PDA

View Full Version : Stirkock - anyone know whereabouts......

joakes
20-Jul-06, 21:33
Hi

does anyone know of Stirkock in the parish of Wick -
In 1798 in the Parish of Wick John Horne of Stirkock is valuated for lands of Thurster and Stirkock, Blingery, Wedderclett and Hauster, Heshwell and Quoylee.

Is it a farm or area?

Jean

fred
20-Jul-06, 23:25
Hi

does anyone know of Stirkock in the parish of Wick -
In 1798 in the Parish of Wick John Horne of Stirkock is valuated for lands of Thurster and Stirkock, Blingery, Wedderclett and Hauster, Heshwell and Quoylee.

Is it a farm or area?

Jean

Stirkock should be Stirkoke, Thurster Thuster, Hauster Haster.

Stirkoke was in the Sinclair family from 1507 to at least 1768 when Charles Sinclair of Stirkoke had it, he didn't have any sons, just a daughter Katherine who lived at Sarclet, she never married.

Fran
21-Jul-06, 00:01
stirkoke was a big farm, and the mansion burnt down. Lady horne married her second husband colonel richard henry hildreth. She was a keen horsewoman and died at Stirkoke after falling from her horse. she was buried at sea but her husband put a large memorial stone in the field where she fell. colonel hildreth died a few years ago aged 90 and is buried at bower.

joakes
21-Jul-06, 09:53
Thank you both thats very interesting - I like to have some background info.

Jean

lynn prow
22-Jul-06, 00:23
I see you had Wedderclett in this list. Does anyone know where Wedderclett is?

thanks Lynn

joakes
22-Jul-06, 12:34
Hi Lynn

I believe it is part of the Stirkoke estate

Jean

caroline
31-Jul-06, 23:34
I just thought I would add some more info about the people who lived at Stirkoke. My 3xg grandfather George Harrold was the Land Steward at Stirkoke House he was born 1808 and died aged ninety at Stirkoke. He had four daughters all brought up in Stirkoke House until they were married. Anyone who wishes to know who lived there can look up the census1841/51 on Freecen Enumeration District 4 page 10 you can view next and previous households. There was a lot of workers there at that time and I believe they also had their own school teacher.

I also believe Stirkoke House is still owned by the Sinclair Family.

Smithy
03-Aug-06, 15:02
There is a fountain in memory of General Horne at haster this is presently been restored by a local resident. There was an article in the John O Groat Journal about this.

joakes
04-Aug-06, 08:47
Hi Caroline

Could you please tell me how I find the district and page on freecen. I know how to do just a cenus search, but is this different?

Thanks Jean

fred
04-Aug-06, 10:32
Hi Caroline

Could you please tell me how I find the district and page on freecen. I know how to do just a cenus search, but is this different?

Thanks Jean

The 1841 census came in two parts, the town and the surrounding areas.

Stirkoke is in part two district 4, I believe Stirkoke house was the first on page 11 with Janet Budge housekeeper and Margaret Thomson servant. Two houses before on page 10 was George Harrold, the house after was James Watt coachman, next was James Ferguson apprentice gardner then George Hay gardner.

The only Hornes listed at Stirkoke were Henry the blacksmith and Ann his wife.

joakes
04-Aug-06, 11:37
Fred

The James Ferguson apprentice gardener was my gggrandad and he went on to be a gardener at Pitmedden and lived til he was 93. Its his father and mother ie James Ferguson and Catherine Horn(e) that I am trying to get more info on.

Jean

fred
04-Aug-06, 20:18
Fred

The James Ferguson apprentice gardener was my gggrandad and he went on to be a gardener at Pitmedden and lived til he was 93. Its his father and mother ie James Ferguson and Catherine Horn(e) that I am trying to get more info on.

Jean

There was another Ferguson at Stirkoke on the 1841 census, Adam 14 Agricultural labourer.

Don't know much about James and Catharine, a James Farquharson married a Catharine Horne in Wick in 1816 had two daughters christened in Thurso Janet 16 Aug 1817 and Mary 16th Mar 1819.

joakes
05-Aug-06, 11:00
Hi

Yes I have that marriage as well and Catherines parents from IGI but the certificate throws no light on where James is from, and all the birth certs say James Ferguson/Catherine Horne. I got onto Stirkoke as that is where the witnessess were from and thought it might give me another lead.
I cannot find James or Catherine on 1841> census although I can find a Catherine Horne marrying a Robert McLeod 1825, so think its possible James died and Catherine remarried. But I can not locate any deaths either. Its very frustrating.

Jean