PDA

View Full Version : Missing SP OPR birth records for Wick (Sarclet) ???

Bob
29-Sep-10, 06:41
This post is a take out from my discussion of three generations of James Donaldson found here: forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=117948

Q: Is it know that SP OPR birth records are missing for Wick, specifically Sarclet, in the period late 1820s - to mid 1830s?

Of the five children shown in the family unit of James Donaldson / Isbel D (Mowat) at Census 1841 (043/00 016/00 021), only birth visible on SP is that of Elis in 1820 (043/ 0040 0015).
Birth for Ann; Isac (sic); James and Andrew are not seen.

Is this birth information not present on SP, or, is it I'm not clever enough with my searching?

For completeness, following C41: -
Fate (marriage / death) for Ann, James and Andrew are seen.

Elis is currently lost following C51.

Nothing is seen for Isac.

Thnx in anticipation.

Oddquine
29-Sep-10, 10:56
This post is a take out from my discussion of three generations of James Donaldson found here: forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=117948

Q: Is it know that SP OPR birth records are missing for Wick, specifically Sarclet, in the period late 1820s - to mid 1830s?

Of the five children shown in the family unit of James Donaldson / Isbel D (Mowat) at Census 1841 (043/00 016/00 021), only birth visible on SP is that of Elis in 1820 (043/ 0040 0015).
Birth for Ann; Isac (sic); James and Andrew are not seen.

Is this birth information not present on SP, or, is it I'm not clever enough with my searching?

For completeness, following C41: -
Fate (marriage / death) for Ann, James and Andrew are seen.

Elis is currently lost following C51.

Nothing is seen for Isac.

Thnx in anticipation.

Could well be missing records because of destruction/damage/illegibility (or just a forgetful minister)........but it could just as much have been that they couldn't afford to have their children baptised at the time of their birth.

That is why you can sometimes get a few children of varying ages baptised at the same time, because that is the first time that the family had the wherewithal to get it done.

And, of course, you have to bear in mind that the OPRs are only those of the Established Church of Scotland and do not include those of other religious denominations.