PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft!

sjwahwah
24-Jul-06, 12:03
recieved my bank of scotland visa card statement this morning. says I made a balance transfer by post when I was away in america a few weeks ago and it's now maxed out! I phoned them and they said I transferred a balance from my barclay card. (which I do not have.) hope this is sorted out by tomorrow.. I'm really angry as I have zero debt. But, it has always really annoyed me that everytime the Bank of Scotland send you a statement they always send a balance transfer form with it.. which gets ripped up and put in the recycle bin but, looks like someone nabbed it.

Ever happen to anyone? first time for me!

Ricco
24-Jul-06, 14:55
Ah, never throw... always burn or shred. We always burn receipts and shred anything that has any numbers or personal details on. You won't believe what some people will get up to these days. Always keep and burn your petrol receipts as well.

footie chick
24-Jul-06, 22:41
Always keep and burn your petrol receipts as well.

Why? :confused

Fran
25-Jul-06, 01:27
so that no one can get your debit/credit card numbers from them. i always shred mine, and my bank and credit card statements or personal papers.

Ricco
25-Jul-06, 09:40
Why? :confused

'cos part of your number is on it. Also, some older machines still print the whole number.

Buttercup
25-Jul-06, 09:44
If you soak these receipts in warm water the ink disappears, you can then just dispose of the paper.

footie chick
25-Jul-06, 10:07
'cos part of your number is on it. Also, some older machines still print the whole number.

wasn't thinking I always pay for petrol with a cheque:o

Ricco
25-Jul-06, 11:18
If you soak these receipts in warm water the ink disappears, you can then just dispose of the paper.

Good point - I shall do that in future ,cos buring them is just adding to the pollution problem. Your way means that they can be composted.:Razz

beetlecrusher
25-Jul-06, 12:55
Something similar happened to me... visa statement showed a transaction to an unknown company for around $400. Hubby looked up the company on the internet and it was someone dealing in ivory ornaments and the like. To cut a long story ... contacted visa who fortunately refunded the money but it was a shock and we've been very careful with receipts following that incident.

sjwahwah
25-Jul-06, 13:11
just got off the phone... they've sent the bank transfer back to whereever it came from and I finally got the account cancelled as it was at zero anyways previous to this. i think it's just time to get rid of all of them full stop!