PDA

View Full Version : What did i just see??

BillyEspie
18-Sep-10, 20:54
hey everyone, i was just wondering what it is a have just seen? i was sitting watching tv there and i just saw this long green thing like a shooting star but i ant sure if it was a shooting star or what it was, it was headed west what ever it was

AliciaMackinnon
18-Sep-10, 21:06
Me thinks u need ur eyes tested???? husband thinks it was an astroide.... Or mayb a spaceship??? R u sure rudulf hasnt gone green???

BillyEspie
18-Sep-10, 21:32
nah dont need my eyes tested lol it might have been meteor

mama2
18-Sep-10, 21:44
I saw it too don't know what it was but was very bright green x

BillyEspie
18-Sep-10, 22:15
well i am glad that someone else has saw the same as me all i know it very bright green and it was headed west, Hmmm wonder if anyone else knows what this could have been cause i'd like to know what it is

mama2
18-Sep-10, 22:22
Yeah me too I was roaring like a mad thing for hubby to come and look out window, he saw a bit of it aswell x

Mystical Potato Head
18-Sep-10, 22:27
How long did it last,a few seconds or was it longer?Was it parallel with the horizon or did it look like it was heading in a slightly downwards direction?,if you know what i mean.

davem
18-Sep-10, 22:37
Seen chinese lanterns floating over thurso a couple of weeks back.

unicorn
18-Sep-10, 22:43
My daughter saw it along with 4 adults and it was shooting through the sky got lower and lower and started to get red and broke into 2 parts and vanished.

Rheghead
18-Sep-10, 22:53
It was the Mother garden waste bin making collections.

crayola
18-Sep-10, 23:02
It was probably a green witch or a green man. They are quite common during the autumn equinox.

BillyEspie
18-Sep-10, 23:24
nah it wasnt horizontal it was heading in a downward motion towards the sea, i looked away thinking my eyes are playing tricks but looked again and it was still coming down through the clouds

Mystical Potato Head
18-Sep-10, 23:24
My daughter saw it along with 4 adults and it was shooting through the sky got lower and lower and started to get red and broke into 2 parts and vanished.

If it lasted no more than a couple of seconds max,then it was a meteor,the turning red is caused by it burning up in the earths atmosphere.Larger ones do quite often break up into several parts,when i say larger they are probably no bigger than the size of a small pebble and probaby nearer the size of a pea.
Most "shooting stars" that we see are the size of a grain of sand and the light you are seeing as they burn up is some 60-80 miles above us.

The colours depend on what the chemical make up is and also the speed entering the atmosphere.
A meteor becomes a meteorite only if it manages to pass through the atmosphere and land on the earth.
Some people make a small fortune hunting and collecting meteorites,from pebble sized ones to the much rarer "boulder" size.

dafi
18-Sep-10, 23:26
I just had a google and it seems that green shoting stars seem to be long lived when they burn up. The green colour was atributed to copper content.

Sounds realy cool, i have never seen a green one!!

Mystical Potato Head
18-Sep-10, 23:50
I just had a google and it seems that green shoting stars seem to be long lived when they burn up. The green colour was atributed to copper content.

Sounds realy cool, i have never seen a green one!!

Copper causing the colour is debatable.Some sites do say so,others will tell you its magnesium.Ionised ozygen gives of a green colour too i believe.

The Leonid fireballs of 1998-99 -2000 i cant remember exactly,but they were vivid green and came low over the horizon from dunnet head and went right across the sky,some broke up i n big bright red explosions leaving vapour trails that lasted for over 20 minutes.There was about i ever minute on average,but on occassion you would get several at the same time.
The shower actually happened 24 hours earlier than "normal" and was only by good luck that i stuck my head out into the garden just to see if there was one or two about.The shower which is caused by the earth passing through the debris trail of comet Temple Tuttle lasts for over a week but peaks on the 17/18thNov so by being a day early a lot of ppl missed it.In the morning going to work smaller meteors were falling,every few seconds.Back in 1833 there were an estimated 100 000 leonids per hour falling over the north of America.

Bazeye
19-Sep-10, 00:21
I'm going o Blackpool in November to see the hallucinations.

Mystical Potato Head
19-Sep-10, 00:56
does anyone know where i can see any pics of the thing that i saw or anything that might look the same so i can then decifer what it was that i have seen?

Go on youtube and search for meteors or fireballs.There are hunners.

Nacho
19-Sep-10, 01:18
does anyone know where i can see any pics of the thing that i saw or anything that might look the same so i can then decifer what it was that i have seen?

get back out there just now

i've just come back in from having a fag (no additives) and saw 3 meteors in that time.

no green tails, just a 2-3 second white flash, but cool nonetheless.

i'm looking West across the moors at the back of Pennyland.

laguna2
19-Sep-10, 06:33
Are you sure its not fireworks? ;)

upolian
19-Sep-10, 08:58
I also saw this,looked amazing!!

veekay
19-Sep-10, 09:35
Glad to see it wasn't just us who saw the fabulous meteor yesterday evening about 20.30 hrs. Heading westerly had a red ball shaped head and a long vivid blue green coloured tail.

Mystical Potato Head
19-Sep-10, 09:45
Glad to see it wasn't just us who saw the fabulous meteor yesterday evening about 20.30 hrs. Heading westerly had a red ball shaped head and a long vivid blue green coloured tail.

Sounds like it would have been in the "fireball" class,in other words,very bright indeed.

lildj
19-Sep-10, 15:42
its Chinese lanterns my friend was setting them off in her back garden as a memorial for her mother, up in the attomics.

u can buy them out of whatsits lol

Mystical Potato Head
19-Sep-10, 16:10
its Chinese lanterns my friend was setting them off in her back garden as a memorial for her mother, up in the attomics.

u can buy them out of whatsits lol

Of course it is. ;)

ducati
20-Sep-10, 09:29
It was changilass on her broomstick, she had a flame out on number 2 at 35,000 ft and it took her some time to recover. Poor lass nearly had to eject over Dunnet Head :eek:

changilass
20-Sep-10, 14:11
I was trying to keep that quiet Ducati, it makes prospective passengers wary.