PDA

View Full Version : rewards

solastar
27-Sep-10, 09:11
omg just been watching the bbc news this morning, a new idea on how to make our nation healthier.....rewards for giving up smoking and losing weight!
Just who the hell makes these ideas up, i would like to know,someone in a very big shiny ivory tower,on another planet.

I myself are overweight,i go to a slimming club go swimming and eat a healthy diet to get those pounds off, i am committed to getting the weight off.

Now when i go into the supermarket to buy my weekly shop i look at the array of fresh produce, i could buy a nice red pepper for 80p each or i could buy a 2kg bag of potato to fry for 99p??
Then i wonder round to the meat counter, i could buy a nice pack of healthy chicken breast £4.99 or an all day breakfast pack with lorne sausage,black pudding etc for £1.99

Then on to the frozen dept, 5kg bag of frying chips £1.89 or a nice bag of healthier oven chips £2.59 for 1kg!
I guess by now you can see a trend.

Now with the credit crunch and all that, most people are pulling up braces when it comes to spending.

To produce a healthier race we should have healthier choices cheaper,and forget all these stupid rewards which will only go to the people who have no intention of contributing to society.

And its time these idiots who come up with these daft ideas earned the money they receive.

annemarie482
27-Sep-10, 09:16
totally agreed with you!
reward to stop smoking or eat healthier?! what a joke!!
how often would kids smoke to get their "reward" etc!
and why should they get a reward for stopping, and the rest of us nothing for being healthy in the first place!!
na...........really hope that doesn't catch on!!

Gronnuck
27-Sep-10, 16:56
If any grubbiment really wanted to make a difference they would put VAT on cream cakes, chocolate and sweets and take it off bicycles, all sports goods, exercise equipment and gym membership; simples*;)

Phill
27-Sep-10, 22:25
With an obesity time bomb ticking away surely as part of a wide range of measures incentivising weight loss may be a cost effective long term solution.

A couple of hundred quid now might stave of tens of thousands of pounds worth of healthcare in 10 - 20 years.

Yes the supermarkets and the retail industry need to change with how food is produced and marketed. Education needs to start at a very early age to teach kids healthy eating and healthy cooking.

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 22:29
grow your own...takes the weight of 2 ways ..through the hard graft planting and caring and then the eating|!
Costs less apparently as well!

changilass
27-Sep-10, 22:38
It only costs less if the beasties dinnae get to it afore you do, lost all my brassicas this year :(

Blarney
27-Sep-10, 22:39
I may be wrong but I think I heard that this proposed incentive scheme would only apply to England and Wales. Didn't they try something similar with smokers in Dundee a year or two ago? I wonder how the volunteers there fared and if they are still off the weed?

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 23:10
employ yer own pest control...my 2yo will hunt out and squish caterpillars with great delight...my 4 yo is not keen...will only touch them with the back of a spoon....:(

Ricco
29-Sep-10, 11:12
If I promise to give up working will the gov't pay me?? Oh, yeh - they do... its called the dole and they give it out to a number of undeserving skivvers. I am not including those honestly out of work - having been there myself I know that some claimants are genuine.

upolian
29-Sep-10, 11:41
If I promise to give up working will the gov't pay me?? Oh, yeh - they do... its called the dole and they give it out to a number of undeserving skivvers. I am not including those honestly out of work - having been there myself I know that some claimants are genuine.

Took the words out my mouth!

onecalledk
29-Sep-10, 11:53
why would the government want people to stop smoking when it rakes in millions in tax ? Why would they want people to lose weight when there is more profit in unhealthy, calorie dense, nutritionless food?

The government is about money and thats it. The supermarkets are about money, they dont care that their shoppers are overweight, in fact if they can get them to eat even more the supermarkets are laughing, more food = more profit.

Its perhaps time to wake up to how the world works. Just like the pharmaceutical industry has no intention of curing any illnes then the government will not stop people smoking and drinking because its too profitable. These "reward" schemes set people up for failure, the person who "cant" stop smoking then feels even worse about themselves and perhaps ends up smoking more .......

The original poster hit the nail on the head, it is more expensive to eat healthily from a supermarket. Never are there offers of buy one get one free on anything that isnt sweet or full of sugar. Its always cakes and buns that are on offer in good old tesco.....

If the government was seriously considering helping a nation that is getting more and more like america in weight every day then it would tackle at source, but that would mean a loss in £ss to a lot of big players......

The nations health is not even on the agenda, £ss are, and overweight smokers with a bad diet means £s for everyone concerned in the various industries. If we all got fit tomorrow and had good health then a lot of companies would go out of business.......

At the moment £s make the world go round, health is incidental ......

K

Phill
29-Sep-10, 12:18
Why would they want people to lose weight when there is more profit in unhealthy, calorie dense, nutritionless food? The gubberment don't get the profits from the garbage food. The gubberment (us)pick up the bill via the NHS. It's not just big peeps that get ill through shite food, thin people are just as at risk if they eat a crap diet.
I do agree that on the surface it appears more expensive to eat healthily but if families looked at what and when they were eating and planned a bit more it is possible to eat good food cheaply.

The supermarkets are about money, they dont care that their shoppers are overweight, in fact if they can get them to eat even more the supermarkets are laughing, more food = more profit. True, but why do we all seem to listen to what the supermarkets tell us and not professionals in the NHS and other areas that try and promote healthy eating?

The nations health is not even on the agenda, £ss are, and overweight smokers with a bad diet means £s for everyone concerned in the various industries. If we all got fit tomorrow and had good health then a lot of companies would go out of businessChange will take time, and retail markets will shift to get their profit.

People need to change their views on food.
I sent my boy to school with an apple for his snack, he came back saying 'why can't I have crisps like everyone else'!!!
The apple was cheaper than a bag of crisps.

The timebomb is ticking, look at what your feeding your family and think about it.