PDA

View Full Version : why wont people think.

balto
21-Sep-10, 11:53
Heard yesterday that a cat who only had kittens 4 months again is pregnant, now this is the 2nd one in 2 days, the other one had kittens about four months ago aswell, why wont people think and get their cats done, both these cats owners struggled to rehome the kittens, in fact they still have at least 2 that they couldnt find homes for, all this puts extra strain on the sspca and cats protection, it doesnt cost that much to get a she cat done, just makes me mad that there is now going to be more kittens left to run around , and start the chain all over again. i know you cant get a cat dressed while its still feeding the kittens but surely it makes sense to keep the cat in to prevent it being caught again.

Tatbabe
21-Sep-10, 11:59
I agree, this is ridiculous.

However, it costs around £40 to have a cat neutered - which is quite a bit of money.

So why not get a neutered cat from the SSPCA in the first place ...

balto
21-Sep-10, 12:01

However, it costs around £40 to have a cat neutered - which is quite a bit of money.

yeah to some people i suppose it is a lot of money, but if you add up all the extra food these kittens need once they start to get weaned of their mum, im sure in the time you have them it will come to near the same amount, if not more, and if you let your cat have kittens at least twice, its cheaper to get the cat dressed.

Liz
21-Sep-10, 12:13
This makes me so mad![evil]

As you rightly say Balto,£40 to get the cat spayed would work out cheaper in the end.

Also Cats Protection will pay towards the cost of spaying or all the costs depending on the circumstances.

Why oh why oh why don't people get their cats and dogs spayed?!!!!!!!!!!!

aurora32
21-Sep-10, 13:21
Maybe if people were made aware that CPL will help with neautering depending on circumstances they would get their cats done more readily and stop this vicious circle from happening, a lot of it could be just pure ignorance at what help is available.

Just a thought :)

Dadie
21-Sep-10, 13:55
Yeah.
And how many of them use the pail of water as a kitten control measure?
Costs nothing and as long as the people are not stupid enough to put the video on facebook/youtube or talk about it.....no one will know!

porshiepoo
21-Sep-10, 14:27
I used to put this sort of thing down to ignorance. Not any more!
It's plain disregard for the animal and any off spring it may produce.
People would sooner worry about re-homing when the time comes than to take a trip to the vet and get the animal neutered.

Don't get me wrong I've had a cat get caught when I didn't want it to. In fact 2 of them. They were litter sisters, came in to season at the same time and were both 'had' by a feral cat.
Both cats had their litters literally days apart and we re-homed all but one of them - free of charge.
I kicked myself for letting them both get caught in the first place (it was 100% my fault) so what was the very first thing I did? Got them both neutered and then had the kitten done too when she was old enough!
It's simply good pet care to be responsible for what your animals are producing.
I can just about go along with one mistake (although how much of a mistake is it really if we let an animal out un neutered) but anything after that is not a mistake.

Liz
21-Sep-10, 14:34
Maybe if people were made aware that CPL will help with neautering depending on circumstances they would get their cats done more readily and stop this vicious circle from happening, a lot of it could be just pure ignorance at what help is available.

Just a thought :)

CP have advertised via posters and the press that they help with neutering costs.:D

Afraid with a lot of people I'm afraid it's down to laziness.:confused

Liz
21-Sep-10, 14:35
Yeah.
And how many of them use the pail of water as a kitten control measure?
Costs nothing and as long as the people are not stupid enough to put the video on facebook/youtube or talk about it.....no one will know!

You're not advocating this are you? It's against the law and so cruel.

Dadie
21-Sep-10, 14:54
No just highlighting it goes on!
They are the ones that dont get noticed!
The ones that keep the kittens and try to rehome them get noticed.

Liz
21-Sep-10, 17:55

Cats Protection also neuter all adult cats before rehoming and will offer help to neuter kittens who are homed if necessary.:D

Dadie
21-Sep-10, 21:18
The ones who drown kittens are the least likely to take up help from the cats protection, but are the ones who need the help most.
Even if the cp had a free neutering week where they picked up and delivered the cat back doubt many if any would do it!
2nd are the ones who are suprised their cat keeps getting caught...they would take the cp up on the offer!