PDA

View Full Version : Tesco is not your friend......

onecalledk
22-Sep-10, 17:00
The mission was to buy some goats milk yogurt in tesco. Drove to Wick and managed to order said product and customer service man was very nice and helpful. Went back today to pick up said order to be told that it was not available. After explaining to the not so helpful man that I had been told it was a line that could be ordered in and that the order had been placed no problem a few days ago I was told that Wick tesco would not stock it as there was not enough profit it in.

Tesco policy is to monitor levels of stock within the store. If an item fails to sell well enough the levels of that product are reduced, if it falls again then it disappears. Whilst I can sort of see the logic in this, Tesco dont want to fill the shop with items that dont sell well, what about customer choice ? With this policy ANYTHING that is not selling too well is discontinued, this explains why when living in Inverness it was impossible to get certain items in the retail park but yet buy them at the Inshes tesco.

This also throws up (for want of a better phrase) customer choice. I was told by the customer service guy that when a new store opens that store will have depth of line as well as breadth of choice but as time goes on this is refined. So if the customer base that tesco Wick has only ever buys the same groceries week in week out they will never be offered products outside this range, therefore the range will continue to narrow and customers will be faced with the same "choice" week in week out.

Personally I am little hacked off, I dont trust supermarkets at the best of times. The other reason that was wheeled out of the box was that the Wick store is remote and for this reason Tesco will not send a lot of products further than Inverness!

If there is anyone out there by the way that can tell me where to buy goats milk yoghurt then please let me know. Its not a luxury out of this world product, just a product that someone wants to eat as they cannot eat cows milk yoghurt.

Tesco - every little helps ? BUT WHO do is help .....

K

billmoseley
22-Sep-10, 17:03
how about making it yourself? i know you can get yogurt makers then all you need is a friendly goat

changilass
22-Sep-10, 17:03
Contact head office, tell them that you ordered it and drove all the way through to wick just to pick it up and see what they have to say.

onecalledk
22-Sep-10, 17:12
the wee customer service guy did offer me a form to fill in but I told him I would be emailing head office to complain, I expect the standard response but have emailed them...... 32mile round trip.. sigh ...

K

ShelleyCowie
22-Sep-10, 17:15
i emailed tesco a few weeks ago, the selection of nappies in the thurso tesco is absolutely pathetic! cant get the right size for Athrun at all!

I have to order them from wick (paying for the delivery obviously) just to get the right size nappies because i cant get them elsewhere in Thurso either.

I got the same response as you, because it wasnt selling they wont stock it. So i replied how are they supposed to sell if you wont stock it?!

I buy in mass bulk of nappies now, or i will buy them online from asda, delivery is somehow cheaper!??!!! Mental. But...what can we do? :confused

Geo
22-Sep-10, 17:46
Makes perfect sense to me. Local shops would stop stocking items that don't sell well.

However if Tesco accepted your order they should have at the very least provided that order and then let you know they couldn't provide a regular supply. I would be expecting some clubcard points or vouchers as way of apology for the wasted trip.

Kodiak
22-Sep-10, 18:00
Actually what Tesco have is a Customer Request Form. They will take a Request for any Item that they do not sell and then pass it along. If they think it will sell they will stock it, if they think it will Not sell then they wont.

So although you put in a request it does not mean they will stock it.

Liz
22-Sep-10, 18:16
If there is anyone out there by the way that can tell me where to buy goats milk yoghurt then please let me know. Its not a luxury out of this world product, just a product that someone wants to eat as they cannot eat cows milk yoghurt.

Tesco - every little helps ? BUT WHO do is help .....

K

You can buy it online from www.goodnessdirect.co.uk (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) :D

Red
22-Sep-10, 18:48
i emailed tesco a few weeks ago, the selection of nappies in the thurso tesco is absolutely pathetic! cant get the right size for Athrun at all!

I have to order them from wick (paying for the delivery obviously) just to get the right size nappies because i cant get them elsewhere in Thurso either.

I got the same response as you, because it wasnt selling they wont stock it. So i replied how are they supposed to sell if you wont stock it?!

I buy in mass bulk of nappies now, or i will buy them online from asda, delivery is somehow cheaper!??!!! Mental. But...what can we do? :confused

You could always try cloth nappies ;) give me a shout if you want more info - would save you a packet and you'd never run out.

Also to One Called K have you tried Alpro soya yoghurts - they are surprisingly nice.

poppett
22-Sep-10, 18:50
Tesco in Thurso used to stock their own value drinking chocolate, which everyone said was lovely and it was only 50pence for the 500g plastic jar. The jars get recycled for painting, so nothing wasted.

Now the shelf space it used to be on is emply and no chance of it coming back into the Thurso store.

So good cranberry and lime sparkling mineral water has also disappeared into oblivion.

Dove pro age body butter................absent forever.

..........and they wonder we find alternative sources for the products and buy them online!

Very unfriendly attitude towards customer service.

The new suit (manager) in Wick wouldn`t even keep a shirt aside for me for the half an hour it would have taken me to get through to collect it, although he was happy enough to have staff waste their time going to see if the item I had requested had arrived in the stock order.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tonkatojo
22-Sep-10, 19:01
Contact head office, tell them that you ordered it and drove all the way through to wick just to pick it up and see what they have to say.

They would probably say the same as the "mods" say its their ball and they aint playing the way you want to. So there.

onecalledk
22-Sep-10, 19:05
Actually what Tesco have is a Customer Request Form. They will take a Request for any Item that they do not sell and then pass it along. If they think it will sell they will stock it, if they think it will Not sell then they wont.

So although you put in a request it does not mean they will stock it.

thats where the problem is I was told, an order WAS placed by the customer service guy on monday. The guy today told me that he should actually only have placed a request PRIOR to requesting an order ! I have the order placed slip with details on it etc. I would therefore have expected to collect that order as it was placed by them on monday.
K

Kodiak
22-Sep-10, 19:25
thats where the problem is I was told, an order WAS placed by the customer service guy on monday. The guy today told me that he should actually only have placed a request PRIOR to requesting an order ! I have the order placed slip with details on it etc. I would therefore have expected to collect that order as it was placed by them on monday.
K

So in other words the person who said it could be ordered was incorrect. This happens and I do not think it is Tesco's fault in this case. It was just a mistake by a single employee. All a storm in a tea-cup really.

onecalledk
22-Sep-10, 19:30
So in other words the person who said it could be ordered was incorrect. This happens and I do not think it is Tesco's fault in this case. It was just a mistake by a single employee. All a storm in a tea-cup really.

have to take issue with "simple mistake" the person who ordered the stuff for me was the customer service manager (or so his badge said), he put through the order and then handed me the slip that states the price and the item. Not much hope for the dept if if the manager of said dept makes a "mistake".

The whole point is that an order was made and then not fulfilled and no customer service was implemented. A quick phone call to me to say sorry we cant get your yoghurt would have been fine. I dont appreciate a 32mile round trip for nothing........

Also just pointing out the stupidity that is Tesco policy. Why should we be dictated to by tesco. WE are the customers and TESCO should realise this. We are unfortunately stuck with Tesco and they know this. If there were other supermarkets in the running up here you can bet I would have got the order.

Am sick to death of companies trying the "rural" card everytime. Having lived in a big city, a smaller city and now caithness I can see the differences. I am not for one minute saying that we should have the same choice as someone in London but some choice would be good.

We ARE ALL customers, whether we live in London or live in Wick should make no difference at all to the level of SERVICE that is provided ....

K

Kodiak
22-Sep-10, 20:17
Am sick to death of companies trying the "rural" card everytime. Having lived in a big city, a smaller city and now caithness I can see the differences.

K

I think you will find that before an item is actually ordered for any branch of Tesco a customer request form should be filled in. This is Tesco's Policy no matter where you live. Staff on the Customer Service Desk just can not order individual items as it has to be authorised. I do not believe that this has anything to with Wick being "Rural".

So I still say it was either a Mistake by this member of staff or you interpreted incorrectly what he told you.

If you do not like Tesco's Policy then the real easy answer is to stop shopping there.

As I said in my earlier post, "Tis but a storm in a tea-cup" :D

brandy
23-Sep-10, 09:18
lidls have great nappies... in bigger sizes.. thats where we bought all ours!

Vistravi
23-Sep-10, 09:28

I'm the same. Thurso tesco seems to stock pampers and not much else. The else are all small packs anyway. As pampers don't last an hour on Sami without a leakage occuring i don't use them. i have found tescos own nappies really good and he stays leak free. When i get a chance to go to wick tesco i always buy the big packs and i buy loads! If i couldn't get to wick at least once a month i'd be ordering online like yourself.
I have been thinking of buying my shopping online anyway. Saves time going round the shops and Sami doesn't like shopping very much lol.

juniper
23-Sep-10, 09:47
Bring on ASDA much more helpful place it in thurso instead of a new tesco and have a little competition

shamrock2007
23-Sep-10, 12:20
Yip i've had problems with tescos aswell, yes no probs we can order than then oh no we couldn't sorry!

What about Bulno Cheese, lady in Dunbeath that has goats, shes very nice & i'm sure would try to help you www.bulnogoatscheese.co.uk (http://www.bulnogoatscheese.co.uk)

Hope you manage to get what you want :)

AliciaMackinnon
23-Sep-10, 12:28

Im exactly the same!!!!!!!! Cant get the nappies I need in tesco so i hav to go trapsing around trying to find them!!! Other thing I will say about nappies is that the nappies that arent so much bought have realy good deals on and then the nappies that are bought regurlary hav crap deals on and you can get the same product much cheaper else where!!! Semi chem are great for my daughters nappies (32 for 3 pound!!) (tesco sells the same for i think close to a fiver!!!)

George Brims
23-Sep-10, 19:30
Well Tesco are *my* friend. They have opened a chain called Fresh and Easy Markets in the US. Each one is like a small Tesco, with self-serve checkouts only. This does mean all the fruit and veg is pre-packed so you can scan it, except bananas - then you have to press the "banana" button and be honest about how many you have!
Now I can buy a lot of British products that used to only be available in wee specialty shops for an arm and a leg. Unfortunately something seems to have happened to Heinz beans, though. When did they become so bland and tasteless?

golach
23-Sep-10, 19:35
Unfortunately something seems to have happened to Heinz beans, though. When did they become so bland and tasteless?

George, maybe like me your getting owld, the memory and the taste buds are not as sharp as we would like them to be [lol]

poppett
24-Sep-10, 11:01
Heinz beans are awful tasting now since they have tried to make them healthier.

rupert
24-Sep-10, 19:46
Ditched Heinz baked beans ages ago once we tried Branston ones - miles better.

George Brims
24-Sep-10, 22:52
George, maybe like me your getting owld, the memory and the taste buds are not as sharp as we would like them to be [lol]
Owld I will own up to, but that's not the issue with the beans. Heinz sell a US version called "Vegetarian beans" (most US baked beans contain bacon or pork) which are much tastier. We will be sticking with those, or the vegetarian beans from Trader Joes.

onecalledk
01-Oct-10, 11:21
It appears that when a little star appears next to the price of an item in tesco this is an indication that said product is to be discontinued ....

so peeps when doing your shop, check for the stars , these items are to be sent into the ether and never bought in Caithness again ........

:eek:

K

ducati
01-Oct-10, 13:01
'Seems to me that when shopping at Tesco (or any other supermarket) that they have a vast range from the very cheap to premium brands. Enough choice, I would say, to allow a fair comparison and purchase a balanced shop. Surely it is up to the individual to avail themselves as they see fit. I for one am becoming a little weiry of certain posters banging there own drum and denigrating those that choose to avail themselves of Tesco's offering. :Razz

Corrie 3
01-Oct-10, 14:00
' Surely it is up to the individual to avail themselves as they see fit. I for one am becoming a little weiry of certain posters banging there own drum and denigrating those that choose to avail themselves of Tesco's offering. :Razz
Me too Ducati, I think for the average person Tesco is the best thing thats happpened to Wick in a long time.
And everyone still has the local shops if thats what they prefer!
I certainly would love to see Asda set up in Wick, that would bring our shopping and fuel bills down even further!!

C3....:)

annemarie482
01-Oct-10, 14:06
Me too Ducati, I think for the average person Tesco is the best thing thats happpened to Wick in a long time.
And everyone still has the local shops if thats what they prefer!
I certainly would love to see Asda set up in Wick, that would bring our shopping and fuel bills down even further!!

C3....:)

totally agree

onecalledk
01-Oct-10, 14:41
ASDA have been trying to get into Inverness for years and tesco have stopped them there, wouldnt hold your breath for ASDA up here......

personally I would rather see a Sainsbury, but as they are no further north than Edinburgh that would be an even longer intake of breath ....

K

sandyr1
02-Oct-10, 00:29
Take a look at Business like this.

BT,,,,Before Tesco etal there were small private shops selling items...On some occasions they were making a huge profit...
e.g. A 'water gun'.......squirty pistol, being sold in Caithness for 9 pounds! I saw the same water gun in Florida and Ontario in the 'Dollar Store'... priced at 99 Cents. At that time that would have been 50 Pence!
So the difference was 9 pounds to 50 p.
So large stores over here could buy it cheaper....but say even costing 1 pound in Caithness! Selling it for 9 pounds!
Tesco etc comes in and reduces prices.....so the other stores have to reduce their prices...
Isn't that good for everyone? The small independant stores make less profit, but good stores stay in business, so Tesco etc are not all bad are they??
Just a Friday nite thought....

crayola
02-Oct-10, 00:53
Tesco is my friend. It keeps 'them' away from Sainsbury's. This can only be a good thing.