PDA

View Full Version : Oag/Farquhar

Anonymous
19-Nov-01, 23:06
Does anyone have any Oags or Farquhars in their tree?

Specifically looking for Alexander Oag born about 1736 in Wick, married Elspeth Farquhar about 1758, daughter of William Farquhar and Margaret Bruce.

I believe William was born in 1702 son of Donald Farquhar and Margaret Rose but that isn't certain yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kath.heywood on 30-Nov-2001 6:26pm ]</font>

Anonymous
20-Nov-01, 22:00
I have an Alaxander Oag circa 1736 died c1804 married Elizabeth Farquhar. They had a son James, born 1776 married Ann Campbell 1800

died 1855 buried Thrumster.

Anonymous
21-Nov-01, 10:41
That has to be the one, send me an email address and I'll forward you a copy of the tree, James was my partners Gt, Gt, Gt, Gt Grandfather.

Do you have anything further back on the Oags than that ? I can tell you I've since found at least one more generation of Farquhars :o)

Tricia
22-Nov-01, 14:39
On 2001-11-20 21:00, TSF wrote:

I have an Alaxander Oag circa 1736 died c1804 married Elizabeth Farquhar. They had a son James, born 1776 married Ann Campbell 1800

died 1855 buried Thrumster.

I have some links to Farquhar but would be interested if you have further info on the Campbell line as well.

Anonymous
22-Nov-01, 16:05
Tricia, I have a copy of the tree so far on word, would you like me to mail you a copy?

As for the Farquhars anything you can tell me would be helpful

Kath

Tricia
26-Nov-01, 13:43
Yes. That would be great. I will also send you what I have.

Anonymous
22-Jan-02, 20:33
This line stems , I believe from George Oag born in Skye abt 1715 . My grand daughter Aimee is his 7 x grt grand daughter .The line has a Sarclet presence . Happy to pass on my details - e mail on CaledonC@aol.com.

Col in Crieff

dpw39
13-Jan-03, 00:06
Some Farquhar's from Guiselittle 1820's (David a farmer).

David Adams
14-Jan-03, 21:41
Hi
I have a James Farquhar, married Wick 1839. He then has a son Donald and a grandson James. Do any of your earlier Farquhar's tie into this.

David

aussie
22-Jan-03, 14:57
Does anyone have any Oags or Farquhars in their tree?

Specifically looking for Alexander Oag born about 1736 in Wick, married Elspeth Farquhar about 1758, daughter of William Farquhar and Margaret Bruce.

I believe William was born in 1702 son of Donald Farquhar and Margaret Rose but that isn't certain yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kath.heywood on 30-Nov-2001 6:26pm ]</font>

I've just discovered that Hugh Oag (born about 1819), grandson of Alexander Oag and Elspeth Farqhar through their son Alexander, married my gt. gt. grand aunt Margaret Sutherland. I have been tracing my gt. gt. grandfather John Sutherland and have just come across this connection to his sister. I've obtained the information on the Oag family from the LDS pedigree resource CD no. 2 submitted to them by Valerie Oag - I know this is all a very distant connection, not being my direct line, but if anyone if interested please contact.
Erica
Sydney Australia :)

Tricia
22-Jan-03, 19:34
Hi Erica
Just posting this for info to add to yours
Daughter of Hugh and Margaret Sutherland
Louisa married Angus More(Moir) relaion in my line of MORE.

Name: Angus More, 2C3R
----------------------------------------
Birth: c 1847
Father: Donald More
Mother: Margaret Malcolm
Marriage: 20 8 1872 Thrumster Caithness Scotland
Spouse: Louisa Oag
Birth: 4 2 1848 Wick
Death: Australia
Father: Hugh Oag
Mother: Margaret Sutherland

Notes for Angus More
emigrated to Australia 1878 ... had 3 children b in Scotland and more in Australia

I believe that Margaret Sutherland's parents were John Sutherland and Louisa Thompson. I have some Sutherlands in my line. Have you dates for John.

Regards
Tricia

aussie
23-Jan-03, 04:50
Hi Erica
Just posting this for info to add to yours
Daughter of Hugh and Margaret Sutherland
Louisa married Angus More(Moir) relaion in my line of MORE.
.............<snip>

I believe that Margaret Sutherland's parents were John Sutherland and Louisa Thompson. I have some Sutherlands in my line. Have you dates for John.

Regards
Tricia

Hi Tricia,
thanks for this information, Louisa and Angus were also included in the CD with their children:

1 Angus Moir b: Abt. 1847 d: in Australia
+Louisa Oag b: 4 February 1848 in Wick Parish, Caithness, Scotland
d: in Australia
...... 2 Agnes Margaret Sutherland Moir b: in Australia
.......... +James Oag b: 16 March 1876 in Chelsea, Middlesex, ENG
d: 24 December 1919 in Condong, NSW, Australia
(this James Oag also goes back to Alexander Oag and Elspeth Farquhar)
............... 3 Joyce Oag
................... +Ronald Walker
........................ 4 Nerida Walker
............................ +Peter Rock
........................ 4 Roslyn Walker
............... 3 Donald Mcleod Oag
................... +Margaret Bryson
........................ 4 Jean Oag
...... 2 Donald Moir
...... 2 Louise Moir
...... 2 Frank Moir
...... 2 Hugh Moir
...... 2 Lizzy Moir
...... 2 Christine Moir
...... 2 Jessie Moir
...... 2 Linda Moir

there were no sources quoted for the names but this note was included:

"Euphemia Oag (wife of Peter) paid a deposit on 6 Dec 1878 to sponser Angus and Louisa and their three children in Australia.
On 27 Jan 1881, Angus paid a deposit to sponser Hugh and Mary Jane (nee Trotter) Oag [his brother-in-law and his wife] from Durham"

I intend to go through the NSW registry entries as time allows to get reference nos. for the Aus. births where possible.

I've still to order the register entry for Margaret Sutherland from the LDS as I've only recently discovered her existence, she didn't appear in the IGI with the other children.
John Sutherland and Louisa Thomson were married 12 January 1811 at Wick and had nine children that I know of.

I haven't been able to locate Louisa's parents yet but I believe John Sutherland's parents were John Sutherland and Christian Bain married 2 December 1784 at Wick - something to be said for Scottish naming customs, :) these Sutherlands were all from Killimster which I am told is a small area about 8 kms from Wick.
Who are your Sutherlands?

cheers
Erica

Tricia
26-Jan-03, 18:25
Erica
I have replied to your email address. We had corresponded before on another query.
Hope I used the correct one - perhaps you are not using it now. Let me know if you received it.
Tricia

Junie
18-Jul-03, 20:59
Hi

I am an oag too. My family have lived in a house in Thrumster for 120 years and I would like to try and trace my family tree. Can you help?

Thanks

June :D

elaine j
19-Jul-03, 00:12
Hi
Someone gave me a copy of Val Oag's work some time ago and I would just like to make a correction about my 2xgg mother Janet Oag, born 1811 d.o. Alexander Oag and Margaret Sutherland ( no 52 on Val's list )

Just for the record Janet died 3.4.1886, not in 1881. ( she married Francis Sinclair 1832 and of their children only my gg father James Sinclair b. 1834 had descendants )

Also does anyone know what the scource is to prove that Alexander Oag ( No 2 on list )was b~1740 in Latheron and was the son of George Oag b~1715 Skye? I have the death cert of his son Alexander ( my 3xgg father )13.1.1858 giving Alexander and Elspeth Farquhar as his parents but no one seems to know where the conection back to Skye comes from.

emcoag
09-Mar-04, 00:13
Hi
Someone gave me a copy of Val Oag's work some time ago and I would just like to make a correction about my 2xgg mother Janet Oag, born 1811 d.o. Alexander Oag and Margaret Sutherland ( no 52 on Val's list )

Just for the record Janet died 3.4.1886, not in 1881. ( she married Francis Sinclair 1832 and of their children only my gg father James Sinclair b. 1834 had descendants )

Also does anyone know what the scource is to prove that Alexander Oag ( No 2 on list )was b~1740 in Latheron and was the son of George Oag b~1715 Skye? I have the death cert of his son Alexander ( my 3xgg father )13.1.1858 giving Alexander and Elspeth Farquhar as his parents but no one seems to know where the conection back to Skye comes from.

Elaine,

Thanks for the correction regarding Janet's death. I have a photo of their gravestone and it was not the easiest to read.

My g.grandfather, James Oag, wrote a letter to his eldest son James relating the familiy tree as he was contemplating marrying his second cousin bringing together Oags and Sutherlands and he was worried about consanguinity. In the letter (which seems to have done the rounds in Aus) he listed all the family that he remembered and "the story" that the family originated from Skye. Unfortunately I think that this may be unlikely as I can find no hint of the family name in Skye in any permutation. As there is a sea link with Aberdeen I suspect that the family may have come that way as there is a very strong enclave of Oggs there but who knows..?
The name was present, in some form or other back into the late 1600's (Thurso parish) and may well have been there well before that. Like the name Young in England (Og is young in gaelic) it was attributed to people who were "young", "younger" so it may not originally have been a family name. You can also find a permutation of the name in Ireland (Oig & Oge).
I know that this does not help but does explain a few things. BUT if you do find out any connection to Skye do let me know>

Regards,

Val Oag

emcoag
15-Apr-04, 12:03
Hi

I am an oag too. My family have lived in a house in Thrumster for 120 years and I would like to try and trace my family tree. Can you help?

Thanks

June :D

June,

If you were to give the details that you know, back to your grandparents at least, I'll look them up in my Oag database.

Regards,

Val Oag

Ciocia Laura
20-Feb-05, 03:16
Here to add my peashooter to the fleet. :lol: My grandmother was Helen OAG, daughter of William OAG (son of John OAG and Isabella BREMNER) and Helen Murray TAYLOR (daughter of Jemima TAYLOR). One brother to William was John "Bonnie Johnnie" OAG who died in WWI and is remembered in the Caithness Roll of Honour.
My greatgrandparents came to Canada in 1920 and my ggrandfather died 20 Dec. 1920. (www.cwgc.org) Their children were Isabella Bremner OAG, John OAG, Cathleen McKAY OAG, Helen Murray OAG and William Cecil Rice OAG.
Laura

Georgina
01-Dec-05, 06:18
I have Henrietta Oag daughter of Alexander Oag and Eliz Farquhar. She married David Steven in 1792 Wick.
I am another Aussie.
Georgina

marionq
04-Dec-05, 16:55
"Specifically looking for Alexander Oag born about 1736 in Wick, married Elspeth Farquhar about 1758, daughter of William Farquhar and Margaret Bruce.

I believe William was born in 1702 son of Donald Farquhar and Margaret Rose but that isn't certain yet."

Re the above: does anyone with Oag or Ogg records know if Alexander and Elspeth had a daughter Elspeth Ogg married to Francis Sinclair and producing Henrietta Sinclair in 1779. The details from my tree seem to fit but I don't have the certificated proof.

Thanks