PDA

View Full Version : Golach equivalent?

Gus
21-Jul-06, 13:42
If the good people of Sutherland-shire call the good people of Caithness 'Golachs', what do the good people of Caithness call the good people of Sutherland-shire?

Polite answers only on a postcard....

canuck
21-Jul-06, 14:00
They told me about this once, it has something to do with drinking tea.

Moira
21-Jul-06, 14:01
If the good people of Sutherland-shire call the good people of Caithness 'Golachs', what do the good people of Caithness call the good people of Sutherland-shire?

Cattachs - of course :)

Gleber2
21-Jul-06, 14:18

Sutherland.... no shire

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 14:24
They told me about this once, it has something to do with drinking tea.

You're not thnking of the nickname for Thurso folk, "Tea in the Bowlies"?.....

Rubha_an_Tuir
21-Jul-06, 14:48
We are the Cattachs....

Sutherlandshire....hmmm....the elders in the village always referred to it as Sutherlandshire, it was shortened in the county changes I think.

RaT

Will Enquire further as I know this has reason and tales.....

canuck
21-Jul-06, 15:05
You're not thnking of the nickname for Thurso folk, "Tea in the Bowlies"?.....

That's it! Thanks.

And yes, of course, it is is in reference to Thurso folk, not Sutherlanders.

Having grown up in the heart of the Selkirk Settlement I just called Caithnessians and Sutherlanders my "friends."

dozy
21-Jul-06, 15:17
The word is" Sourachs "..thats means folk that have relations with close family members..(know what i mean) thats why their all Mackays......

Gleber2
21-Jul-06, 15:20
We are the Cattachs....

Sutherlandshire....hmmm....the elders in the village always referred to it as Sutherlandshire, it was shortened in the county changes I think.

RaT

Will Enquire further as I know this has reason and tales.....Was told by my teachers that Caithness and Sutherland never had the word shire attached. This was long, long before the county changes.

canuck
21-Jul-06, 15:30
Was told by my teachers that Caithness and Sutherland never had the word shire attached. This was long, long before the county changes.

The gravestones in Winnipeg from the late 1800's have "shire" attached.

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 17:28

Caithnessshire?

Hmmm, no never recall ever reading about a Caithnessshire - was Sutherland made into a 'shire' when the local boundaries were redrawn by the government a few years back? I known the old shire of Huntingdon was recreated at that time, even though it was only a district of Cambridgeshire...

This of course before they wer both swallowed up by the combining of several counties into the "Highland region".....

Gleber2
21-Jul-06, 18:09

How can you expect mere colonials to know anything???

canuck
22-Jul-06, 04:34
How can you expect mere colonials to know anything???

I have tried unsuccessfully to include a photo of the gravestone to which I refer. Of a Sutherland family listed on the one stone, the first was born in Caithnessshire, the second in Caithness and the third in Sutherlandshire. From it I conclude that there was a duality of thought amongst either the Sutherland family or the stone masons of the diaspora.

MadPict
22-Jul-06, 08:58
I don't think anyone doubts the fact you have seen this and there is the possibilty that the stonemason was English and therefore thought everywhere in the UK had 'shire' tagged on the end of it....

philupmaboug
22-Jul-06, 11:38
Does that make Englandshire, Scorlands biggest county??

golach
22-Jul-06, 13:23
I was always led to believe that Scotland never had shires, but had Countys of.
I live in the County of Mid Lothian, not Mid Lothianshire, Ross and Cromarty cannot be Ross and Cromatryshire neither can the Counties of Fife and Angus become Angusshire or Fifeshire. We have become a little anglisised:~(

MadPict
22-Jul-06, 14:10
Have to agree - as far back as I can recall it has always been the "County of Caithness" and if you look up "shire" in the dictionary it is defined as "a former administrative district of England; equivalent to a county".

Although having said that the word "sheriff" comes from "Shire reeve (Old Eng. Law), the reeve, or bailiff, of a shire" so why the Scots have Sheriffs Courts....

peedie man
22-Jul-06, 18:01
what about perthshire,invernesshire,rosshire and sutherlandshire or aberdeenshire,

peedie man
22-Jul-06, 18:17
or ayrshire,lanarkshire,morayshire or banffshire

MadPict
22-Jul-06, 19:07
They are all close enough to Englandshire to not matter......

From the 1887 Census:

Description in 1887, and location -
"SUTHERLAND, maritime county in the extreme N. of Scotland; is bounded W. and N. by the Atlantic Ocean, E. by Caithness and the Moray Firth, and S. by the Dornoch Firth and Ross and Cromarty....

Seems the National Library Of Scotland has some maps of Caithness dating from 1580 and at various points "Shire" has been used in connection with the County. More to do with who was drawing the map perchance?

Counties of Scotland, 1580-1928

Caithness
* ca.1636-1652 - Gordon 9: Cathenesia descripta ex magna ejusdem charta quam lustravit et descripsit Timoth. Pont. (manuscript)
* 1654 - Joan BLAEU - CATHENESIA - Caithness.
* 1654 - Joan BLAEU - EXTIMA SCOTIĆ - Northern Scotland.
* 1745 - Herman MOLL - The Shires of Caithness and Sutherland. With Strath Navern which is Part of Sutherland Shire.
* 1776 - George TAYLOR and Andrew SKINNER - Survey and map of the roads of...Scotland
* 1822 - John THOMSON - Caithness Shire.
* 1898-1904 - ORDNANCE SURVEY - One-inch 2nd edition maps of Scotland, with coloured parishes
* 1912 - J.G. BARTHOLOMEW - Survey Atlas of Scotland
* 1921-28 - ORDNANCE SURVEY - One-inch "Popular" edition maps of Scotland

golach
22-Jul-06, 19:55
Have to agree - as far back as I can recall it has always been the "County of Caithness" and if you look up "shire" in the dictionary it is defined as "a former administrative district of England; equivalent to a county".

Although having said that the word "sheriff" comes from "Shire reeve (Old Eng. Law), the reeve, or bailiff, of a shire" so why the Scots have Sheriffs Courts....
MadPict a short description

Sheriff :- England :- Chief Officer of the Crown in a county appointed annually, with duties relating to parliamentary elections, execution of process, summoning of jurors, etc for his county.

Sheriff:- Scotland:- Chief Judge of the sheriff court, it is a part time post held by a practising advocate except for the Sheriffs of Lanark and of the Lothians and Peebles