PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest?

Kenn
17-Sep-10, 09:35
Now we expect a few sheep in the road from time to time but in the last weeks have had to stop for hedgehogs, geese (domestic),mallards,pheasants,partridge and yesterday there was a rooster walking along the middle of the road!

What's the strangest thing you have had to stop for ?

achingale
17-Sep-10, 09:37
Well I chased a couple of what looked like young birds which could not fly for about 500 yards down a road at about 1 mile an hour then they had the cheek to fly off as I neared the junction! Cheeky little blighters. :D

Scunner
17-Sep-10, 10:23
Lizz, its Caithness and Sutherland, expect anything on the road, watch for Haggis soon, they appear between now and the end of January

annemarie482
17-Sep-10, 10:32
we drove over a giant lorry mud flap once!! (the size of the whole wheel arch!)
it was night time and we were heading to aberdeen. we were about brora when we turned a corner and there it was! in the middle of the road like a giant U sitting on the road!!
good job, our car at the time was a porsche cayenne so it's body was high enough to not do much damage. but it scared the heck out of us!

another time at berridale heading north we turned a corner just as a lorry coming the other way hit a large stag which exploded! we both hit the brakes, its head and legs came off and the remainder of the carcass spun in the middle of the road! we phoned the police as there was a flood of blood and the deer was huge and had to be moved, if someone had come across that they'd have crashed for sure!

another time, heading north from aberdeen behind a lorry, we'd just come on a roundabout when the big blue tarpaulin came off the lorry we hit the brakes, our front wheels went on tarpaulin and the rest of it folded over the car until we were covered!!

we're on the road often as you've probably guessed lol

onecalledk
17-Sep-10, 10:41
wow, I knew the A96 was dangerous and its not a road I particularly like driving but this is amazing ! you must get a tad nervous driving behind lorries ?

:)
K

upolian
17-Sep-10, 12:07
Letting the 'vampire' at portgower cross the road...

squidge
17-Sep-10, 12:25
Once coming off the m62 at the exit 19 I think - Hollins/Middleton I came up the sliproad to find the traffic coming to a halt as people were so busy gawking in the field next to the sliproad. I almost thought I was seeing things as four elephants strode along past the rather startled commuters.

I also once had to stop as there was a living room chair in the middle of the road. I pushed it to the side and continued my journey.

Corrie 3
17-Sep-10, 20:15
What's the strangest thing you have had to stop for ?
A Man in a blue uniform with a funny looking device that he wanted me to blow into.....I dont think he believed me when I told him I was teetotal but the last laugh was on him......off he sped to try and catch someone else!!
C3...:cool:

John Little
17-Sep-10, 20:23
The blinking peacocks down the road have forced me to stop on several occasions. Then they invaded our garden.

Like teenage vandals they ate all the wallflowers and lots of new sprouting plants before perching on the coalbunker and looking at us through the kitchen window - balefully.

Then my wife came home and shoo-ed them out of the garden, herding them out of the gate.

She has decided she does not like peacocks.

George Brims
17-Sep-10, 20:56
When I lived in Hawaii there were often mongooses crossing the road. They would get confused by oncoming traffic and turn back, then see another car the other way and turn again, eventually ending up running in a panicked circle in the middle of the road. As they are non-native and seen as a pest, you have to keep well to the side in case the guy coming the other way decides to aim for it. Hawaii also has a goose called the nene (pronounced nay-nay) which is sacred to the local religion. It's very similar in looks to a Canada goose but mostly lives on land. One night coming back from lava flow viewing I came round a bend on the Crater Rim Road on Kilauea volcano, and one was sitting in the middle of the road. Seeing as we were in the territory of the goddess Pele and this was her sacred bird, the anchors got applied pronto. I screeched to a stop and the damn bird never moved. I had to honk the horn to get her off the road.

Back in Scotland I've often seen blackface sheep sleeping on the road at night, probably because the asphalt stays warm. On the Loch Ness road SW of Drumnadrochit we once came upon a whole flock all down the centre line with cars whizzing past on either side. We also met a lorry drive on the Causeymire road one misty night, with a sheep pretty much embedded in the front grille. It was sleeping on the road too but not on the centre line, and the bloke, who was a bit shaken, said he had spotted it with no time to stop, and had tried to straddle it. "It would have been fine, but the stood up!"

I had a classmate at Uni who came from Nairobi. She said Kenya has the world's most unnecessary road signs - "Elephants have right of way".

Dadie
17-Sep-10, 22:30
OOh rememer the mongoose and wild chooks in hawaii.
Saw a few squished....
(it was our honeymoon so probably never got out sightseeing as much as we could have)
The worst I have driven through was a lot of frogs.....I couldnt possibly miss them all...and there was lots!

George Brims
17-Sep-10, 23:43
I forgot to mention my peacock experiences. On the farm where I used to live, the nearest neighbor was close to a mile away, and among a lot of other exotic beasties he had peacocks. You could hear them on a still evening, which tells you how loud they can be. Then our landlord decided to buy some too, a male and two females. Mr Fox promptly nabbed one of the hens, but the other two squawked away for years, until one day I was sent on some errand on my bike, and the male decided to walk out into the road between some broom bushes and I ran right over his scrawny bright blue neck. I chucked him in the bushes and carried on. I think the fox got the blame/thanks for that one too.

crayola
18-Sep-10, 14:42
Now we expect a few sheep in the road from time to time but in the last weeks have had to stop for hedgehogs, geese (domestic),mallards,pheasants,partridge and yesterday there was a rooster walking along the middle of the road!

What's the strangest thing you have had to stop for ?A Pope.

More or less.

John Little
18-Sep-10, 14:51
Once upon a time I worked on a farm and they had peacocks. Beautiful birds they were - the apple of the farmer's eye. Then one day the male got run over by this biker guy who sped off down the road...... after chucking the body in a bush.

You should have heard the farmer - beside himself with rage he was, waving a shotgun - if he ever sees that biker again - well I wouldn't be in his shoes.....

Hoida
18-Sep-10, 15:10
Some time ago on our way to Tongue met 2 pigs on the road near Bettyhill (ie the 4 legged variety):lol::lol:

Rheghead
18-Sep-10, 15:28
I had to do a diversion after a rhinoceras got onto the road, that was in Cumbria a few years ago. Trump that!! ;)

crayola
18-Sep-10, 19:24
I had to do a diversion after a rhinoceras got onto the road, that was in Cumbria a few years ago. Trump that!! ;)Cool. :cool: I visited the wildlife park not long after the rhino escaped. Did they have to shoot the poor beast?

I still think having to stop for a Pope on his way to hold a mass a stone's throw from Ibrox takes a bit of beating. They didn't shoot him though.

Rheghead
18-Sep-10, 20:16
Cool. :cool: I visited the wildlife park not long after the rhino escaped. Did they have to shoot the poor beast?

Yes, the park owner shot the animal as I remember. Again you had the same furore over it.

crayola
20-Sep-10, 01:04
Yes I can imagine both the anti-rhino and pro-rhino factions getting upset, one because it escaped and caused a kerfuffle and the other because the poor defenceless beast was shot. My kids loved the park.

I once had to stop for a moose which is one less time than I've been stopped by a Pope.

cullpacket
20-Sep-10, 03:37
A digger bucket left unattened by the council which wrote my off my car, the police never charged them either company policy?

Aaldtimer
20-Sep-10, 03:40
A digger bucket left unattened by the council which wrote my off my car, the police never charged them either company policy?

Did it just jump out at you?:confused

Jeid
20-Sep-10, 08:48
On my way to Kinlochbervie one day, there was a great beeg cow standing in the middle of the road at Laid. I stopped and it just looked at me as if to say "What? Can't you see I'm eating?"

The Angel Of Death
20-Sep-10, 09:04
On my way to Kinlochbervie one day, there was a great beeg cow standing in the middle of the road at Laid. I stopped and it just looked at me as if to say "What? Can't you see I'm eating?"

Snap proper brown trouser moment that one tell you what fred flinstone had nothing on me that day ;)