that is set in there own ways.

But can weld :lol:

Corrie 3
02-Oct-10, 21:45
But can weld :lol:
Tiffany can weld me any day of the week...she's hired!!!!

C3...[lol][lol]