PDA

View Full Version : what "foreign bodies" have you found in your food?

annemarie482
28-Sep-10, 14:49
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100928/tod-bread-maker-fined-over-dead-mouse-in-870a197.html

seen this story this morning.
pretty gross really!

got me thinking, you read quite a bit about this kind of thing.

i've found plastic in ready meals but thats all really.

what foreign bodies have you found in your food?

Duncansby
28-Sep-10, 14:56
Oh gross! The worst thing I ever found in food - was a huge piece of glass when I was tucking into a baked tattie! This was from a, until then favourite cafe of mine in Edinburgh. I didn't actually discover it until I'd stuck it in my gob! Fortunately, it didn't stick in my gob! :lol:

joxville
28-Sep-10, 15:43
I was on a course a once where a finger buffet was provided at lunchtime; I was just about to finish a sandwich and noticed half of a spider hanging out where I had previously bitten, you can guess where the other half was. :eek:

I just removed said other half and finished the sandwich, these things happen.

joxville
28-Sep-10, 15:44
Oh gross! The worst thing I ever found in food - was a huge piece of glass when I was tucking into a baked tattie! This was from a, until then favourite cafe of mine in Edinburgh. I didn't actually discover it until I'd stuck it in my gob! Fortunately, it didn't stick in my gob! :lol:

Was the glass inside the tattie? Is it possible the tattie grew around it?

poppett
28-Sep-10, 15:57
Plumbers tape amongst fried onions in a cafe in Southport in the 1980`s. Thought I was going to choke to death and the cafe owner was only interested in being paid before he would let my (then) partner follow me outside where I had gone for fresh air before collapsing in the street. We still managed to see Ken Dodd at the floral hall, but remember there was some stramash about me not being allowed a cup of crushed ice into the auditorium with me, the only thing that stopped me coughing and retching. The following day the environmental health department paid the cafe a visit and it was closed down................ divine retribution ??

transit
28-Sep-10, 15:59
in side a cake from the cliff bakery yuk ill never go back

changilass
28-Sep-10, 16:02
Having 'done' the bridge in Sydney we had a place recommended on food and the fact that it was one for the few places that did pints rather than half litres.

We were all tucking into our pizzas when one of the group screamed, she had found maggots on hers.

Hubby tried desperately to shovel his crocodile pizza down his throat whilst the waitress took all our food away.

Manager tried it on, insulting us that we had planted them but eventually was told to be on our way with no fee for either food or drink, but really .... yeuk.

Duncansby
28-Sep-10, 16:13
Was the glass inside the tattie? Is it possible the tattie grew around it?

No, I think it was in the usually very tasty home made coleslaw and looked like a chunk from a highball glass.

onecalledk
28-Sep-10, 16:54
was in a hotel in Huntly, top left hand corner of the square as you look at it ...... ordered food, 4 of us all tucked in until one of the girls noticed something crawling out the salad. A little beetle...... we carried on albeit a bit tentatively thinking ok it could have worked its way onto the plate .... until the girl next to me found one on her plate as well, out of the salad....

Called the waitress over, all 15yrs of her and apologised for putting her on the spot but there were beetles in the salad. She ran off to the kitchen after standing watching said beetles for a few moments. Came back to tell us all the salad came in bags and it hadnt come from the kitchen. We stood up at that point and said we were leaving ...... Bagged salad is irradiated so no little beasties come from there..... hate to think the state of the kitchens .......

Was always advised to look at the carpets of cafes/hotels, if the carpets are dodgy and dirty then the kitchen will be worse ....

K

unicorn
28-Sep-10, 17:48
Strangely mine was also in a Hovis loaf, it was a used jay cloth and was right through the loaf neatly sliced too :eek: I returned it to the co op and did get a call with an apology from Hovis but that was it, I wished I had actually taken it to the environmental health in hindsight.

John Little
28-Sep-10, 18:01
A mouse.

It was when I was a kid and the mouse was in the middle of a sliced Mothers' Pride loaf. The mouse was neatly sliced from tail to nose.

My mother just chucked it out.

Today she'd have sued - I think I ate the tip of the tail......

newpark
28-Sep-10, 18:05
I got a tooth once in my Taco from Taco Bell.
I also found a pill in an ice cream sundae don't know what the pill was for and neither did anyone in the cafe.

jac1791
28-Sep-10, 18:10
I was eating a Macarroni pie from a local bakers one day when I noticed a blue bottle in the middle. and not that long ago my daughter, who is allergic to eggs found a bit of egg shell about the size of a 50p in a cup cake bought in a local cafe, and the girl behind the counter said " oh what do you want me to do about it" needless to say we have not been back!!!

joxville
28-Sep-10, 18:25
A mouse.

It was when I was a kid and the mouse was in the middle of a sliced Mothers' Pride loaf. The mouse was neatly sliced from tail to nose.

My mother just chucked it out.

Today she'd have sued - I think I ate the tip of the tail......

That reminds me of a friends mother who found a mouse in a tin of Heinz soup, she sent it back to them and was given a compensation cheque of £100. This was back in the mid-70's, I wonder how much that would be worth now.

wickscorrie
28-Sep-10, 18:28
a beetle in a tub of fred rice from one of the local establishments a few years ago

teddybear1873
28-Sep-10, 18:45
I had snotters in my food at one time...Had a terrible cold though.

2little2late
28-Sep-10, 19:29
I was in the Australian jungle one day and found a slice of bread in my bush tucker. [lol] [lol]

Thumper
28-Sep-10, 20:04
My Mum got a slug in her cabbage once,nearly killed my dad for not washing it properly too [lol] x

Geo
28-Sep-10, 20:22
A piece of twig inside the Lidl's Snicker copy.

A long hair inside a Double Decker

Dad found a slug in a jar of jam.

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-10, 20:41
It was normal procedure on a Saturday after playing rugby to get tanked up with beer and finish the evening off with a curry.:Razz

My eldest son (who was a bit of a lightweight at boozing) usually fell assleep before the meal turned up, and on one occation fell asleep face down in his meal.:eek:

It was to much applause of fellow diners when we called over a member of staff and said,"excuse me waiter, there's a rugby player in my curry".:lol:

I think I may have a photo of the event somewhere.lol

Tubthumper
28-Sep-10, 20:48
A cockroach in my Sugar Puffs. Still living. I was halfway through the plate by the time I noticed it. It looked sad, which made me suspect I'd already scoffed its family & friends.

Always been nervous of that particular cereal since then.

bekisman
28-Sep-10, 21:17
Many years ago I used to enjoy Bilberries in Syrup by PEK. I would open the jar and tip them in a bowl, put some squirty cream on top, turn down the light, sit in the armchair and watch tv whilst I ate.. nearly finished, when I felt a bit of a crunchy, 'stalk' or something. "Put the light on dear" I asked, and there on my spoon was half of a very large stag beetle. A quick trot to the loo and a rinse with a glass of water to capture the remains - trying not to be sick..
Anyway took it back to the shop, they sent it off and a very nice letter came back to apologise for this unfortunate incident, but it was quite safe as the beetle had been sterilised during the cooking process!.. along with a postal order for a couple of quid.

George Brims
28-Sep-10, 21:35
Bagged salad is irradiated so no little beasties come from there.
When did that start happening? I thought consumer resistance had eliminated this idea of irradiating food to make it "safer".

George Brims
28-Sep-10, 21:58
Poor mouse! I worked a couple of summers as a student at the big bakery that's no longer in Inverness. I heard of a mouse coming back like that one, sliced along with the bread, but that one was dead centre in the middle of the slices! I worked on a bread slicing machine, which did the old fashioned Scottish loaf and wrapped it in wax paper. One afternoon there was a squabble over who nicked whose pencil from the clipboards we used to note down throughput. We got that back, thanks to a lady who brought it into the shop in Inverness. It had fallen between the unsliced bread as it went into the machine and got pressed into one loaf. Not only was the pencil in neat little slices (oh for a digital camera back then!) but the slices had a big black streak across them as the blades got wiped clean. As the lady pointed out, the streak was still pretty wide at the trailing side so the next loaf or two probably got it too, without the pencil bits to explain it.
As for things I've got myself - a whole cleaning cloth in a tin of beef stew. That got me a coupon for... more beef stew.

kwbrown111
28-Sep-10, 22:09
I once got a beetle in my coffee at home must have been in jar of Kenco and i never noticed

Geo
28-Sep-10, 22:38
When did that start happening? I thought consumer resistance had eliminated this idea of irradiating food to make it "safer".

According to the Food Standards Agency only herbs, spices or vegetable seasonings are allowed to be irradiated in the UK and they have to be labelled as such.

Lavenderblue2
28-Sep-10, 22:54
Last year I found a ginger, pubic or beard hair baked into the top of a Mr Kipling mince pie. I took photos then sent the whole box back - they sent me tokens to the value of £3.00 - I wish I'd sent the mince pies to the Food Standards Agency. [evil]

scorrie
29-Sep-10, 00:03
Last year I found a ginger, pubic or beard hair baked into the top of a Mr Kipling mince pie.

I would have reported the matter to The Director of Pubic Prosecutions ;)

Kevin Milkins
29-Sep-10, 00:22
I would have reported the matter to The Director of Pubic Prosecutions ;)

I have to agree with scorrie, if you kept the evidence you would have them by the short and curley's.:eek:

Aaldtimer
29-Sep-10, 03:25
I remember one night in Singapore, in a mate's house, there was a few of us shooting the breeze. The Satay man come round on his motorbike combi-cooker. The host of the house went out and bought some, and we were sitting around eating the skewers of lamb cooked local wise. I picked one up and noticed there was a beetle fried in with the lamb. I put it back on the plate, but didn't say anything. Later I noticed that all the Satay skewers had been eaten...I still didn't say anything though...

Way back in '67 at a train station, Doncaster I think, I bought a pork pie to accompany my pint, took a bite, quite enjoyed it, but when I went to take the secound bite noticed a film of green mould on top of the meat in the pie!
Managed to stop myself couking over that, complained to the staff, only to be offered a free pie as consolation...erm, don't think so!:eek:

Ah, the good old days!:confused

poppett
29-Sep-10, 11:59
GB`s tale about the plain loaf reminded me of a blackbird my granny found in a plain loaf from the Milanda bakery in Glasgow.

A former neighbour worked in the same bakery as GB and she was the pancake turner. Prod with finger first to check texture, then flip it over. She had the filthiest hands I have ever seen in my life, more suited to tattie howking than prodding pancakes

The worst, by far, minging thing I have ever encounterred was a mobile chip shop which roamed round Inverness in the 1970`s. The fish fryer used to spit into the fat (proper dripping, not veggie oil as is used now) to test the temperature. On being asked about the hygiene issues she remarked that the fat was so hot it would kill any germs instantly.

billmoseley
30-Sep-10, 15:01
don't know if this counts but early one morning when i had gone to milk the cows i opened the milk tank as i did every morning to find a young rat swimming around in the milk:eek:

Tubthumper
30-Sep-10, 15:54
don't know if this counts but early one morning when i had gone to milk the cows i opened the milk tank as i did every morning to find a young rat swimming around in the milk:eek:
...couldn't believe what was going past your eyes...

:roll: Oh dear

George Brims
30-Sep-10, 20:30
Oh my that reminds me of the mouse in the cream. When I was young I lived on a farm and we had just the one milking cow for our own use. There was a wee dairy on the end of the house and in there was a milk separator. Whole milk went in jugs, then the rest was separated with cream going in a big enamel bucket to be churned for butter and the skimmed milk back to the byre to be given to calves. The cream would be allowed to build up over several days until there was enough in the bucket for a batch of butter. One morning my mum found a mouse drowned in it. After some debate, I was sent to get the biggest ladle from the kitchen and a big dollop of cream, with the mouse in the centre, was scooped out and discarded. I took my toast dry for a couple of weeks!

Dadie
30-Sep-10, 21:02
Rumour was it there was a dead mouse unfound for a while...in the tea urn the police had at dounreay!:eek:
I have found a deep fried crispy beetle in a kids meal at wetherspoons.
A blue plaster (cant remember where from) but it was in curry.
1/2 a wormy maggot in an apple
1/2 a slug in salad
various hairs....
I check my food before eating out now...

Blarney
30-Sep-10, 21:28
I found the biggest, hairiest, juiciest caterpillar I have ever seen in a pot of chives from Tesco.....after I had chopped a handful up and added to my egg rolls :eek:

linedancer1
30-Sep-10, 22:47
My father-in-law got broken glass in garlic bread from Wick Tesco's 2 weeks ago, don't know what the outcome was though!!!!

sassylass
01-Oct-10, 01:29
Years ago, my brother in law offered to make me some toast. He popped bread into the toaster and within seconds there was a horrible screech. Leaving a trail of smoke behind him, a mouse shot straight up in the air, made a 720 degree midair turn, bounced off the curtain and disappeared behind the breadbox. I lost my appetite.

Valerie Campbell
01-Oct-10, 14:00
Found a piece of hard plastic in a Frey Bentos pie. Put me off them for life. Yuk!

Duncansby
01-Oct-10, 14:47
Oh Sassylass that's reminds me of one of my past student flats where we had a particularily bad mouse problem one back end. It's never a good thing to see a mousey sticking it's head out of the toaster and looking at you when your about to have breakfast! But unfortunately my Mam, who is terrified of mice, was down visiting me that week and couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her go into the kitchen by herself. I used to make a racket before entering as warning for the mice to make themselves scarce!

dietcokegirl
02-Oct-10, 15:17
My partner opened a jar of cockles and found a fag end floating on the top. Something like that would put me off for life - he still eats them all the time! He said he thought about just flicking the fag end away and tucking in, but then thought better of it. He must have a stomach of steel - i was boking just hearing the story!

2boyz1girl
07-Oct-10, 23:11
on holiday years ago I was in a resturaunt in New Jersey and when my dinner arrived it had rice with it and out the corner of my eye i noticed something move, totally freaked when i seen it was a maggot!! If that wasna bad enough one wriggled of my plate and started wobbling along the table, as I freaked at the waitress and the whole place looked at me i noticed she had maggots on her apron. Was a posh place aswell near died. Dominos Pizza that night, yuk forgot all about this until reading this forum.
Bit into an apple and discovered a worm too. Lovely.!

2boyz1girl
07-Oct-10, 23:35
oh forgot about this until my hubby reminded me, one time he left some mash on his dinner plate and when i was doing the dishes rather than bin them i thought i'll just pick at this whilst washing away, the last mouthful revealed all. He had been picking his toenails and put them on his plate. Yip, i was munching on them. Seriously I sreamed you dirty so and so and he was like well that'll teach you not to eat leftovers. Major mingn......abso psml thinking about it now.lol:lol:
They make fine tooth picks!!!!!![lol]