PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble game player

Fran
21-Jul-06, 00:24
Did anyone else have a game of scrabble with Adrian who is cycling anti clockwise around Scotland and playing a game of scrabble each day wherever he stops.?
I have some lovely photoes of him but not sure yet how to get them on here.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Jul-06, 00:37
Did anyone else have a game of scrabble with Adrian who is cycling anti clockwise around Scotland and playing a game of scrabble each day wherever he stops.?

I never oor Fran.Hope he makes a bundle.Dae ye know that SUPERCALAFRAGALISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS...only gets ye 48 points in Scrabble....:lol: :lol:

katarina
21-Jul-06, 12:36
I never oor Fran.Hope he makes a bundle.Dae ye know that SUPERCALAFRAGALISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS...only gets ye 48 points in Scrabble....:lol: :lol:
you mean that's in the dictionary? I downloaded a game and play against the computer (very addictive) only problem is, it's an american game - and we all know that the americans can't spell - ah well. and before any one from across the pond argues with me - WE had the language first - therefore the way we spell it is RIGHT!

mccaugm
21-Jul-06, 13:53
I am soooo glad I am not the only scrabble addict. I also downloaded a game and play incessantly. Only thing is its the American version and they spell things in some wierd ways. Their is a leaderboard with about 10 or 12 levels. I am second from the top so I only have to beat the computer and I am "Perfect" LOL.

Rheghead
21-Jul-06, 14:05
Their is a leaderboard with about 10 or 12 levels. I am second from the top so I only have to beat the computer and I am "Perfect" LOL.
That surprises me!
Sorry, I couldn't resist:D

mccaugm
21-Jul-06, 14:09
That surprises me!
Sorry, I couldn't resist:D

Ha ha very funny.....:roll:

rockchick
21-Jul-06, 15:24
you mean that's in the dictionary? I downloaded a game and play against the computer (very addictive) only problem is, it's an american game - and we all know that the americans can't spell - ah well. and before any one from across the pond argues with me - WE had the language first - therefore the way we spell it is RIGHT!

I think you'll find that the English language has evolved quite a bit since United states became a country. We no longer speak as Shakespeare did, after all, or even Jane Austin. What's wrong with simplifying a spelling system that has adapted words from lord knows how many languages only to call them English?

I can't think of any word off-hand (and I'm sure some swat will correct me on this) that ORIGINATES in English. Not Greek, not Latin, not French, not German...but ENGLISH. Most of what we call english is corrupted Latin.

So, the Roman's had it first, not the Brits. sorry charlie, but c'est la vie!

rockchick
21-Jul-06, 15:31

I'm scheduled to play him tonight, Fran. Am I going to get thoroughly trounced???

mccaugm
21-Jul-06, 18:23
OK this is gonna sound really sad but does anyone know of local scrabble clubs in the Halkirk area?

Promise to use only words from the English dictionary.

mccaugm
21-Jul-06, 18:25
OK this is gonna sound really sad but does anyone know of local scrabble clubs in the Halkirk area?

Promise to use only words from the English dictionary.

rockchick
21-Jul-06, 22:59
I came, I saw, I kicked his b*tt!

Well, actually just tapped it. It was a good game, and very close right to the end. Too bad "ven" isn't a word Adrian!

Anyone else in Thurso addicted to this game?

katarina
22-Jul-06, 09:47
I think you'll find that the English language has evolved quite a bit since United states became a country. We no longer speak as Shakespeare did, after all, or even Jane Austin. What's wrong with simplifying a spelling system that has adapted words from lord knows how many languages only to call them English?

I can't think of any word off-hand (and I'm sure some swat will correct me on this) that ORIGINATES in English. Not Greek, not Latin, not French, not German...but ENGLISH. Most of what we call english is corrupted Latin.

So, the Roman's had it first, not the Brits. sorry charlie, but c'est la vie!

ok, so we didn't have ir FIRST, but we did have it before the americans (or canadians lol) What's wrong with it is - it mucks up my game of SCRABBLE! I mean it tells me JEW is not in the dictionary???????? (among others) Any americans tell me why?

rockchick
22-Jul-06, 20:28
ok, so we didn't have ir FIRST, but we did have it before the americans (or canadians lol) What's wrong with it is - it mucks up my game of SCRABBLE! I mean it tells me JEW is not in the dictionary???????? (among others) Any americans tell me why?

If I understand the story correctly, the official scrabble rules preclude words that could be considered racially offensive - I knew that NI*GER, for instance, is not allowed (asterisk is a "g"). Perhaps JEW is considered in this category?

It is in my list of scrabble three-letter words, though, so as far as I know, you can use it; unless you discount words that are capitalized? In that case, it would not be allowed.

Tristan
22-Jul-06, 20:38
I am not a scrabble aficionado but does it not depend on the dictionary you use. Both player have to agree on the the reference dictionary for the game, so even if it is a word in the complete OED, if it is not in the humble dictionary you have on your shelf (which you bought for high school or uni because you thought it would help and never bothered to open it) you cant use the word.
Makes the game very universal and playable in all countries with "local" words and rules. As they say "when in Rome....."