PDA

View Full Version : kefir (yoghurt culture)

moonshadow
20-Jul-06, 01:03
ive recently seen mention of this and got intrigued anough to read up on it. its a raw yoghurt culture that you add to milk to form a yoghurt. does anyone here use it ?

_Ju_
20-Jul-06, 09:12
I tasted it once. It is an acidic yogurt that I found pleasant, but then over here yogurt is much milder and not acidic at all. I prefer yogurt with a big tang..... its been a while but I think this yogurt culture taste a bit like plain greek yogurt does here.

Saveman
20-Jul-06, 12:05
I've had it in the past, it's very good. I'd like to get hold of some if anyone knows a cheap (or free:o)) source?

Elenna
20-Jul-06, 12:47
You can actually use any plain, live culture yoghurt (a small pot at the supermarket should be less than 50p) to make yoghurt of your own...roughly two tablespoons of live yoghurt to a litre of warmed milk. You then save two spoonfuls of the new yoghurt to start the next batch. Very economical.

I have done this for many years. Its quite easy, and there are a number of methods, including using a thermos flask. For a thicker "set" yoghurt you simply pour the mixture into a cheesecloth and leave it to drain overnight.

I would be happy to send more details if anyone wants them.

moonshadow
20-Jul-06, 14:48
I've had it in the past, it's very good. I'd like to get hold of some if anyone knows a cheap (or free:o)) source?

im actually in arrangments to recieve some milk kefir and water kefir from someone via a kefir sharing list if it all goes to plan and i get some i will gladly give some to you. theres not many this far north to share from, so it would be great to create a network here :-)
but if you want to try and get some of your own before then, message me and i will happily give you the share list details.