PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:00
My throat is really sore, has anyone got any quick fixes or even just ideas to sooth it a bitty, thanks in advance.
Changi.

Not looking for medical intervention, just some old fashioned ideas

George Brims
27-Sep-10, 23:03
Gargle with Old Pulteney - but don't spit it out!

golach
27-Sep-10, 23:04
Gargle with a salt solution or with soluble asprin, then a beeg hot sweet toddie , and off to a warm bed.

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:05
That would be fine for hubby, George but I feel sick just at the smell of the stuff.

Having said that if it gets much worse I may take the risk, just think being sick would make my throat even worse.

Thanks for the advice though.

Kodiak
27-Sep-10, 23:06
I do not know if you have a car, but if you do you could drive through to Tesco in Wick for they are open till Midnight. There you would be able to buy something to sooth a sore throat.

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 23:06
warm whiskey with hot lemon and honey with a couple of paracetamol to wash it all down.......

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:07
Will try the salt Gol as I don't have owt soluble in the house, but vaguely remember that working once afore.

Thanks

Liz
27-Sep-10, 23:13
Do you have any tea tree oil? If so put a few drops in water and gargle with this.

I swear by Colloidal Silver and always spray it into my throat at the first sign of an infection.

Golach's suggestions of salt or soluble aspirin is good as well.

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:16
Never heard of that one Liz where do you get the colloidal silver from?

Only thing tea tree in the house is shampoo and don't think gargling with that would help lol, but will certainly see about that one.

Thanks

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:16
Thanks Dadie but cannae stand the stuff.

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 23:19
sod the whiskey and just do the honey and lemon..honey soothes and the lemon gives much needed vit c

golach
27-Sep-10, 23:20
Changi try this, it may not help, but you would feel good after.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/popular-cuisines/british/hot-buttered-rum-07-11-02_p_1.html

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:23
That sounds yummy, but 5 hours????:eek:

changilass
27-Sep-10, 23:24
Dadie the only bit I like is the lemon lol, can I add it to syrup instead of honey and add voddie or have I just wrecked the whole recipe lol:lol:

golach
27-Sep-10, 23:26
That sounds yummy, but 5 hours????:eek:

Drat never noticed that
:(

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 23:29
try and see if nothing else you have taken in liquids!

golach
27-Sep-10, 23:39
Try this one Changilass. The title says it all [lol]

http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bills-hot-rum-toddy-269369

Liz
27-Sep-10, 23:40
Never heard of that one Liz where do you get the colloidal silver from?

Only thing tea tree in the house is shampoo and don't think gargling with that would help lol, but will certainly see about that one.

Thanks

Ha ha, no I don't think Tea Tree shampoo would be a good idea unless you have dandruff in your throat!

I get my Colloidal Silver from www.ripley-wrinkles.com (http://www.ripley-wrinkles.com) I actually buy the largest size as it is more economical and I use it every day. You can even spray it on plants.
If you can get someone to collect it I could give you some to try?

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 23:46
please use the honey..and the painkillers..everything else can be mixed and matched...honey is v.soothing...vit c no matter hgow you get it boosts your immuity..painkillers do whats on the packet!
Alcohol...
is an antiseptic...or sedative...or whatever ..depending how much is used..:mad:

sassylass
28-Sep-10, 00:52
Honey and lemon is good, but a warm saltwater gargle is better. I had sore throat Friday, gargled and sore throat gone by Saturday, and sniffles almost gone today.

Margaret M.
28-Sep-10, 03:55
Gargle/swallow apple cider vinegar -- you can dilute it in water but the stronger it is the better.

EDDIE
28-Sep-10, 07:26
suck a sweety

Mrs Bucket
28-Sep-10, 09:04
I have used all Golachs remidies but have also gargled with TCP

ducati
28-Sep-10, 09:43
Drive to Portgower at dusk and cough to attract the attention of the denizens.

Your throat will never bother you again :eek:

poppett
28-Sep-10, 10:57
Crisps..............painful, but they strip the infection as they go down. Especially good for tonsillitis.

On the toddy front, rum honey and lemon with soluble aspirin.

Liz
28-Sep-10, 12:47
Gargle/swallow apple cider vinegar -- you can dilute it in water but the stronger it is the better.

Oh yes I forgot about apple cider vinegar. That does work!:D

changilass
28-Sep-10, 14:31
Its feelling a bitty better just now so hopefully having mixed some of the remidies it will go away completely.

Family thinks its hilarious when I try to shout and all that comes out is a squeek, I am perfecting the art of dirty looks, not that it needed much work lol

Thank you very much everyone, very much appreciated.

Ricco
29-Sep-10, 11:01
Hallo, Changi.

Couple of aspirin to ease the pain. Then mix up a couple of tablespoons of nice honey with some lemon juice, warm it up and sup it down slowly. The lemon is astringent and honey has anti-bacterial properties. Since you have a virus they won't clear it up but they will ease your throat.

Good luck, lass. Hope you feel better soon. :D

My throat is really sore, has anyone got any quick fixes or even just ideas to sooth it a bitty, thanks in advance.
Changi.

Not looking for medical intervention, just some old fashioned ideas

Ricco
29-Sep-10, 11:02
That's true. My mother always got us to eat dry toast - nowt on it.

Crisps..............painful, but they strip the infection as they go down. Especially good for tonsillitis.

On the toddy front, rum honey and lemon with soluble aspirin.