PDA

View Full Version : At the Risk of being Judgemental

brokencross
22-Jul-06, 14:05
I don't know the full background or circumstances but I fear for the child and the mother who is nothing but a child herself.

First this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5165318.stm

then this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5205760.stm

What can be done? Is the mother (13 years old) vunerable, stupid, taking the mickey or what!?

MadPict
22-Jul-06, 14:14
The law is an ass - 9 year sentence has just been passed on a 15 yr old boy who raped an 11 yr old girl in the local Sainsbury - I guess in the case above because she said yes the offence of rape is not an option...

Rheghead
22-Jul-06, 14:51
The law is an ass - 9 year sentence has just been passed on a 15 yr old boy who raped an 11 yr old girl in the local Sainsbury - I guess in the case above because she said yes the offence of rape is not an option...

I think it is a point in law that a girl under 14 cannot give true consent therefore the definition in relation to rape is satisfied, certainly in English law anyway.

unicorn
22-Jul-06, 14:56
I am absolutely gobsmacked by that story.

mccaugm
22-Jul-06, 15:08
I am absolutely gobsmacked by that story.

Absolutely beyond belief - maybe hitting my mid thirties has made me look at life differently but I believe that the age of consent should be 18 for all things.

Its mad,:( :( when your are supposedly mentally and physically able to cope with sex and the possibility of having children at 16 but cannot drive till 17 or drink till 18. I find that state of affairs insane.

Billy Boy
22-Jul-06, 16:10
Absolutely beyond belief - maybe hitting my mid thirties has made me look at life differently but I believe that the age of consent should be 18 for all things.

Its mad,:( :( when your are supposedly mentally and physically able to cope with sex and the possibility of having children at 16 but cannot drive till 17 or drink till 18. I find that state of affairs insane.

well said lol

Gleber2
22-Jul-06, 16:33
More and more media coverage is given to sex per se. Young girls have it thrown at them from every direction and are receptive at a younger and younger age. What else can any sane person expect than experimenting from an early age with that which they see the adult world up to in almost every movie and TV show.

squidge
22-Jul-06, 17:45
It is a shocking state of affairs but i have commented on this before = Children have to learn values from those around thm - if they dont then we shouldnt be surprised when they behave in this way. If a girl has low self esteem and no secure and loving home she will take anything to bolster that self esteem and give her affection where she can. Sex can do that. In a normal happy secure and loving home where a girl grows up with a strong sense of her own worth that is less likely to happen.

As for Boys - well i think the same applies - if there is little love and confidence from home they will hit out and take it where they can. There are many people on this board that mention fostering and caring for children with a variety of problems. I am sure that those who deal with teenage kids will not be surprised to see sex used in the way i have described. Ther firl is in a foster home and the boy was in a residential school - can you imagine some of the problems they have?

Sex is everywhere you look and its fine when kids see that in a loving and secure home and you can discuss sex and relationshis frankly with your children but for damaged and vulnerable boys and girls it is dangerous and gives them something they can use to fill an empty place or lash out with against the rest of us.

Shocking Stuff

Blazing Sporrans
22-Jul-06, 18:03
I think it is a point in law that a girl under 14 cannot give true consent therefore the definition in relation to rape is satisfied, certainly in English law anyway.
I think in Scotland the threshold for this sort of 'statutory rape' was 13. Again it agreed with English law in that a girl under 13 was not capable of giving true consent, therefore the crime of rape was deemed to be complete. It seems to be the usual case for the courts here, insofar as a plea is accepted to the lesser charge to avoid the expense of going to trial. Is the expense of a trial worth the expense of a young girls' childhood?

And I couldn't agree more with Gleber2

More and more media coverage is given to sex per se. Young girls have it thrown at them from every direction and are receptive at a younger and younger age. What else can any sane person expect than experimenting from an early age with that which they see the adult world up to in almost every movie and TV show.
when the likes of Sky offer up 'Holiday Reps' and such like for entertainment these days, what can you expect? Showing the Club 18-30 generation binge-drinking and glamourising the consequences doesn't entertain me one bit. I'm not blaming one man for it, however Rupert Murdoch seems to be at least sponsoring the decline of society through a lot of the garbage peddled on modern television....

Kittykat
22-Jul-06, 20:55
I'm just frightened for my grandchildren.... we all want what's best for our families but we can't watch them 24 hours a day. I feel sorry for today's parents as the years have shown me that constantly pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable has a knock-on effect with the younger generations. :~(