PDA

View Full Version : local builder

katarina
21-Jul-06, 12:30
What's happening to M M Miller's? Seems to be an awful lot of pay-offs. thought they had loads of work on.

topotheuk
21-Jul-06, 13:12
I heard that they are starting to buy in their kits instead of their own joiners making them?

mooncat
21-Jul-06, 16:26
Well it would help the local builder if when there are large jobs in the pipeline like Tescos Asda, the precinct to name but a few if they were aloud to even tender and maybe get one or two they wouldnt have to lay folk off.... I mean how annoying must it be, getting laid off when there is a supermarket getting built..!!! because your employer isnt able to tender for it as Tesco has a exclusive deal with Barrs..!!! they should have made it part of the planning consent that the work goes to a local firm to provide jobs and much needed money to the local ecconomy, instead the money is kept down south..

jaykay
21-Jul-06, 16:48
John Gunn and Son are a local firm. They are already working on the site. Perhaps Barrs will subcontract other work to local firms.

Jimbo
21-Jul-06, 17:25
I was one of the unlucky apprentices to be paid off - I've just finished my first year and am looking for an employer to take me on, so I can become a fully trained joiner - I cant even go to college unless someone takes me on. I have tried to get a placement but there doesn't seem to be much happening with the local firms. I'd be very grateful if anyone knows of anyone or I'm going to have to change careers !!!

katarina
22-Jul-06, 09:57
What about the 70 houses beside the cemetary, 30 at broadhaven, contract at dounreay? Even kit houses need joiners to erect them.

bigjjuk
22-Jul-06, 10:19
We have had a big drop in work just recently this is why wh have had to make payoffs, im sure the work will return, but to ensure Millers are around in the future we need to make unfortunate sacrifices.
We are still making our own kits and will continue to do so.
Katrina say about our future projects and when thses do start staff will be needed.
I hope this answers your questions

katarina
22-Jul-06, 13:06
hope so - cos I may be wanting one of those houses