PDA

View Full Version : Oag's, Gunn's & Corners, Watten and Thrumster

Garnet
26-Sep-10, 14:06
Looking for connections from/to Oag's, Gunn's and Sinclairs from Watten to Oag's and Corners from Thrumster. so far only know some Corners came from Sarclett area with the others from Watten, sadly don't have first names. I believe some of the ones from Watten originaly came with the clearances. Any help would be apreciated, thanks in advance. :)

Tighsonas4
26-Sep-10, 20:25
hello garnet
dont know about the watten side but in thrumster[sarclet]a few gunns butonly mind one corner however as for oags theres so many you would need first names or more infmo as there is families galore of oags there
if i find a site will come back to you but am not much good at this game best of luck tony

Tighsonas4
27-Sep-10, 21:49
hello garnet
dont know about the watten side but in thrumster[sarclet]a few gunns butonly mind one corner however as for oags theres so many you would need first names or more infmo as there is families galore of oags there
if i find a site will come back to you but am not much good at this game best of luck tony
have sent you a pm tony

tiffers
01-Oct-10, 21:49
Interested in the name Corner as I have a Janet Corner married to Charles Keith dont have dates of bith for them but have their 4 children george b 1774 Alexander 1779, David 1766 Mary 1777 in wick Caithness.

Garnet
03-Oct-10, 13:09
Hi, tiffers that sounds great, are they connected to you and can you pm me where/how you found them. thanks in advance as thet say. :)

tiffers
03-Oct-10, 14:04
Have sent you a pm

Tricia
03-Oct-10, 17:13
Looking for connections from/to Oag's, Gunn's and Sinclairs from Watten to Oag's and Corners from Thrumster. so far only know some Corners came from Sarclett area with the others from Watten, sadly don't have first names. I believe some of the ones from Watten originaly came with the clearances. Any help would be apreciated, thanks in advance. :)

too many possibles here.
Any dates etc would be good.
eg
elspeth oag m francis sinclair 1774 Thrumster/Wick
henrietta ross oag m john sinclair 1888 - went to Australia 1909

andrew corner m henrietta oag - sarclet

Tricia
a MORE from Wick

tiffers
04-Oct-10, 11:13
Hi Tricia
I have a Isabella Swanson , daughter of Charles Swanson & Helen Bain who married a Malcolm Groat More in 1901 in Edinburgh. His parents being Robert Phin More & Catherine Miller More.
Are you connected in anyway with this More's :)

tiffers
04-Oct-10, 13:31
Sorry my mistake it should read Catherine Miller Groat

Tricia
04-Oct-10, 23:05
yes they are my MORE family.
Malcolm Groat More (died 1928) is a 2 cousin 3r.
Where do you relate.

tiffers
04-Oct-10, 23:29
Tricia
My husband is 1st cousin 2xremoved of Malcolm More's wife Isabella Swanson
Tiffers

Tricia
05-Oct-10, 21:10
Tricia
My husband is 1st cousin 2xremoved of Malcolm More's wife Isabella Swanson
Tiffers
I don't have much keyed in on Isabella's family at present except her parents and then of course lots on the MORE family.
That will be my task tomorrow :) any help welcomed :)

Tricia

Garnet
06-Oct-10, 01:42
:) Hi Tricia, thanks for that info, so far I've spent more time looking at what everyone else is doing and I'm well impressed, overawed actually. An awful lot of you have put so much work into your 'trees' that you're even helping mesmerised, not sure where to start, beginners like me, so it's off to the registrars/groat/cemetery etc armed with the info you, tiffers and toni gave me. Again thanks. A :confused Garnet.....:D.

tiffers
06-Oct-10, 08:38
Hi Garnet
there are a lot of corners on this site http://www.cursiter.com/txt-exe-files/Corner.txt (http://www.cursiter.com/txt-exe-files/Corner.txt)
good Luck with your research
Tiffers

Mamie_2
30-Nov-10, 16:57
Interested in the name Corner as I have a Janet Corner married to Charles Keith dont have dates of bith for them but have their 4 children george b 1774 Alexander 1779, David 1766 Mary 1777 in wick Caithness.

Margaret 1762
Charles 1769
John 1771
Elizabeth 1783 born Watten

spurtle
01-Dec-10, 18:47

I remember Willie Corner, who lived in the first house on the left at Sarclet as you enter the village. I think he must have been a repairer of clocks, because his house was always full of them.

Garnet
02-Dec-10, 02:32
Tiffers Mamie 2 and spurtle many thanks for your information, I have come accross Janet and Charles before (possibly in tiffers post) I also have a James Forbes -m- Margaret Commings who's dgtr Jane b 1834 Sarclet who in 1861-m-David Corner b 1833 Sarclet the son of Wm Corner-m-Helen More. no dates for them yet.

Sputle you say you remember a Willie Corner can you give a rough time span for this and was he an elderly person at that time? Clocks that's interesting, he would be well known then. Won't get to see any stones in this weather as a lot of Thrumster's are lying flat Thanks-you all again for your kindness and help. Garnet. :D

spurtle
18-Jan-11, 18:49
Willie would have been there until the late 60s. He was certainly an old man when I went there. I remember the district nurse being there, and he had a sort of box-bed which I seem to remember being in the middle of the room, so not a proper one, which was usually built into or against the wall. Goodeness, such a long time ago! Will ask someone else who knew him for you

Garnet
18-Jan-11, 19:52
Thank-you Spurtle, we/I think then that he may have been an uncle of our.....father...I think!!! I really must get off my rearend, but I'm a bit poorly (dramatist!) got this awful flu tho! Garnet.

Tricia
18-Jan-11, 21:03
Tiffers Mamie 2 and spurtle many thanks for your information, I have come accross Janet and Charles before (possibly in tiffers post) I also have a James Forbes -m- Margaret Commings who's dgtr Jane b 1834 Sarclet who in 1861-m-David Corner b 1833 Sarclet the son of Wm Corner-m-Helen More. no dates for them yet.

Sputle you say you remember a Willie Corner can you give a rough time span for this and was he an elderly person at that time? Clocks that's interesting, he would be well known then. Won't get to see any stones in this weather as a lot of Thrumster's are lying flat Thanks-you all again for your kindness and help. Garnet. :D

May help with some Corner family.
1901 in Sarclet
Name: David Corner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relationship: Head
Where born: Wick, Caithness
Registration Number: 43
Registration district: Wick
Civil Parish: Wick
County: Caithness
Address: Corbigoe No 4 (Old Hall)
ED: 12
Household schedule number: 58
Line: 17
Roll: CSSCT1901_12
Household Members: Name Age
David Corner 67 Head (Widower of Jane/Janet Forbes)
William Corner 28 son
Christina Corner 26 sons's wife ( This is Christina Janet Forbes MORE born 12 Mar 1875)
Christina R Corner 6 mon g'daug
David Corner 1 g'son
Jamesina Farquhar 16 gnd neice

Garnet
19-Jan-11, 02:20
Wow Tricia, thanks very, very much for that, does that mean I have it wrong with Helen More and Wm Corner or are they related...cousins possibly. Oh I've a long way to go I think, but thanks again. Garnet.

alexsm
19-Jan-11, 12:29
I have Oags and Corners in my Thrumster ancestry. My great Granny Was Alexandrina Oag (Lexie) born 1830 in Thrumster , daughter of James Oag and Elizabeth Sinclair. She married Alexander Sutherland, fisherman from Latheronwheel. My 3X Great grandmother was Barbara Davidson from Sarclet born c 1773. She died on 17 Feb 1857 and is buried in Thrumster cemetery. On her death cert her parents are given William Davidson and Mary Corner. I have no info on them. Barbara has a headstone in the cemetary. She was married to Wiiam Bain, weaver from Sarclet in 1797. I have heard that the Bains may have come from Watten.

Garnet
19-Jan-11, 15:40
Hi alexsm, so far I've had no mention of Bains, (however Watten does seem to figure in the equasion with Sinclairs and Corners), nor Davidson so it's all very interesting I've not been able to draw all information together so far especialy since I'm not very good at this, being I'ts my first venture into genealogy and I keep getting lost!! However I will visit Thrumster Cemetery as soon as I can and take more note of the names and connections, if any. I can only but thank you for this further information. Regards Garnet.

Peterd500
25-Jan-11, 17:47
Hi Garnet

I have Ann CORNER born 1794 Sarclet to Francis CORNER & Margrat OAG married 1817 George DOWNIE.

- son Francis DOWNIE married 1839 Isabella BREMNER daughter of John BREMNER & his second wife Henrietta SINCLAIR, daughter of Francis SINCLAIR & Elspeth OAG at Ulbster. I am confident that Francis must be the son of Donald SINCLAIR the sailor son of David SINCLAIR of Broynach because Donald the sailor's son Francis was at Ulbster. Donald the sailor moved to the Sarclet/Thrumster area and is reputedly buried at Thrumster (no headstone to be found). Henrietta's brother James SINCLAIR will be James SINCLAIR who married Catherine CRAIG and had children at Sarclet and Ulbster including son Francis 1811-1893 who married Janet Wemyss OAG. An obituary for the latter Francis is thus:

British Library - British Newspapers 1600-1900 - online database
Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 30 September 1893
DEATH OF ONE OF THE FAMOUS SINCLAIRS.-
One of the oldest and most respected fishermen in Wick has been removed by the death, at the age of 83, of Mr Francis SINCLAIR, Wellington Street. Mr SINCLAIR belonged to the Broynach branch of the Caithness SINCLAIRs, and granting the legitimacy of that branch to have been established, as Mr Thomas SINCLAIR, M.A., asserts it to have been, the deceased fisherman was not far off the direct line of succession to the Earldom. He was a very [worthy?] man, and for many years was an elder in the Free Church.

I have his wife Janet Wemyss OAG 1811-1886 as the daughter of Alexander OAG bap 1774 Sarclet & Margaret SUTHERLAND, Alexander being the son of Alexander OAG & Elspeth/Elizabeth FARQUHAR, a couple who apparently are ultimately responsible for many of the OAGs one comes across. eg Ann CORNER whom I first mentioned I think is supposed to be the daughter of Francis CORNER & Margaret OAG, daughter of Alexander OAG & Elspeth/Elizabeth FARQUHAR.

James OAG married Jane LYALL, LYALL being another hotbed of family associations in the area. James was the son of Alexander OAG (=Margaret SUTHERLAND), son of James, son of Alexander OAG & Elspeth/Elizabeth FARQUHAR. James & Jane's son Henry OAG married Elizabeth STEWART, daughter of William STEWART & Catherine LAING whom I mention below.

- daughter Ann DOWNIE married Francis BREMNER another child to John BREMNER & Henrietta SINCLAIR above.

- did a son George DOWNIE marry Ann OAG daughter of Alexander OAG & Margaret SUTHERLAND (not the same couple as above, i.e. there were two couples of the same names a genration apart)? - Alexander being the son of James OAG (=Ann CAMPBELL), son of Alexander OAG & Elspeth/Elizabeth FARQUHAR.

- daughter Elizabeth DOWNIE married Neil STEWART, son of William STEWART and his first wife Isabel MILLER. William STEWART's second wife was Catherine LAING daughter of James LAING & Sidney SINCLAIR whose greatgrandfather was Donald SINCLAIR the sailor whom I mention above.

Lots of Sarclet/Thrumster connections amongst that lot. The further you go the more confused you'll get because of the constant intermingling of family lines in the area but that's genealogy for you. Goo luck!

Peterd500

brandy
25-Jan-11, 22:04
have several corners and oags from thrumster in our family tree.. its on ancestry.co.uk username captainbeaker if you want to have a look

Garnet
25-Jan-11, 23:17
Hi peterd500, that is some information you sent me which I thank you for, you said I'd get 'cofused'....how right you are!!! I think I'll need t get a roll of wallpaper pin it up and write it all down to see if I can make sense of it, wish I'd listened to a lovely woman who knew who was who and could go back to about 1860's....could kick myself now, once again I thank-you peterd. May I ask what direction your heading in (if it's not too nosey) the same as me or a different direction???

Garnet
25-Jan-11, 23:20
Hi Brandy, thank-you for that link I'm off to try it and see how I get on...would be interested in your connection to them. G

brandy
26-Jan-11, 00:12
ok to start you off.. i have Isobel Corner b1785-1872-m- john miller
she is the daughter of Francis Corner b1746 -m- Isobel Bremner 1745-1863
Francis is the son of James Corner b1711 -m- Fenella Bain b 1713
James is the son of John Corner b1685 _m_ margaret McBeath b1690

Peterd500
27-Jan-11, 08:51
Hi peterd500, that is some information you sent me which I thank you for, you said I'd get 'cofused'....how right you are!!! I think I'll need t get a roll of wallpaper pin it up and write it all down to see if I can make sense of it, wish I'd listened to a lovely woman who knew who was who and could go back to about 1860's....could kick myself now, once again I thank-you peterd. May I ask what direction your heading in (if it's not too nosey) the same as me or a different direction???

Am interested in the descendants of Donald SINCLAIR the sailor and his son James SINCLAIR the chamberlain who were in the Sarclet/Thrumster area. So were the chamberlain's brothers John at nearby Gansclet and Francis at nearby Ulbster. Various descendants married into other families in the area and they are all tangled up with each other as well, which my message demonstrates. I'm not an expert on the Thrumster families but keep coming across links such as the ones I mentioned, although they are often links made by others, not me, I've just copied them.

Peterd500

Garnet
27-Jan-11, 15:42
Oh what a tangled 'web' we weave...in more ways than one!!! Ha, Ha. And yes I have Sinclairs too but seemingly from Watten, they being Archibald and Helen Sinclair possibly deceasd by 1944/5 ish and from the Newton area, their ancestors came from the clearances...exactly when...Ah?? Garnet

Tricia
27-Jan-11, 23:00
Wow Tricia, thanks very, very much for that, does that mean I have it wrong with Helen More and Wm Corner or are they related...cousins possibly. Oh I've a long way to go I think, but thanks again. Garnet.

William Corner b 1781 app married 1808 Helen MORE.
William Corner b 1872 app married 1898 Christina Janet Forbes MORE.

these Williams above
William b 1781 app is g'father or William Corner b 1872
also William Senior had a g'daughter Helen Corner 1865 who married 1898 William MORE.
Also William Snr had a daughter Elizabeth who married 1831 Donald MORE.
YES these MORE all relate to each other.
Tricia
born a MORE in Wick

Garnet
28-Jan-11, 01:46
Once again Tricia I can only but thank you for that info, so I was correct about William and Helen, looks like I'll need to get to the library before the hours get reduced....can't believe it's going to happpen, it's the one place where all ages can go especialy retired people who love to read etc. thanks again Tricia. Garnet.