PDA

View Full Version : Objects in the sky

Better Out Than In
29-Sep-10, 16:26
The previous Sunday 19th October (could have been Monday I forget which) my wife and I both saw a "burning" object plunge into the sea (looking North from Murkle). It started out as a single object, then split into two before disappearing from sight. It was going far too slow to be a shooting star but as fast as a fighter plane diving directly down. My wife seemed to think it had a greeny colour to it; but then she had been on the sherry. The obects had firey tails that gaded quickly as they passed. This has nothing to do with the orange globes seen about recently - just a co-incidence. I can only assume it was space debris. Did anyone else see it? :confused

im behind you
29-Sep-10, 16:30
you say ur wife was on the cherry. was you.

Phill
29-Sep-10, 16:33
Russians!!

Kevin Milkins
29-Sep-10, 16:56
It must have been a time machine, the 19th October is in three weeks time.;)

Scarybiscuits03
29-Sep-10, 18:29
It must have been a time machine, the 19th October is in three weeks time.;)

Ha ha very observant, I hadn't noticed

Dog-eared
29-Sep-10, 19:12
I saw an object 20 years ago on a dark winters night high over Thurso . It disappeared behind cloud to the west, travelling very fast. There was a tail of burning green and yellow behind it.
Just the sort of colour copper wiring makes when burning.
I reckon it was an old satellite burning up.

nightspirit
30-Sep-10, 17:59
SHooting stara are not all streaks depends on the angle of trajectory etc - shallower angle more distance to travel and it will get more drag until at the end it can be very slow odds are you say a shallow atmosphere entry angle metior burnig up at the end of its flight path

veekay
30-Sep-10, 18:30
Hate to admit this but at around six this morning in the sky over Thurso way I saw a large orange/red 'ball'. Most odd as it hasn't been there before.

ducati
30-Sep-10, 18:33
Hate to admit this but at around six this morning in the sky over Thurso way I saw a large orange/red 'ball'. Most odd as it hasn't been there before.

Was it giving off an eairy warmth? :eek:

Dog-eared
30-Sep-10, 20:44
SHooting stara are not all streaks depends on the angle of trajectory etc - shallower angle more distance to travel and it will get more drag until at the end it can be very slow odds are you say a shallow atmosphere entry angle metior burnig up at the end of its flight path

It looked like quite a big thing burning up. Still the same ?

BillyEspie
01-Oct-10, 00:16
well i made a post about the same thing around the 18th of September about this asking people what i had seen in the night sky, but hey i really wish that what ever it is it comes and lands and takes me away just so i can see other worlds and get abit further in life, lol

Scunner
01-Oct-10, 09:34
Answer in todays 'groat'

Metalattakk
01-Oct-10, 13:39
Aye, who'd a' thunk it, eh?

Mystical Potato Head
01-Oct-10, 17:30
It looked like quite a big thing burning up. Still the same ?

Be it space junk or a meteor they all burn in the earths atmosphere,as for being big,the run of the mill shooting star is caused by nothing more than something the size of a grain of sand so its very difficult to determine the size.
Even shallow angle meteors are not going to be going so slow that they could be mistaken for anything else,meteors at best last a few seconds,if anyone sees a light in the sky that last longer then it could only be a fireball or bolide which are larger objects entering the earths atmosphere and because of their size take longer to burn up or sometimes actually get through the atmosphere.

If you see a light in the sky and have time to shout to your OH "come and look at this" and its still there when they come out then its probably a chinese lantern,certainly not a meteor or space junk.
If you see an object slowly get brighter over a period of a few seconds and then get dimmer you will have seen an "Iridium Flare",a fancy term for a satelite rotating and catching the sunlight as it passes overhead.
These are relatively slow moving and would take about 3-4 mins to pass across the sky.