PDA

View Full Version : Going bald at ears

ShelleyCowie
15-Sep-10, 23:32
Have noticed over a week now that Fintans ears are going bald :eek: He seems to be scratching them because i can see wee claw marks around his ears. Could it be ear mites??? I hope not!

Anyways, thought i would ask here first as he absolutely hates going to the vets so dont want to traumatise him if i dont have too.

He doesnt seem too bothered by it, just a wee bit itchy by the looks of it.

Any help welcome!

_Ju_
16-Sep-10, 08:04
What is Fintans? A cat? A dog? How old is he and how long have you had him?

teenybash
16-Sep-10, 11:13
Shelley if it is mites you can buy ear drops that need not involve a visit to the vet. Ear mites are easily dealt with.....the more he scratches the more likely it could turn into an infection and that would mean vet, but I would buy some drops from what ever pet supplier you use and use them first....Good luck as most cats I have had hate getting drop in their ears.....:eek:

ShelleyCowie
16-Sep-10, 13:19
What is Fintans? A cat? A dog? How old is he and how long have you had him?

He is a cat, my OH has had him since he was a kitten and thats been 8 years now.

Shelley if it is mites you can buy ear drops that need not involve a visit to the vet. Ear mites are easily dealt with.....the more he scratches the more likely it could turn into an infection and that would mean vet, but I would buy some drops from what ever pet supplier you use and use them first....Good luck as most cats I have had hate getting drop in their ears.....:eek:

Cheers teenybash, will get him some drops to see if that helps. Hopefully it prevents a trip to the vet, its not the vet bill that bothers me...its just i dont want to upset him if i dont have too. last time i had him there for a cut on his neck and it took him months to forgive me, and about the same time for the cuts up my hands and arms to heal :lol:

If the drops dont work i might just call a vet out, might be less traumatising than actually taking him there.

_Ju_
16-Sep-10, 14:39
What colour is he (mostly white?) or are his ears white? Is his nose pink or brown/black)? Is the balding on the tip or base of the ear? is he an outdoor cat?