PDA

View Full Version : Midges

John Little
24-Sep-10, 17:08
My wife and self are thinking of having a cottage in Caithness for a week next year after I retire. Looking on Google Earth I see tracks across the flow country where the google van stopped - yet you can see the earth road disappearing across the Flow country for miles.

I itch to cycle down that track.

But of course itch is the operative word here because I am quite well aware of the great Highland midge. I know that it is not too bad in May/June but am I right in thinking that September is ok? Last thing I want is for my wee wifey to be cycling across the moors being mobbed by fast-fooding insects. T'would put her off for life.

I don't want to do May/June because I am still at work. Maybe I'd better leave it till 2012?

A week in Caithness then move to the Western Isles...

So when's the best time to avoid the Highland plague yet not get frozen solid?

ducati
24-Sep-10, 17:15
Still aboot now when it's not blowin' a hooley :lol:

Geo
24-Sep-10, 17:32
I was just thinking it hadn't been a bad year for midgies. I didn't get bitten as much. No cleggs at all thankfully!

laguna2
24-Sep-10, 17:34
In case of midges .... Avon's Skin So Soft is a brilliant repellant

unicorn
24-Sep-10, 17:44
It's too cowld for fowk is' September, never mind midges :lol:

bekisman
24-Sep-10, 19:15
My wife and self are thinking of having a cottage in Caithness for a week next year after I retire. Looking on Google Earth I see tracks across the flow country where the google van stopped - yet you can see the earth road disappearing across the Flow country for miles.

I itch to cycle down that track.

But of course itch is the operative word here because I am quite well aware of the great Highland midge. I know that it is not too bad in May/June but am I right in thinking that September is ok? Last thing I want is for my wee wifey to be cycling across the moors being mobbed by fast-fooding insects. T'would put her off for life.

I don't want to do May/June because I am still at work. Maybe I'd better leave it till 2012?

A week in Caithness then move to the Western Isles...

So when's the best time to avoid the Highland plague yet not get frozen solid?

Would that be the track to Altnabreac via Dalnawillan Lodge John? out there a few years ago - very rough potholed track that one (still is?) midges in Sept? well....

John Little
24-Sep-10, 19:43
Would that be the track to Altnabreac via Dalnawillan Lodge John? out there a few years ago - very rough potholed track that one (still is?) midges in Sept? well....

That's the one - but we both have hybrids and they should be able to handle it.

But it's the midges that I have reservations about. Herself has had experience of midges before and she says she's not doing it with them about....

Logical
24-Sep-10, 20:27
Maybe I'd better leave it till 2012?

Would do that if I were you. It'll all be gone then. Best off getting everything on your bucket list done before December 21 2012;).

puffin croft
24-Sep-10, 20:45
i think nows a good time,not too cold but cold enough for the midges to not be out.we sell a good midge spray here in our farm shop,it really works! where in kent are you? my hubby comes from there and we met in margate!

John Little
24-Sep-10, 20:46
We are in central Kent near Tenterden.

Chemicals really keep them off??

puffin croft
24-Sep-10, 20:51
the spray we sell has bog myrtle in,thats what they hate,no chemicals in it or alchohol so does dry out the skin.its made by a local lady in scarfskerry.

Dadie
24-Sep-10, 20:53
~No but it makes you think you are doing something to stop them:lol:
The little biters will all find that 1cm spot you missed and the bare flesh wherever it may be!

billmoseley
25-Sep-10, 17:25
as long as you have your trusty bike going at more than 4 mph they won't catch you well so i was told and it does seem to be true so come up enjoy just don't stop and we haven't seen many up in kirtomy since 1st week of september

Scarybiscuits03
25-Sep-10, 22:56
I never get attacked by midges, very weird, I can be out with a group of folk complaining about getting bitten and I'll get off scot-free!

Dadie
25-Sep-10, 23:17
I dont get bitten as much if I walk next to my hubby...:lol:
But usually when out and about Im the major target!:eek:
I come out in golf ball sized lumps from the common midge...and if a cleg so dares to bite me no number of antihistamines can get the lump under a tennis ball size :eek:

beetlecrusher
29-Sep-10, 16:29
Sorry but neither Skin so Soft nor the bog myrtle stuff stopped the blighters from biting me! What did work though is Jungle Formula - brilliant stuff. By the way - I did get bitten this week when I thought the beasties would have gone.

sprocketman
29-Sep-10, 17:01
there is No repelant that works !! I have been working up in Altnabreak and Forsinard for the last 25 years and havent found it yet. God knows who made up the Avon oil yarn But it really doesnt work. Expedition 2000
is about the best midgies fly on to you and stick to you and die. the rest are a waste of money:(

changilass
29-Sep-10, 17:08
Avon oil only works if you put so much on that they drown in it. and is no use at all in summer as you fry lol

tonkatojo
29-Sep-10, 17:52
Avon oil only works if you put so much on that they drown in it. and is no use at all in summer as you fry lol

Fry in the Caithness summer, which summer was that ?. [lol]

changilass
29-Sep-10, 18:20
2pm to 5pm Jully 27th 1975 twas lovely

tonkatojo
29-Sep-10, 19:36

Jeez what a memory. :eek:

golach
29-Sep-10, 19:37

changilass, your jokes are better than tonka's [lol]

tonkatojo
29-Sep-10, 19:44
changilass, your jokes are better than tonka's [lol]

Aye your right, mind that isn't that difficult. :D

Blarney
29-Sep-10, 19:56
No fear of midges today, they would be either drowned or frozen to death.