PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Restaurants

mccaugm
23-Jul-06, 23:05
So where is the best restaurant locally for vegetarian food.

I have tried the Ulbster Arms which was gorgeous - their goats cheese is to die for. Also the Commercial in Halkirk..their vegetable kebabs were fantastic. Wetherspoons Vegetable Chilli is yummm.

Anywhere else I could try?

luskentyre
23-Jul-06, 23:07
So where is the best restaurant locally for vegetarian food.

I have tried the Ulbster Arms which was gorgeous - their goats cheese is to die for. Also the Commercial in Halkirk..their vegetable kebabs were fantastic. Wetherspoons Vegetable Chilli is yummm.

Anywhere else I could try?

Interesting topic - I always dread going out for a meal, wondering what might be on offer. I have to say the Macaroni cheese in the Central is unbeatable!

Gleber2
23-Jul-06, 23:11
It's hard being a vegetarian up here but you should try being a vegan. I learned to cook as the only way to get a good vegan meal.

luskentyre
23-Jul-06, 23:14
It's hard being a vegetarian up here but you should try being a vegan. I learned to cook as the only way to get a good vegan meal.

A vegan in Caithness? I'm impressed!

Gleber2
23-Jul-06, 23:27
A vegan in Caithness? I'm impressed!

Actually there's quite a few of us. It's been 26 years for me although when I go out on the road I have to lower my standards or starve. It has been proposed that the next Orger get together be held at my place and I intend to demonstrate my animal free food if it is. Maybe I can feed you there.:)

Naefearjustbeer
23-Jul-06, 23:30
surely everywhere can serve up a plate of neeps and tatties ;) :lol:

luskentyre
23-Jul-06, 23:31
Actually there's quite a few of us. It's been 26 years for me although when I go out on the road I have to lower my standards or starve. It has been proposed that the next Orger get together be held at my place and I intend to demonstrate my animal free food if it is. Maybe I can feed you there.:)

Good for you. I imagine it must be kinda hard for you when you're out and about. I might just come along to sample your cooking!

sjwahwah
24-Jul-06, 00:03
i dig the whole vegan thang... but, cannae give up the jarlsberg for some reason. but, am veggie and occassionally the odd fresh fish. any strictly veggie restaurants tho?

Gleber2
24-Jul-06, 00:27
i dig the whole vegan thang... but, cannae give up the jarlsberg for some reason. but, am veggie and occassionally the odd fresh fish. any strictly veggie restaurants tho?

Your joking!!!!!

sjwahwah
24-Jul-06, 01:06
hhmmm.... cogs are turnin'... could be quite a little enterprise could it? :-)

mccaugm
24-Jul-06, 11:26

I would be delighted, I have never eaten "Vegan" before but will give anything a try once.

sjwahwah
24-Jul-06, 11:36
I do alot of cooking and have used alot of the vegan recipes off www.veganchef.com (http://www.veganchef.com) Her site is excellent!

Why no food section on the forum? lots of people from all over the world and Scotland to share good recipes.. vegan, veggie and otherwise.

Gleber2
24-Jul-06, 11:50
I do alot of cooking and have used alot of the vegan recipes off www.veganchef.com (http://www.veganchef.com) Her site is excellent!

Why no food section on the forum? lots of people from all over the world and Scotland to share good recipes.. vegan, veggie and otherwise.

Darn good idea. Speak to Godmin.

canuck
24-Jul-06, 12:49
Darn good idea. Speak to Godmin.

We tried to do recipes in the Fitness Club thread (February/March) but it wasn't a huge success. They probably got lost in all the chatter. A dedicated thread for recipes might work.

Ricco
24-Jul-06, 14:51
I would be delighted, I have never eaten "Vegan" before but will give anything a try once.

Good vegan food, done properly, is heavenly. The used to be a restaurant called Stones at Avebury, Wilts. but it was bought out by the National Trust and was never the same again.

stevep
27-Sep-07, 00:25
It's been sometime since this post. Are there any new places out there that offer vegetarian food?

evelyn
27-Sep-07, 10:41
No 1 at the Mackays hotel usually have a couple of veggie options....I would particularly recommend their vegetable souffle.
The Bistro in Thurso also have a good range of veggie options on their lunchtime menu.....and not just the usual baked tattie or omlette choices that most places offer.
Evelyn

mccaugm
27-Sep-07, 11:14
No 1 at the Mackays hotel usually have a couple of veggie options....I would particularly recommend their vegetable souffle.
The Bistro in Thurso also have a good range of veggie options on their lunchtime menu.....and not just the usual baked tattie or omlette choices that most places offer.
Evelyn

Was surprised to see my old thread back. I too would recommend the Bistro as I tried it recently...yummmm! Also the Comm in Halkirk is still good!

Don Quixote
27-Sep-07, 13:19

There is a food section http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=32243 Try this recipe it's good and it's veggie, although I eat anything.

George Brims
27-Sep-07, 19:58
A recipe section would be great, and the sooner the better. For the next two weeks I have to figure out how to feed our next batch of visitors. One is vegetarian, one has that thing I can't remember the name of where gluten is forbidden, and two are teenage (or nearly) girls. Actually the first one may be vegan. I am getting my information second-hand. The first two I can feed my "How many kinds of beans are in here exactly?" meat-free chili, but only a couple of times, and who knows how the teens will react to it. This is going to be fun.

Lolabelle
28-Sep-07, 08:04
There is a recipe section. Well there was last time I posted there.

laguna2
28-Sep-07, 08:21
Yep Lolabelle, recipe section has been up and running for ages ... and has some very good recipes in it too. :D