PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Book (Help)

Donnie
20-Jul-06, 10:01
I'm looking for a book that was written by a local. I don't have much detail about the book, don't even know the name. It was about local folklore and legends in Caithness. Illustrations in the book were drawn by Thurso Highscool Students. The book must of come out about 5 or 6 years ago. I think the person who wrote the book was connected with Aberdeen University in someway. Any help naming/locating the book would be greatly appreciated.

Elenna
20-Jul-06, 10:39
Hello Donnie,

I have a copy on my shelf of a small book titled Caithness: Lore and Legend by Donald Omand, Published by North of Scotland Newspapers 1995. On the second page there is an acknowledgment that says "The line illustrations were drawn by Gail Innes formerly of Thurso High School".

Could this be the book you are looking for? I got it in D.R.Simpsons in Wick, and have seen it for sale in other places in the county. I don't know of any connection to Aberdeen University, though someone else on here might be able to tell you...or pinpoint another publication for you.

I hope this helps. :)

Ricco
20-Jul-06, 10:48
There was a poem we studied at THS called 'E Silkie Man'. Can't remember much else about it.

Donnie
20-Jul-06, 11:39
Hello Donnie,

I have a copy on my shelf of a small book titled Caithness: Lore and Legend by Donald Omand, Published by North of Scotland Newspapers 1995. On the second page there is an acknowledgment that says "The line illustrations were drawn by Gail Innes formerly of Thurso High School".

Could this be the book you are looking for? I got it in D.R.Simpsons in Wick, and have seen it for sale in other places in the county. I don't know of any connection to Aberdeen University, though someone else on here might be able to tell you...or pinpoint another publication for you.

Yes that does help. I don't think that's the book as i'm fairly sure the one i'm after is more recent (possibly published in 2000) but i'm pretty sure now it was by Donald Omand. That should make it a bit easier to find.

Elenna
20-Jul-06, 13:02
Yes that does help. I don't think that's the book as i'm fairly sure the one i'm after is more recent (possibly published in 2000) but i'm pretty sure now it was by Donald Omand. That should make it a bit easier to find.

If I come across anything else likely, I'll let you know. Good luck. :)

jay
21-Jul-06, 07:57
Hello Donnie,

Donald Omand does have some connection with Aberdeen University - he's involved in some way with organising the public lectures you see advertised

Bill Fernie
21-Jul-06, 16:17
I think the book might be "Caithness Historic Tales" by Donald Omand published by North Of Scotland Newspapers in 2001.

The acknowledgement for artwork - is to Fergus Mather, Head of Art Development, Thurso High School and his senior students for their excellent illustrations.

The book has 20 short chapters on different characters, places, battles etc

The ISBN number is 1 871704 26 X

The book has 70 pages and when I bought my copy a few years ago it was £5.95 from D R Simpson, Wick. No doubt if you check with the book shop in either Wick or Thurso they will be able to order it for you.

Donnie
21-Jul-06, 17:04
Brilliant that's the book. I've also found a site that is selling it so I'm sorted. Thanks alot.