PDA

View Full Version : Support your local shops?

bekisman
20-Sep-10, 20:51
Friend of mine needed a 32amp MCB, was going to Inverness and could have picked one up in B&Q for £4.98 or Wickes for £4.49.. instead went to Allans of Gillock and was charged £8.81!.. I know they are good value for timber.. but...

Rheghead
20-Sep-10, 20:54
Screwfix? You know it makes sense!

bekisman
20-Sep-10, 21:02
Screwfix? You know it makes sense!
Fully agree Reggers, £5 for postage to here if spend less than £50..

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-10, 21:56
Any item only becomes expensive when you see it cheaper somewhere else.

The good thing about independent companies like Allans of Gillock, there will be a good chance they will have what you want in stock, but get good personal service as well. When the sheds have control of the market you can look forward to paying what they ask, regardless of value for money.

annemarie482
20-Sep-10, 22:15
Friend of mine needed a 32amp MCB, was going to Inverness and could have picked one up in B&Q for £4.98 or Wickes for £4.49.. instead went to Allans of Gillock and was charged £8.81!.. I know they are good value for timber.. but...

yeah true, but that said your friend went home with it then and there.
money v urgency of need!

Bradcon
20-Sep-10, 22:18
could of got that from macleans or citys for about four plus vat.;)

DeHaviLand
20-Sep-10, 22:30
Aye, cities maybe, but Macleans? Gone downhill since that new guy started a couple of years back, round about the same time as cef started to improve ;)

ducati
20-Sep-10, 22:32
£10 Fuel to Inverness- 4 hour return trip, Bargain I'd say :confused

bekisman
20-Sep-10, 23:43

Seems that L.E.D. in Princess Street sells 'em at £4.60...!

ducati
21-Sep-10, 07:19
Seems that L.E.D. in Princess Street sells 'em at £4.60...!

Ooops!:eek:

Phill
21-Sep-10, 08:09
Got a few in me garage, need to clear out all me electrical guff looks like I could make me some beer tokens!! :lol:

clyde
21-Sep-10, 09:04
Toolstation £2.99 Free delivery when you spend £10 or over.

jock leith
21-Sep-10, 09:22

HOW much would the petrol cost going to Inverness ?????????

bridgeend
21-Sep-10, 09:58

You will find that Allans of Gillock are Very over priced on most things except there Timber which is reasonable

Commore
21-Sep-10, 10:33
I think everything is dearer up here in the north, and certainly we are in many respects held to ransom over the price / cost of delivery,
I am somewhat dismayed by this, because, I cannot fathom why it appears to be cheaper to post to the islands than it is to deliver to mainland north Scotland.

It's alright to (and I do believe we should) go all out to support our local shops, but these same shops are ripping you and I off, big time.

bekisman
21-Sep-10, 11:37
HOW much would the petrol cost going to Inverness ?????????

Please see #9 (above) ;)

Geo
21-Sep-10, 12:46

Where are you buying your fuel?! :)

onecalledk
21-Sep-10, 13:24
I think everything is dearer up here in the north, and certainly we are in many respects held to ransom over the price / cost of delivery,
I am somewhat dismayed by this, because, I cannot fathom why it appears to be cheaper to post to the islands than it is to deliver to mainland north Scotland.

It's alright to (and I do believe we should) go all out to support our local shops, but these same shops are ripping you and I off, big time.

if they are open, I am still astounded by the need for local shops to close at lunchtime! Shopping for trainers recently for a 9yr old was a nightmare, the price, the selection everything was unbelievable. How some local shops are still open is beyond me, they appear to do everything they can to stop people shopping !

K

changilass
21-Sep-10, 13:27
Where are you buying your fuel?! :)

Shhh don't tell anyone but he has a bright pink 50cc moped with a makup mirror attatched, and they go for miles on very little fuel at all.

Rheghead
21-Sep-10, 13:30
I followed a sign the other day in Castletown for a butcher's shop. I thought I would support a local shop but then called off the search after doing my nut in desperation.

Lumberjack
21-Sep-10, 13:36
Hi,
My parents recently decided that their TV was past it and priced a new one locally.
The price was £560. So they decided to go to the bank the next day to purchace said TV. I checked the internet and found the same TV for £320 with free delivery. Now, I am not talking about pennies here but, well, £240 is an incredible saving. Guess where we bought the TV?

Even Chance
21-Sep-10, 14:54
So:-

Things may be cheaper off the net, BUT, when you need that item right away what are your options?
My idea is to support local shop-owners wherever possible, so they may still be there trading when you need that urgent item right away.

Yer telly at 240 quid cheaper is a no-brainer tho, and I would have done the same!

Kodiak
21-Sep-10, 15:14
I followed a sign the other day in Castletown for a butcher's shop. I thought I would support a local shop but then called off the search after doing my nut in desperation.

The Butcher Shop is in Trail Street and it is called "Thr Castletown Meat Company" It is an Excellent Butcher and they sell really good produce. Here is a map to find it, green arrow points to Shop location :-

http://i53.tinypic.com/117gzv6.jpg

changilass
21-Sep-10, 15:25
Opposite the chipper

EDDIE
21-Sep-10, 16:46
if they are open, I am still astounded by the need for local shops to close at lunchtime! Shopping for trainers recently for a 9yr old was a nightmare, the price, the selection everything was unbelievable. How some local shops are still open is beyond me, they appear to do everything they can to stop people shopping !

K

Thats been going on for decades when all they have to do is stagger there lunch break its not rocket science i totally agree with you its silly

EDDIE
21-Sep-10, 16:51
So:-

Things may be cheaper off the net, BUT, when you need that item right away what are your options?
My idea is to support local shop-owners wherever possible, so they may still be there trading when you need that urgent item right away.

Yer telly at 240 quid cheaper is a no-brainer tho, and I would have done the same!

I dont support the local shop owners i support myself because no one else will you probably find that the shop keeper is buying there products in at trade price and times 2 the trade price as there mark up so no i dont feel sorry for them times are changing and if the shop keepers dont change as well they will be left behind

ducati
21-Sep-10, 17:26
Shhh don't tell anyone but he has a bright pink 50cc moped with a makup mirror attatched, and they go for miles on very little fuel at all.

I don't go anywhere without my makeup sorted :eek:

Bradcon
21-Sep-10, 17:37
Aye, cities maybe, but Macleans? Gone downhill since that new guy started a couple of years back, round about the same time as cef started to improve ;)

no they started to improve when they started getting quicker deliveries in the last 6 months.[lol]

Commore
21-Sep-10, 18:57

K

With you on that one!
and it's not only the shops you write of, but the smaller grocer types lying outwith the Town/s, are way too dear for any normal working class family to
cope with,
it is the pensioners and other vulnerable people who suffer the most, because they are dependent on these small shops.

crofter
21-Sep-10, 20:16
no they started to improve when they started getting quicker deliveries in the last 6 months.[lol]

Have to agree with you on that one, when that yellow & red van stopped coming North the deliveries were much quicker!!!!

Dadie
21-Sep-10, 22:04
I sometimes do shopping for someone else in the village for catfood and cat litter..and end up buying them the same as I do (when I do the shopping) as it is the best deal at the time..not fussy if its tesco/co-op/PAH etc...
I try and get them the best deal!
Pensions dont stretch far...

Bradcon
22-Sep-10, 17:32
Have to agree with you on that one, when that yellow & red van stopped coming North the deliveries were much quicker!!!!

hi crofter have u noticed that as well.;)

sharona
22-Sep-10, 18:21
stuff the shops order of the internet betime you put petrol in your car you can just there press some buttons and for few pounds deliver to your door so wants these shops down in this town

gunnlass
22-Sep-10, 18:48
With an attitude and spelling like that their probably better off without you.

bekisman
22-Sep-10, 19:13

Went past that sign about two hours ago, it's now pointing along the road in JOG's direction; wind?

Geo
22-Sep-10, 19:31
I dont support the local shop owners i support myself because no one else will you probably find that the shop keeper is buying there products in at trade price and times 2 the trade price as there mark up so no i dont feel sorry for them times are changing and if the shop keepers dont change as well they will be left behind

Have you owned a retail outlet? Markup is rarely 100% and often things can be purchased cheaper in Tesco than a shop keeper can buy it at trade. I agree that sometimes prices are higher than they need be however it's not always the shop keeper's fault.

bagpuss
23-Sep-10, 22:59
if you want a small retailer to stagger their lunch break , they have to have an employee. These days in small shops, takings rarely cover one wage, let alone two.

Bazeye
23-Sep-10, 23:04
With an attitude and spelling like that their probably better off without you.

Oh Dear me. :roll:

changilass
23-Sep-10, 23:05
Lol, pot, kettle, black springs to mind.

Nacho
24-Sep-10, 00:55
With you on that one!
and it's not only the shops you write of, but the smaller grocer types lying outwith the Town/s, are way too dear for any normal working class family to
cope with,

if you compare like for like, the local butchers will beat the supermarkets for price and quality, a lot of people are just inherently lazy and will do all the shopping in one place rather than walking 50 yards to the local butcher/fishmonger for much better quality, local produce.

if you want a small retailer to stagger their lunch break , they have to have an employee. These days in small shops, takings rarely cover one wage, let alone two.

Buttresses have a non-stagger policy on Saturdays (they close between 1pm & 2pm), it's lazy and short sighted to let all your staff take their lunches at the same time...

but on a positive note, during the Mod they will be open all day Saturday !
(so they can do it ... but only for the Gaels :confused)

EDDIE
24-Sep-10, 08:31
Have you owned a retail outlet? Markup is rarely 100% and often things can be purchased cheaper in Tesco than a shop keeper can buy it at trade. I agree that sometimes prices are higher than they need be however it's not always the shop keeper's fault.

Things are in a lot of cases cheaper in large stores than in local shops because they by in bulk and have more buying power than a local shop.
Maybey not foods but other products and parts do have a 100% mark up in a lot of cases they make more profit that the manufacture who made the product small business need to have a good mark up to pay for all the running costs of a business thats why the internet shopping is the biggest threat to local business because they wont have the same running cost thats why internet shopping is cheaper and also big stores have more buying power so can sell at cheaper prices thats why the local shops are struggling compared to 20 year ago times have changed.
Also you see advert saying 50 % of that product average person thinks thats a good deal must buy now but its only 50% of there mark up? they still made 50% profit of what they sell?
Its like when u haggle in a shop you might get 20% of and your happy you got that but the shop owner has still made 80% profit of the product
I have never owned an out let but i see plenty quotes and im well aware of markups quite shocking somtimes.

Kodiak
24-Sep-10, 10:16
Its like when u haggle in a shop you might get 20% of and your happy you got that but the shop owner has still made 80% profit of the product
I have never owned an out let but i see plenty quotes and im well aware of markups quite shocking somtimes.

Your calculations are not quite correct. As an example :-

Take an Item that a Shop that is sellingfor ...Say at £100.

Assume that this is the price with 100% Mark up.

This means that the item cost the shop £50....Then the Mark up of 100 % is £50.... = Total cost of £100.....OK

So the shop offers the item on SALE and reduces the cost by 20%.....For at £80 as 20% off would be £20.

This does not mean that the Shop still makes 80% Profit as the cost to him remains the same. ie £50.

So £80 Sale Price and take away the Cost Price of £50 wich leaves a Balance of £30 for the Profit.

Therefore the Shop is not making the 80% profit as you claim but is in fact only making 60% Profit.

That is 60% profit before you take into account of Rates, Rent, Electric, Wages, Insurance etc etc etc.

So even with a 60% mark up it is quite possible for a shop to make no real profit, or even a loss, after all expences are taken into account.

So although a shop will put on 100% Mark up this does not mean he will make 100% Profit.

EDDIE
24-Sep-10, 13:46
Yes Kodiak you are correct but you no what im getting at if you would probably find that items of a low trade price the mark up will probably be more than 100% because they will get away with it compared to buying product with a high trade price its not so easy to double the price expect people to buy it i think thats were the degree of sensibility will come in with them in there pricing.

merlamber
21-Oct-10, 22:57
I visit Thurso regularly, believe me most of the local shops do NOT overcharge. I have just been on my pre Xmas visit, bought lots of presents from Eye Candy, cheaper than here in Manchester and the owner is lovely really helpful, no pressure to buy lovely atmosphere. This shop doesnt close for lunch - support your local shops, with local staff and owners.:Razz:lol:

merlamber
21-Oct-10, 23:00
Not everything is dearer - Just visited Thurso, bought lots of Xmas presents, mainly from Eye Candy on Princes street, cheaper than here in Manchester and good quality. Support your loca businesses wish we had more here.

merlamber
21-Oct-10, 23:03
I visit Thurso regularly, believe me most of the local shops do NOT overcharge. I have just been on my pre Xmas visit, bought lots of presents from Eye Candy, cheaper than here in Manchester and the owner is lovely really helpful, no pressure to buy lovely atmosphere. This shop doesnt close for lunch - support your local shops, with local staff and owners

henry20
21-Oct-10, 23:18
I visit Thurso regularly, believe me most of the local shops do NOT overcharge. I have just been on my pre Xmas visit, bought lots of presents from Eye Candy, cheaper than here in Manchester and the owner is lovely really helpful, no pressure to buy lovely atmosphere. This shop doesnt close for lunch - support your local shops, with local staff and owners

Must be great service by time all 5 posts you've had have said pretty much the same!

bagpuss
22-Oct-10, 00:25
in the old days there were vans touring rural areas- the butcher, the grocer etc- often a local business. This sort of service was invaluable- and often seen as a lifeline to the old and lonely

These days that job is done by supermarkets.

Small business can only support one wage- fine if you have a good idea and are prepared to invest the time and energy- but in a small place like Caithness it is one living wage- no-one is getting rich

k1rst1n27
22-Oct-10, 12:41
It can sometimes be hard to support local shops, I get into town after work at about 10 to 5 - most shops are ready and waiting to lock the door at that time. If you do manage to get in you certainly shouldn't loiter - get in get out before you get the 'im wanting out of here' sighs and rolling eyes.

I think the mark-up is a catch 22 situation - if I were a shop keeper I'd put the maximum mark-up I think people would be willing to pay on an item but being a customer I only want to pay for the real quality of an item.

All said above about internet shopping...there is nothing stopping local shops embracing technology and going online themselves if it meant they would appeal to a wider market (and be able to shut for lunch if they want to continue with that rediculous notion)