PDA

View Full Version : Fish and Chips

jaykay
21-Jul-06, 15:53
Where can I get the best fish and chips in Caithness?

Bradcon
21-Jul-06, 15:56
I think Henrietta's Chip Shop in Wick is pretty good.;)

dragonfly
21-Jul-06, 16:03
Chippy in Castletown is good too

Billy Boy
21-Jul-06, 16:18
robin's in thurso are lovely jubbly:Razz

buggyracer
21-Jul-06, 16:23
castletown chippie

Carlo Gambino
21-Jul-06, 16:24
My house, the local chippys are quite poor tbh

Billy Boy
21-Jul-06, 16:25
My house, the local chippys are quite poor tbh

what time are you open lol[lol]

Skerries
21-Jul-06, 16:26
I think Halkirk Chip Shop is definitely the best.
Some of the others don't clean the fat enough.
Halkirk chippie is spotless and the food is very fresh. No wrinkled old red puddings there! :lol:

Carlo Gambino
21-Jul-06, 16:28
When do you want some magnifico Italian style Fish & Chips? Fresh local haddock from Scrabster fish market? Im having some in a little while........

footie chick
21-Jul-06, 17:53
I think Halkirk Chip Shop is definitely the best.
Some of the others don't clean the fat enough.
Halkirk chippie is spotless and the food is very fresh. No wrinkled old red puddings there! :lol:

is okay if you dont like chips all you get is little hard crispy bits no real chips.
Robins for me or further afield Golspie has to be the best by far

golach
21-Jul-06, 20:05
Where can I get the best fish and chips in Caithness?
Castletown, good for Pasta too

Bobinovich
21-Jul-06, 20:09
Just seen in 'e Groat that someone's applied to change the old Autoparts building into a chippy/restaurant. Anyone know who they (Ms A Mackenzie & D. Miller) are, and what's everyone's thoughts with another chippy in the town - especially at the expense of a retail premesis...

davem
21-Jul-06, 21:07
Further away, Elizabeths in Bettyhill, well worth a trip but book if you want to eat in.

Gleber2
21-Jul-06, 21:10
We always stopped at Le Mirage in Chippendale(Helmsdale of course) when on the road. Worth the wait.

mccaugm
21-Jul-06, 21:10
is okay if you dont like chips all you get is little hard crispy bits no real chips.
Robins for me or further afield Golspie has to be the best by far

Also there are no vegetarian options at all. Very disappointing. Only chippie I go to is Robyns chip shop.

las123
21-Jul-06, 21:28
i have got to agree, the helmsdale chippie is the best up here, especially the bacon and egg rolls. i had a castletown tonight and it was horrible, all dry nd luke warm, wont be going back.

Buttercup
21-Jul-06, 22:28
Robin's is the best local option but he's well beaten on quality by La Mirage in Helmsdale. ~ Making me hungry just thinking about it!

cuddlepop
21-Jul-06, 22:37
The chippy in Golspie that was mentioned earlier is brilliant.Well worth the extra distence:D

katarina
22-Jul-06, 09:50
Henriettas - if you can get in the door.

MR J
22-Jul-06, 10:13
If its a freshly cooked bit of fish you want.....go to Reids by the river in Thurso. Never had a bad supper yet!;) :grin:

chamb
22-Jul-06, 10:41
Well what can i say, not a decent chipper to be seen, i hope the one thats applied for autoparts in thurso is an improvement,

yeh i have been going to robins all my days and its what we are used to but that doesnt mean it is good? and rieds is a hit or a miss, just like castletown the only thing going for it is the kebabs my hubby daft on them

the halkirk chippie might be okay? thats when its open the hours are strange and the sausages are processed crap, why do people do that when there are good butchers up here.

AND Sandras snack bar, its the worlds worst, and the staff are all mingers.

Ali
22-Jul-06, 10:42
I've been to Le Mirage in Helmsdale once and it'll be the last time, not fit to eat. I recon Robins is the best in Thurso although a mate of mine says the hospital treatment after food from the one across the road from Robins is really good, only place you can lose weight after eating their food.....
I've had a few Kebabs from the Indian next to Spar in thurso and they're excellent, I'd heard horror stories but dont believe them now.

changilass
22-Jul-06, 11:07
We had food out of Castletown chippy last night and all 4 of us thouroughly enjoyed it, would definately recommend.

unicorn
22-Jul-06, 11:20
I tried Castletown chippie but found the food running with grease and the batter was like a grease sponge yuck........

Kaishowing
22-Jul-06, 11:38
Compared to Chippies further South, most of the one's up here are great ....but one thing nobody North of Aberdeen can seem to do properly is a decent Kebab! What's sold up here are nothing but 'pale' immitations.[evil]

unicorn
22-Jul-06, 11:40
I do like the kebabs from the Indian in high ormlie yummmm!!

Loafer
22-Jul-06, 13:02
Just seen in 'e Groat that someone's applied to change the old Autoparts building into a chippy/restaurant. Anyone know who they (Ms A Mackenzie & D. Miller) are, and what's everyone's thoughts with another chippy in the town - especially at the expense of a retail premesis...

These two also own the Halkirk chippie, BY FAR the best chippie in Caithness. How anyone can say Robins is a good chipper is beyond me!!

If you go to the Halkirk chippie, you won't go anywhere else again.

The Loafer

rangers1873
22-Jul-06, 13:22
had a king rib supper from castletown chippy on thursday,chips were nice but king ribs was about 2 hours over cooked,personally i cant see past houstons for a desent feed,as outwith the county it has to be la mirage

connieb19
22-Jul-06, 13:37
and the sausages are processed crap, Do you get any other kind of sausages? :confused

beetlecrusher
23-Jul-06, 14:05
Definitely Castletown.

peedie
23-Jul-06, 16:05
was at castletown chippie last night was magic definatley the best one, kept me going all night, whihc include being pulled round on a float and the pub crawl after [lol]

Naefearjustbeer
23-Jul-06, 17:20
Another vote for Castletown, Wont eat chips from thurso unless I am blootered and starving. And If I am in wick it has to be Henriettas.

Rheghead
23-Jul-06, 17:25
I went to Castletown yesterday and was suitably impressed with the fish and batter. Halkirk is also good.

Robins can be good though they can be hitty missy. They seem to struggle to manage the time correctly that the food needs to drain the fat and the fish can suffer from a little dryness as a result.

unicorn
23-Jul-06, 18:07
Maybe I just got Castletown on a bad day.

hammers
23-Jul-06, 19:01
Can`t fault castletown chippy for chips and their pasta dishes are excellent.La mirage was swimming with grease yuch,wont be going back there.Not a chippy but the kebabs from indians in thurso are the best you will find outside of the big cities.

Naefearjustbeer
23-Jul-06, 22:50
Well they do say the only bit of the pig not used by Halls is the oink :eek:

unicorn
23-Jul-06, 22:52
Well they do say the only bit of the pig not used by Halls is the oink :eek:
ewwwwwww thats just digusting!!!!!!

mccaugm
23-Jul-06, 22:55
With all this gross talk about sausages I am glad to be vegetarian.

:(

Naefearjustbeer
23-Jul-06, 23:04

LOL you could probally still manage some sausages because there isnt much proper meat in them ;)

jay
24-Jul-06, 10:05
If its a freshly cooked bit of fish you want.....go to Reids by the river in Thurso. Never had a bad supper yet!;) :grin:

got to agree with Mr J (no relation honest!) Reid's leave Robin's standing - the food is always freshly cooked and large portions. In Robins you're luckyto get half a fish and half the time it's burnt or dried out

jaykay
24-Jul-06, 10:51
I have tried Robins and the chipper in castletown. In both case I only got half a fish in each fish supper and they were not very big fish at that. Also I found the fish and chips from the castletown chipper to be very oily and Robins fish to be over cooked and a bit dry.

MR J
25-Jul-06, 00:11

Are you a hard core vegetarian? The sort that doesn`t drive through a place with the name ham in it??[lol]

mccaugm
25-Jul-06, 10:53
If you mean vegan - no - choose not to eat meat.

buggyracer
26-Jul-06, 10:25
forgot about reids theres are also very good!!

Dali
26-Jul-06, 15:43
Was at the chippy at wick harbour today .£1.50 for a little tray of chips i thought it was bad up here when charged £1 for a little tray .Down south you get a huge portion for arond 90p - £1 .And the only thing they use the tray for is to scoop the chips around 3 tray fulls to a portion.

bky
27-Jul-06, 07:32
robin's is ok IF Robin is cooking - if he aint there dont bother - we had fish from Donnie Reid's place last week and it was great

Phoebus_Apollo
27-Jul-06, 21:05
Don`t bother with the Halkirk chippy they close at 6:30...[evil]

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 22:31
Why does the Halkirk Chippie close at 6.30? Seems very early for a "service" in the village?

Buttercup
27-Jul-06, 22:39
Why does the Halkirk Chippie close at 6.30? Seems very early for a "service" in the village?
Aren't you the "Halkirk Chickie:roll:"? Surely you would know!or could at least find out.

mccaugm
27-Jul-06, 22:59
Point taken. Will do so.