PDA

View Full Version : When a digital clock gives up.

Errogie
29-Sep-10, 21:07
It's happened to three time pieces recently. Not expensive items, just two wall clocks and a smaller table one.

It starts when you notice the big hands have stopped moving and the minute hand just kicks but can't move on either. So change the battery but absolutely no difference just the same twitching from the minute hand going nowhere fast.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, so screwdriver out and off with the face and into the back of what looks like a fairly standard mechanism with little nylon cogs providing the mechanical connection to the hands. There doesn't seem to be any obvious break in that department so there must be something further back in the nervous system closer to the things beating heart.

By this time amateur surgery has passed the point where there's much prospect of putting it all back together again and besides some components have jumped the kitchen table and the cat has started flicking them around the floor. So Orgers, what is it with quartz clock movements that leads to these parkinsons' type symptons and their ultimate demise?

Does anyone out there know what is going on, can it be cured, or is it an early harbinger of 2012 and the end of the world?

Kodiak
29-Sep-10, 21:22
Just a Point, a clock with a face and hands is an Analogue Clock. A digital Clock is only Numbers like below.

http://i56.tinypic.com/tt9y.jpg

gleeber
29-Sep-10, 22:09
I have a drawer full of the same clocks and a few more still hanging on hooks around the house. I suppose they are not strictly digital clocks but they are fired by the same spark.
They seem to have a mind of their own. Either the batteries I buy are getting weaker or the clocks still ticking are getting hungrier. I have one wee clock that sooks a battery dry in less than 2 weeks. The clock ticks on although it's about 6 months beind the right time. I dont bother with it and treat it a bit like the spider who lives in my car side mirror. he's no worried about the time either.