PDA

View Full Version : TV repairs

kjandcrew
23-Sep-10, 18:16
Hi, can anyone help me i have a Technika flat screen tv bought about 4 years ago from Tesco and its stopped working. The light on the front flashes rapidly and wont turn on and the remote does nothing to help either. Can anyone suggest where i should go to get it looked at please, preferable someone who can tell me whats wrong and price to fix. Thank you

georgegwf
23-Sep-10, 20:34
Try colin chessor I'm sure he operates no fix no pay service

_Ju_
23-Sep-10, 20:55
Not sure if they do flat screens, but in Thurso, opposite the police station there is a shop that does/did TV repairs. They had an in house technician ( ie: did not send it away for diagnosis and repair). I think the shop is called Alacam or something similair?

bagpuss
23-Sep-10, 22:51
Have you tried tesco helpline? I had a similar problem- turned out we needed new batteries in the remote

badger
25-Sep-10, 15:32
Try colin chessor I'm sure he operates no fix no pay service

Not unless he has changed his policy. I had a non-working tv a few years ago and asked what it would cost for him to look at it. Can't remember the exact quote but he would definitely have charged, which I thought quite fair. Time is money.

poppett
25-Sep-10, 17:00
Alacam is probably your best bet.

georgegwf
25-Sep-10, 22:29
Not unless he has changed his policy. I had a non-working tv a few years ago and asked what it would cost for him to look at it. Can't remember the exact quote but he would definitely have charged, which I thought quite fair. Time is money.
Wasn't sure if he still operated this policy....
It was just that I had a T.V. Video combi that broke and I put it to the shop in Halkirk and he couldn't fix and I wasn't charged

phil_moonbeam
26-Sep-10, 07:09
wasn't sure if he still operated this policy....
It was just that i had a t.v. Video combi that broke and i put it to the shop in halkirk and he couldn't fix and i wasn't charged

its probobly the power panel inside the tv gone or heated up and melted the solder on a resistor or diode on the tv common problem on flat screen tvs get anyone who is electronically minded who can solder to take back of tv and look easy fix but quite often shops will tell you unfixable as it is a fiddly process and time consuming fault finding panel up to 3hrs at prob 30 - 40 pounds a hour but as i say easy fix for anyone electronically minded hope this helps you

EDDIE
26-Sep-10, 07:56
If your tv hasnt got freeview hd tuner would this be a good time to upgrade rather paying for a repair?

kjandcrew
27-Sep-10, 21:42
It does have freeview built in im just a bit worried that i bought it 4 years ago and the warranty etc has run out and maybe the cost of repair might not be viable!! Totally understand the technicians time equals money

kjandcrew
27-Sep-10, 21:51
Got my old tv out of the loft and bought a freeview box and works fab - sign of the times maybe - think im just old-fashioned and like the original stuff and should stick to what i know :confused Im so obviously not moving with the times :roll: - anyone want a flat screen 32" hd/freeview tv (not working mind!!) [lol]

EDDIE
28-Sep-10, 07:23
It does have freeview built in im just a bit worried that i bought it 4 years ago and the warranty etc has run out and maybe the cost of repair might not be viable!! Totally understand the technicians time equals money

You get freeview and freeview hd
Freeview you get all your digital channels and "freeview hd" you get all your digital channels plus hd channels on your tv the whole thing is a con just to make you buy a new tv the minute everyone has upgraded to freeview hd tv 3d will become standard and affordable and everyone will upgrade again
A lot of lcd tvs come with a 5 year guarantee you have to find out how long a guarantee you have?