PDA

View Full Version : engagements

annemarie482
20-Sep-10, 20:19
thought it might be nice to hear folks engagement stories!

was it a big gesture of romance?

was it forced out of your partner? lol

was it just another day?

telfordstar
21-Sep-10, 10:16
Well I got propsed to on xmas day in 2000. He had told me for weeks he couldnt afford to buy me any presents for xmas as we had to buy for our first son who was 6 months at the time. I was mega mad at him as id gone and bought what he had been after.

Id told all my mates and gurned at my mum about what a scrooge he was and how mega peeved off i was with him. There was nothing for me in on xmas from him but seeing as it was xmas i got on with it but was still mad. We had decided to spend our first xmas as a family in our own house just the three off us and during dinner he said was i mad at him for not getting me anything i said no no its ok, then he produced the ring and asked me. I was howling and everything and them did feel really bad for giving him the slating of a lifetime to all my mates!

ShelleyCowie
21-Sep-10, 14:13
Im not really big on romance. Me and himself were sitting talking about weddings as i was just bridesmaid at my best mates wedding, i was 6 months pregnant and we just said "why dont we just do it?" Knowing fine well we couldnt afford much because of having another baby on the way.

So a few days later he came out with a ring, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him (officially) and ov course i said yes.

Started planning our tiny little wedding and just under 8 weeks later we were married. I enjoyed our day so much, family and very close friends only (20 people including kids in total) so relaxed, no official photographer but still ended up with over 800 photos. Then out for dinner, in my pyjamas by 8pm! :Razz

Now thats the way to do it! haha!!

annemarie482
21-Sep-10, 14:37
well i also got proposed to at xmas, this little wee box had been under the tree for a fortnight, i was 100% sure it was earings as that was what i had asked for!!
come christmas day,
(my poor mannie had put his back out badly a few days before xmas)
in a lot of pain he felt the floor over the side of the couch under the tree until he got the box, handed it to me as i sat beside him and as i opened the box he asked me to marry him!
completely took me by suprise!
so hardly the most romantic display,yet such a heart felt moment! (aw gush!!)
that was over 5 years ago!

Cinders392
21-Sep-10, 14:52
Aww lovely stories

squidge
21-Sep-10, 15:14
Valentines Day 2007

We headed of to what i thought was dinner... he was all dressed up in his kilt. UP in the hills he stopped by the side of the road and asked me to get out. He went down on his kneesin the snow and asked me. After years of swearing that I would neverget married again I was just delighted and of course said yes yes YES!!!! He had bought a ring from Next cos he didnt want to propose with nothing and he was nervous about spending alot of money on something i might not like ( as if!!)

It took us 12months to find a ring I liked as much and the Next one regularly makes an appearance on special occasions.

We were married on 17th May 2008 at Urquhart Castle , in a home made, home written, non religious fun time with our families and friends. Fantastic day

Xposin
21-Sep-10, 15:54
xmas eve when it struck midnight we both put rings we had bought for each other on each others fingers and then proclaimed our love to each other & popped open the champers.

it was pre planned but still pretty cool.

Kodiak
21-Sep-10, 16:18
I first met the future Mrs Kodiak on a Blind Date on the 15th March 1973. We got Engaged on the 27th July 1973 and we were Married on the 17 November 1973. At the time a lot of our friends said they we were getting married far too quicly and it would never last, but here we are just a few weeks from our 37th Wedding Anniversary. :D

veekay
21-Sep-10, 16:45
I'm still waiting to be asked. The first time we met I was told ' You're going to marry me'. I did but am still waiting for him to pop the question - after 33 years should I give up?;)

billmoseley
22-Sep-10, 16:30
i proposed on my wifes 40th birthday in crete she had no idea and was over come with happiness god knows why she was only marrying me :lol:

annemarie482
22-Sep-10, 20:53
awwww thats some lovely stories!!
nice to have a cheery thread on here for once in a while :D
hope we get some more engagement stories!

Corrie 3
22-Sep-10, 21:32
awwww thats some lovely stories!!
nice to have a cheery thread on here for once in a while
hope we get some more engagement stories!
It was valentines day, 1937....I took her out for a meal and got down on one knee at the end of the night. I produced the ring and said "Will you marry me"....she said couse I will and took the ring,she went for a wee and I never saw her again!! I wasnt too disheartened cos the ring was one I found in a cracker the previous Christmas!!!!

C3...;):roll::roll:

AliciaMackinnon
22-Sep-10, 22:19
Well i think iv got the best story of all!!!!! My now husband unofficialy proposed to me the day before my 19th birthday (never got down on one knee and didnt hav a ring but it was still nice) then 3 weeks later he took me down to inverness saying we had to sort out his brothers bank,... so off we went and at lunch time we were sitting in pizza hut and he propsed again ring and all!!!! Like Shelly Cowie we just had a quiet wedding on the 21st of May 2010 just family because i too was 7months pregnant with our 1st baby!!!

nightspirit
23-Sep-10, 22:56
Too my then Girlfriend for a long weekend in Paris, did all the sights etc. During the second day i persuaded her to come up to the top of the Eiffle tower where i had planned to propose to her... Had been planning this for weeks .. i did know she was not too fod of heights but did not realise just how much she hated them and was so terrified when we reached the top but even after all that and terrifying her when i proposed at the top of the tower she said yes... was a wonderfull moment :))

Fluff
26-Sep-10, 15:38
Well, my OH has asked just this afternoon. Not very romantic, just back from the gym but he got down on one knee, with the ring in the box. <3

annemarie482
26-Sep-10, 15:44
Well, my OH has asked just this afternoon. Not very romantic, just back from the gym but he got down on one knee, with the ring in the box. <3

oooh!! well what did you say?!

Fluff
26-Sep-10, 16:05
lol, I asked him if he was pulling the pee, then said of course! We have been together for six and a half yrs :)

John Little
26-Sep-10, 16:14
We had been living together for years - and I had asked - to be told that we did not need a piece of paper.

The first thing I heard as I woke on 1 January 2000 was that question.

To which I replied 'Of course'....

OK - technically not the start of the new millenium but certainly the first of the 2's.

And a Leap Year...............

annemarie482
26-Sep-10, 16:28
lol, I asked him if he was pulling the pee, then said of course! We have been together for six and a half yrs :)

congrats!
:D x

cuddlepop
26-Sep-10, 18:51
I should have realised that marriage was going to be blited by drink as much as the proposal was.
So know happy wee story here I'm afraid.

If I was to do it again it would be as much fun as Squidges day appeared to be.:D

Oh knows its pointless asking me so its up to me to think of a quirky way to do it,if i so desire.;)

speedo215
26-Sep-10, 19:55
i was going to propose to my wife at the top of the london eye but the engagement ring i had chosen was out of stock so the proposal had to wait and i was gutted

I eventually got down on one knee at the band stand in duffy park aberdeen but had left the engagment ring in wick.

My wife then got given her ring in my parents back garden

manloveswife
26-Sep-10, 23:22
Year 1990, A lancashire lad just turned 20, walking his sweet sixteen 1/2 Lancashire 1/2 Scottish Girl home from the Eagle and Child in Leyland, had got over the fact she was a little too young (she was on the Vodka and Orange in the old Bird and Ba**tard when I met her a few months prior :lol:).

So, walking through a little wooded area not far from hers, out of the blue came the words from that young lads mouth, "Well, do you want to get married", and that was that. Her Dad wasn't too thrilled at the idea, so she wore the boys ring on a chain round her neck for a few months til he got the message.

She married me at 18, and no doubt a fair few "bet it wont last" were whispered, funny that 20 years on, all those we knew that waited til their 30's to get married have already got divorced.

whats the betting our teenage daughter throws that little tale in our faces in the not too distant future...............

Kevin Milkins
27-Sep-10, 00:34
It is thirty eight years since the infamous sound of "will you marry me"sweetened the dank air of the Welsh valleys, and of course, being a romantic I said yes.:roll:

I was fifteen and Mr's M (to be) was seventeen, and we also faced much criticism and cries of "it'll never work", but we seemed to have outlasted many a critic.:D

annemarie482
27-Sep-10, 21:55
you know it makes pleasant reading this thread.
lovely hearing of all your engagements :)

kjandcrew
27-Sep-10, 22:07
I was on the back of my ex-husbands scooter 15 years ago driving along crash helmets etc when he asked me to marry him - i said i didnt hear what he said and he said "ohh yes you did" i did!! and was so suprised and shocked i shut my visor - never ever forget it just a shame things turned the way they did

Dadie
27-Sep-10, 22:11
Huuby missed an opertunity..was looking in the jewellery shop in the market in Inverness just before christmas (at earings) when he asked me if I wanted a ring....that was it...went home via mum and dads to tell them...he still had to get me a christmas pressie that way:lol: