PDA

View Full Version : social networking- do you really know the consequences

annemarie482
17-Sep-10, 10:19
for example:
apparently insurance companies are now using facebook to avoid paying out on policies.
eg:
if you post on facebook that you are going on holiday..........
then your house is broken into and robbed.......

the insurance company will not pay out as you have openly advertised that there will be no-one at home so its easier to rob.

so do we really know who's screening our pages, taking our information etc?
of course we dont.
do we think about what we post?
a very select few....maybe.

just a bit of food for thought.

starry
17-Sep-10, 10:29
I have the highest privacy settings on Facebook but am still wary of what I post, it is only common sense really isn't it.

I am amazed at how much info some folk are willing to put out there.

I had never considered the insurance things but am not surprised.

My friend met a nice (so she thought) guy online, they had arranged to meet up and she Facebook searched his email, although his page was private his daughters wasn't and through that she was able to see he was still living with his wife.

onecalledk
17-Sep-10, 10:46
most people are unaware of the dangers of facebook or social networking full stop. Having your profile set to show things like full dates of birth and now you can show your "hometown". A programme on tv a while ago showed how easily it was to get enough info to steal someones identity in about 5 mins on the internet. Easier if they have a facebook page with all the info on it. Employers will check facebook prior to offering the position for a job nowadays as well.....

Totally amazed at what the younger generation post especially with regard to photos and of relatives. Unless set to private the WHOLE internet can see it. Teenagers seem to not be able to think past their friends .......

K

Even Chance
17-Sep-10, 11:16
Well, where do I begin?

I have no interest in any of these types of sites, and I get very upset when I hear of somebody writing about me or posting photos of me and my family etc.

My business is exactly that:- MY business, and I dont want the whole world reading and knowing about it. If I did, I would be a celebrity, and be getting paid a fortune for the privilege.

As for the idiots that write about them going away etc, thats just plain stupid, and they should step back and think for a wee while before they post!

And as for Twitter!!! Yee haa, I just woke up, I just had a piece if toast! Get a life.
Who cares????

Rant over..........back to my normal boring life.:D

Sage
17-Sep-10, 14:04
there are also positives though! I have made some very nice professional acquaintances through Twitter, and even had a commission or two.

There are good sides and bad sides, you just have to be careful :D

Phill
17-Sep-10, 14:28
You have to be very, very, very (x100 very) careful what you do online.

Even using a board like this where you think an anonymous screenname is enough to secure your privacy - WRONG.

There are so many different things that can unlock your life even without the use of a social network site. Assume at all times that everyone can read and see what you post no matter how private you think it may be and that everyone knows who you are.

Even the use of photo hosting sites can trip you up, be careful what photo's you share.

Out of idle curiosity I have looked into different screennames, both on here and other forums, of people I did not know. A tiny little bit of knowhow, then to google, then to 192.com and bingo: name, address, age & possibly date of birth, phone numbers etc. etc.

If someone really wants to know about you then all the information is there for the taking.

Xposin
17-Sep-10, 15:16
i have 200,000 friends on myspace, prob about 8000 fae caithness, guess im knackered then huh?

but its still good to have a large network like that, guess thats what makes me such a great promoter lmao [lol]

sandyr1
17-Sep-10, 15:43
i have 200,000 friends on myspace, prob about 8000 fae caithness, guess im knackered then huh?

but its still good to have a large network like that, guess thats what makes me such a great promoter lmao [lol]

8000 people in/from Kaitness....sheeeeeeep & coos?

annemarie482
17-Sep-10, 15:44
sheeeeeeep & coos?

with laptops? :lol:

ducati
17-Sep-10, 16:29
You have to be very, very, very (x100 very) careful what you do online.

Even using a board like this where you think an anonymous screenname is enough to secure your privacy - WRONG.

There are so many different things that can unlock your life even without the use of a social network site. Assume at all times that everyone can read and see what you post no matter how private you think it may be and that everyone knows who you are.

Even the use of photo hosting sites can trip you up, be careful what photo's you share.

Out of idle curiosity I have looked into different screennames, both on here and other forums, of people I did not know. A tiny little bit of knowhow, then to google, then to 192.com and bingo: name, address, age & possibly date of birth, phone numbers etc. etc.

If someone really wants to know about you then all the information is there for the taking.

You are absolutely right Sydney Pollark of number 16 Larks Rise.............

Phill
17-Sep-10, 17:06
You are absolutely right Sydney Pollark of number 16 Larks Rise.............

Damn!!!!!!!

Thumper
17-Sep-10, 17:19
Whilst I agree it can be dangerous,I disagree about teenagers not being able to see past their friends,infact I would say a lot of teenagers are actually more savvy about the internet than most adults are,that said it is up to each individual and if I thought my child wasnt responsible enough to have a social networking page then I wouldnt allow it,hence why my teenage son doesnt have one.Privacy can be set to stop people who arent on you friends list from accesing you page,and apart from that it is pure common sense as to what you post,it is also stupid to add people you dont know,or hardly know just to make you look popular,as you are then leaving yourself wide open to danger x

George Brims
17-Sep-10, 21:07
Those people who thought up Facebook are so smart, making money from people's need to display themselves. It used to be you had to take a bit of trouble to build a "vanity web site" and they made it easy. Another thing I should have thought about and become a billionaire. The list keeps on growing...

Logical
17-Sep-10, 21:39
The Org isn't that much safer now is it.
You all post of your names, family, occupation which could easily be used against you.
Caithness has very little crime but it is not exactly criminal free.

Fly
17-Sep-10, 22:49
Well, where do I begin?

I have no interest in any of these types of sites, and I get very upset when I hear of somebody writing about me or posting photos of me and my family etc.

My business is exactly that:- MY business, and I dont want the whole world reading and knowing about it. If I did, I would be a celebrity, and be getting paid a fortune for the privilege.

As for the idiots that write about them going away etc, thats just plain stupid, and they should step back and think for a wee while before they post!

And as for Twitter!!! Yee haa, I just woke up, I just had a piece if toast! Get a life.
Who cares????

Rant over..........back to my normal boring life.:D

You are absolutely right. I have no interest in joining it and by what I have heard about it some folk must have a very boring life and little to do with their time

changilass
17-Sep-10, 23:00
Like all things, if you take a few precautions they are mostly safe.

Facebook is great for sharing pics with friends and family from afar, so long as you watch your safety settings.

starflower
18-Sep-10, 00:19
[/quote]Like all things, if you take a few precautions they are mostly safe.

Facebook is great for sharing pics with friends and family from afar, so long as you watch your safety settings.[quote]

I agree with above i have had a F/B for a long time initially had it to communicate with relatives abroad and who live in the south, find it weird when people who I dont communicate with want to be my friend?????? Whats that all about? I am quite happy to not accept people who I dont know or speak with in the county i actually live in, as I see it as another way to communicate with loved ones who live afar not someone who lives down the street from me :)

annemarie482
18-Sep-10, 00:27
i too have a facebook account and not too worried about my security as my settings are quite strict....
but back to the jist of my original post,
i hadn't realised things had moved onto a stage where insurance companies checked up on your posts, look at how many folk have been sacked for things they've said about their jobs on such sites, or sued for slander, prosecuted for "bullying" etc.
just makes you think.......

starflower
18-Sep-10, 00:41
Yes your right it does make you think, never thought insuarance companies would take the time to look, but then why wud u advertise ur holidays or say anything about your employers on a social network site?? Makes you wonder about the actual person and their reasons behind it! Gone are the days where we would just moan to each other face to face now we seem to want the whole world to know how we are feeling or what busy lives we lead!

teddybear1873
18-Sep-10, 05:16
I have this person who I have on facebook. I obviously wont mention names, but she was so excited on getting her new credit card, she took a pic and put it on facebook. Now thats thick, dumb and stupid.

She did take it off very soon after, but what was going on with her brain I don't know.

Phill
18-Sep-10, 09:20
I'd be interested to see the actual article about the insurance being refused. I suspect there may be more to it than meets the eye.

Even internet savvy peeps need to think about who and what can get access to your info, and could by hacking your account. There are groups of people out there trying to hack all these social networking sites and while your may be safe, so you think, the friend of a friend gets hacked and then they may get to your account.

People can so easily and inadvertently give information away without realising it, enough so that it could enable a villain to steal their identity and have a beano for a couple of weeks.

As for what you post about employers, or anything or anybody for that matter, well you need to think. Like posting on here, would you really say that in earshot of the person, company, group, race, religion etc. ?
If not, don't post otherwise it may come back and bite you in the arse one day.

There are search sites now that will troll the internet and find everything you have ever done, posted, submitted both professionally and personally including all your holiday snaps or whatever and then present it all in one neat little package. One of these sites pulls archived posts from nearly 10 years ago as I found out about myself.

annemarie482
18-Sep-10, 09:48
this isnt the actual item i had seen which states they are now using the sites for information to not pay out etc, cant seem to find it again but will keep looking, but its a much earlier one explaining the use and dangers etc.

http://www.socialtimes.com/2010/02/facebook-and-twitter-usage-could-raise-your-home-insurance-premium-by-10/

annemarie482
18-Sep-10, 09:53
another one here, has a link to a website that was called "rob me"
it would show up the posts stating people were out on holiday work etc!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35466408/