PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance rip off

BRIE
24-Sep-10, 13:22
My son passed his test this week so is desperate to get out & about at last.Ive spent the last 3 days trawling every insurance company & comparison site for insurance only to find that the prices are astronomical! infact there is no way he can afford to insure his car :(. Now I know male young drivers are high risk but can they really justify £2,500- £7,000 to insure a 1.1 car & driver with a clean license that for third party only? how does any of these young people afford these stupid prices?

Alice in Blunderland
24-Sep-10, 13:33
Take some of that thousands, invest it in a sex change and the insurance premium comes down ! :eek:

Its scandalous how much they are charging now for all young boys to get insurance.

I was lucky our nineteen year old is a girl and it only costs us four hundred pounds for her name on a 1.2 fiat punto thats with five years no claims discount.She is just a named driver on my policy. I expect when she goes for insurance in her own name it may cost a bit more.

Vistravi
24-Sep-10, 13:53
I'm the policy holder for our vectra sri and it costs for us both almost 2 grand! Next year his ban will be of and i will have a full liscense(just booked my pratical so fingers crossed i've got my full license by christmas!)

Its mad though that they charge so much. Fair enough our car is no 1 litre but it suits our needs just is costly on the old insurance. Wouldn't change her though. She's given me a confidence boost in my driving that my instructor noticed today. At least next year for us will be cheaper as i'll have a full 1 years no claims and his ban will be of his license.

Scarybiscuits03
24-Sep-10, 14:13
I found when I was learning to drive Insurance was quite cheap, after passing it shot up! I believe ur seen as being Very likely to have an accident as many new drivers get cocky.
It's a disgrace that boys insurance costs more than for a girl but Im sure stats would prove that females are a little more responsible behind the wheel hence the hike in price!

rs 2k
24-Sep-10, 14:20
Hiya

Have you tried a quote for fully comp?..........Sometimes it can be cheaper, also put him as main driver but put someone else as a named driver,(mum or dad) u will be surprised :D

Kodiak
24-Sep-10, 14:29
Try and see how much it would cost for a Fully Comprehensive Policy in your Name with your Son as a Named Driver.

This just might bring the permium down.

It makes not much difference to the car you drive as the insurance companies go by the car you might hit.

EDDIE
24-Sep-10, 14:51
Is there not some insurance companys offering lower insurance prices if they drive within a certain time of the day.

Cattach
24-Sep-10, 15:19
My son passed his test this week so is desperate to get out & about at last.Ive spent the last 3 days trawling every insurance company & comparison site for insurance only to find that the prices are astronomical! infact there is no way he can afford to insure his car :(. Now I know male young drivers are high risk but can they really justify £2,500- £7,000 to insure a 1.1 car & driver with a clean license that for third party only? how does any of these young people afford these stupid prices?

The insurance companies, like bookies, are no mugs and know the risks. If they do not recoup many from accidents/potential accidents from high risk groups, and young boys are a very, very high risk group, then somome else has to pay - namely the more experienced safer driver. Also if his policy comes down yours goes up so it can be swings and roundabouts.

upolian
24-Sep-10, 15:30
What car is he trying to insure?i work closely with an insurance company and they would not dream of giving a new driver a quote like that unless its a high performance car!!!

Smithy
24-Sep-10, 16:41
You may have already tried this website I have just heard people talk about using this for young drivers insurance think the name is marmalade.

molly
24-Sep-10, 16:42
We bought a car for our daughter to drive when she was learning to drive. My husband was the main driver and myself and daughter where named drivers. We went with Quinn Insurance. It was cheaper before she passed her test but still cheaper when she passed her test than most other quotes.

Hoida
24-Sep-10, 16:49
When our son passed 6 years ago we had the same problem. He was advised to do an advanced course which he did in Inverness with BSM. He then got insurance very reasonable with a firm called Allan &? sorry can't remember second name but could find out for you. He had to take his car off the road when he went to uni as couldn't afford to run it! or rather we couldn't afford to run it.He will be 25 shortly and he is on our insurance and must say it is not bad. Will try and get name of insurance company :lol:if you want

Bobbin
24-Sep-10, 19:37
My 18 year old son got insured fully comp for his car for just over £1400 with RAC. Give them a try. :)

orkneycadian
24-Sep-10, 20:09
Try and see how much it would cost for a Fully Comprehensive Policy in your Name with your Son as a Named Driver.

This just might bring the permium down.

I think you will find that that is technically fraud....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm

OP said the car was the lads ("his car") so insuring it in the parents name with the son as a named driver would therefore appear to fall under the term "fronting"

With insurance companies looking for every excuse to avoid paying out, forewarned is forearmed!

Vistravi
24-Sep-10, 20:53
We bought a car for our daughter to drive when she was learning to drive. My husband was the main driver and myself and daughter where named drivers. We went with Quinn Insurance. It was cheaper before she passed her test but still cheaper when she passed her test than most other quotes.

Aye my instructor was telling me that it can be cheaper if the policy for the car in question is in the name of a older, mature driver and the young driver is added as a named driver. the young just passed driver earns 1 years no claims as does the older driver. It works out very cheap indeed. Unfortunatly for my partner and myself it will be expensive regardless untill next year due to him being a naughty boy when he was younger.

Vistravi
24-Sep-10, 21:08
I think you will find that that is technically fraud....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm

OP said the car was the lads ("his car") so insuring it in the parents name with the son as a named driver would therefore appear to fall under the term "fronting"

With insurance companies looking for every excuse to avoid paying out, forewarned is forearmed!

How could it be fraud if it is the son that drives it not the parent?

*Martin*
24-Sep-10, 21:56
How could it be fraud if it is the son that drives it not the parent?

Did you read that link?

Anfield
25-Sep-10, 15:56
Aye my instructor was telling me that it can be cheaper if the policy for the car in question is in the name of a older, mature driver and the young driver is added as a named driver. the young just passed driver earns 1 years no claims as does the older driver. It works out very cheap indeed. Unfortunatly for my partner and myself it will be expensive regardless untill next year due to him being a naughty boy when he was younger.

If your driving instructor is giving you advice like this, I would change to a another driving instructor - sharpish before they give you any more "advice".