PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Prices

COACHMAN
20-Jul-06, 21:37
I see the price of fuel in Thurso is up again tonight £1.06 unleaded £1.05 derv.Wick Unleaded £1.04 derv £1.05.:mad:

Astra
20-Jul-06, 21:44
I see the price of fuel in Thurso is up again tonight £1.06 unleaded £1.05 derv.Wick Unleaded £1.04 derv £1.05.:mad:
Yes it's a disgrace when will it stop rising

cuddlepop
20-Jul-06, 22:00
Same price here on Skye.
Tourist numbers seem down on last year ,may have something to do with the price of fuel?Know we have to think twice before we go anywhere:mad:

davem
20-Jul-06, 22:03
93.9 in manchester last week, can't help but wonder who gets the difference!
Quite a margin even at retail prices.

mccaugm
20-Jul-06, 22:15
I am appalled that companies can do this. It should be the same throughout the UK. We are being penalised for living in the north. My husband says he has seen differences of about 20p per litre. I am fuming...:confused

Kenn
20-Jul-06, 22:19
Down here on the south coast both petrol and diesel now £1.02 a litre..

MadPict
20-Jul-06, 22:53

Well if the Middle East erupts expect higher prices and maybe even fuel shortages.......

Baconbuttie
20-Jul-06, 22:58
99.9p in Tesco Inverness at 7pm tonight. Wish I had bought it in the morning as it was 1p cheaper then. £1.04 at Richards garage Thurso early this morning.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Jul-06, 01:08
2 weeks ago we saved 5p per litre at tescos as we had just spent more than £50 in the supermarket. Cannot wait until tescos and asda open up here hopefully the will bring the prices down a bit

bky
21-Jul-06, 07:33
thats twice its gone up this week - each time by 2p - they havent had a delivery either

Tristan
21-Jul-06, 07:35
I find it funny that all the petrol stations ran out of fuel at the same time so when their new 'more expensive' fuel came in they all had to raise their prices.

Enough is enough! It is possible but highly unlikely that they are being charged 6p per litre more for their fuel than stations in Inverness but I (and probably most people up here) don't believe it.

I know we are small potatoes for the Department of Trade and Industry but they really should have a look at the petrol owners up here.

The current law on Price fixing, cartels and monopolies says:

The law aims to promote healthy competition. It bans anti-competitive agreements to fix high prices. It makes it illegal to agree not to compete with other businesses. It stops companies from abusing a dominant market position.

Department of Trade and Industry

pultneytooner
21-Jul-06, 07:43
Possibly never, remember oil is not an evererlasting commodity.

jaykay
21-Jul-06, 08:47
The sooner Tesco opens the better. We have ben ripped off long enough by the Caithness fuel station operators. No wonder some of the main objectors to ASDA coming to Thurso was a fuel station owner, his employees and his family members some of whom don't even live in Caithness.

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 10:06
The sooner Tesco opens the better....

What, so yet another fuel supplier can inflate their prices?
Don't forget, it was posted in this forum I do believe, that Tesco has stated they will NOT undercut the local fuel suppliers prices...

The Angel Of Death
21-Jul-06, 10:13
Yea i remeber that as well i think at a push tesco's will reduce it by 1 or 2 p and thats if were lucky i cans see them giving us the same petrol prices as inverness etc

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 10:42
They may well give 5p Off vouchers if you shop in their store, but I doubt if they will upset the Caithness Cartel and post their prices at a level which undercuts local businesses...

jaykay
21-Jul-06, 12:10
Why are the petrol station owners so scared of Tesco and Asda then?

Victor Vendetta
21-Jul-06, 12:28
The local garage owners know that even if Asda and Tesco charge the same price as them that the majority of people willl fill up as they leave the premises for convenience sake.

On the subject of pricing Asda allegedly have a national pricing policy i.e. the same price all over. I don't know if it's true and even if it is I don't think it will last for long once they see what they can charge locally.

I suspect the only bitter crumb of comfort we can take is watching the local petrol retailers go out of business.

Remember price fixing is the norm with regards petrol, the biggest cartel in the world is Opec.

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 12:29
Well, if Tesco sell fuel at the same price as further south, with additional discount for buying your groceries in their stores, you could be looking at 10p a litre cheaper than local retailers.

From the AA website average UK prices for today are:

---------------------Avg........Min..............Max.
Unleaded:..........98.2p......93.9p..........107.9 p
Diesel:..............99.6p......95.9p..........108 .9p
LRP:................100.4p......95.9p..........104 .9p
Super:.............103.7p......95.9p..........110. 9p
LPG:.................45.2p......37.9p............4 9.9p

You could see them either shut up shop or enter into a price war, which for the motorist is probably a good thing.

COACHMAN
21-Jul-06, 13:47
I have JUST SPOKEN TO ONE OF THE OWNERS OF ELM TREE IN WICK AND WATCHED THEM TAKE THE PRICE DOWN.
UNLEADED IS NOW £1.03 AND DERV £1.O1 for SHELL FUEL.
There policy is to over the Best price IN WICK.
By taking the price down will cause a lot of PHONECALLS from members of the cartel mentioned on this site.
ElmTree is Privately owned and the Price sare set by them and there suppliers.

MadPict
21-Jul-06, 14:20
Just in case you think that I have some inside info the subject of a "cartel" operating in the far north, it has been raised many times before on this forum -

http://forum.caithness.org/search.php?searchid=34304

Skerries
21-Jul-06, 16:06
On the subject of when local garages decide to put their prices up, I can say for a fact that they go up before the distributer's price rises because I have seen the paperwork showing what the wholesale price is.

If you look at the oil price predictions from UK and global web sites you can also see that as soon as the media report that the price will rise in a week or two, you can be sure it will rise in Caithness immediately.

The worst thing about this whole greedy business is that I have heard one petrol retailer claiming that they make no profit on petrol and are "practically providing a public service" by selling it at the prices they do.

Sickening. [disgust]

Bobinovich
21-Jul-06, 19:49
On the subject of when local garages decide to put their prices up, I can say for a fact that they go up before the distributer's price rises because I have seen the paperwork showing what the wholesale price is.

Are you willing to divulge what the wholesale price is???

Blazing Sporrans
21-Jul-06, 21:25
If the local suppliers have nothing to hide in terms of fuel pricing, why don't they make the simple gesture of publishing a statement in the Groat or Courier explaining a break-down for their customers in terms of wholesale costs, delivery costs etc? Or maybe I'm far too naive for my age? :roll:

Skerries
21-Jul-06, 22:24
Are you willing to divulge what the wholesale price is???

I don't know what the wholesale price is today but on occassions of previous price rises, I have seen paperwork which proved that the prices at the pump in Caithness were rising several days before the wholesale price was going up.

The petrol retailers won't provide evidence to show the real breakdown of prices at a given time because it would prove that they are pushing up prices before there is any justification, other than their desire to make more money from everyone.