PDA

View Full Version : Changin ur name!

Scarybiscuits03
26-Sep-10, 00:46
Q. When you get married would you ask permission from your father in law to change your name?
OR If you decided not to get married but decided to change ur name to the same as your partners, would you ask for permission first from your partners father?.........

changilass
26-Sep-10, 00:59
Why would you?

annemarie482
26-Sep-10, 08:30
i wouldnt ask anyone!!
i'm engaged, and when i get married i will take my fiance's surname.
because its tradition and quite frankly i want to!
we decided to get married, therefore we pay for it and we make all the choices!
the days of asking permissions is long gone :lol::roll:

Kodiak
26-Sep-10, 11:14
If you are old enough to get married you are old enough to change your name. So why would you feel the need to ask anyone for permission to change your name when there is no requirement to.

It is easy in Scotland to change your name as all you need to do is to change it and let everyone know your new name. As long as you are not changing your name to commit a crime, ie Fraud then this is the simplist way to do so.

I had a relative change their name this way and it was legal. Even the DVLA, Banks etc etc accepted the name change and best of all it cost no money.

Bazeye
26-Sep-10, 11:38
A lad I used to work with from Egremonts, gf wanted to marry him but, as hed already had one marriage and a messy divorce, wasnt too keen so they came to a compromise. He bought her a wedding ring and she changed her surname to the same as his by deed poll. As far as everyone knows, theyre man and wife.

Scarybiscuits03
26-Sep-10, 20:22
The reason I ask is to gauge different peoples opinions as I have changed my name and in doing so have somehow managed to anger a certain member of my partners family, due to me not asking permission!
I find it highly amusing as I did not take the name to become part of his family, I changed my name so my partner, my daughter and myself would all have the same surname!

changilass
26-Sep-10, 20:26
Tell the family member to 'get over themselves', they don't own the rights to the name.

Good on you for doing it for your wee family unit.

annemarie482
26-Sep-10, 21:02
The reason I ask is to gauge different peoples opinions as I have changed my name and in doing so have somehow managed to anger a certain member of my partners family, due to me not asking permission!
I find it highly amusing as I did not take the name to become part of his family, I changed my name so my partner, my daughter and myself would all have the same surname!

and was the person the only person in the world with this name to have permission to give it away?! lol
some folk just love a whinge :lol::roll:

Kevin Milkins
26-Sep-10, 23:15
If my name was, Scarybiscuits03, I might consider a change, and blow to what other people think.;)